‹ Prequel: Turn Right

Into My Arms

Valentines Day Date (oh-no)

My POV

Joe and I were out for a jog. It feels like it’s been a while since we went together…I noticed we were running by Rachael’s house…I started slowing down when I saw her bring Eric out of the house. I came to a stop and Joe stopped as well as we gawked over in their direction…and he kissed her. It seemed like she kissed back…but then she pushed him away and smacked him and they began to yell at each other. It took everything in me to not go over there and punch the guy, I had some kind of self control…that and Joe was gripping my arm the whole time, dragging me along.

“Come on Nick,” he said and reluctantly I started jogging with him again.

I saw it…was she going to try and deny it. I wasn’t mad at her…I don’t think…she did push him away…and she even slapped him. So I shouldn’t be mad…that’s what I thought before I turned my head again to look at the house…and I saw, through the window, Eric groping her against the wall…at least that’s what I think I saw. My jaw dropped…but Joe kept pulling me along. Maybe I didn’t see it and I just wanted an excuse to be mad and punch Eric, so my eyes made me think I saw it…this couldn’t be happening…right?

TIME LAPSE

I have to admit, I was kind of nervous about tonight. I wasn’t sure if it would turn out well or just end terribly bad. I tried to ignore the image of Rachael and Eric making out right in front of my eyes…and I just wanted a good evening with my girlfriend. I wasn’t sure if I was in denial…wanting to believe that was I saw wasn’t true. I wanted it so much to just be false and I made myself believe that it wasn’t real. I was caught up in my thoughts as I arrived at Rachael’s place.

Anna must have seen me pull up because I saw her open the door immediately as I walked up onto the porch and walked in. I noticed Anna was in the process of putting her earrings on and she was wearing a black dress and she looked really nice.

“Wow Anna you look great," I commented with a nod.

“You don’t look too bad yourself,” she commented.

It was very strange how her and Rachael were so alike…amazing looks, very talented, funny comebacks, same comments.

“Hey,” Rachael’s voice sang. She was wearing a black, simple dress, similar to Anna‘s, yet different…and she made look fantastic.

“Wow…you look…”

“Great? Because I believe you’ve already used that one,” she joked.

“Awe Nicky, and I thought I was the great one here, I thought we had a thing going,” Anna joked as well and I just laughed at both of them.

“Pick another line,” Rea added.

“You both look amazing” I ended. “Ready to go?” I asked as I handed her a rose that I held behind my back.

She smiled down at it but her smile was languid. “Yep…see ya later,” she sang to Anna. “Good luck,” she sang back. “Thanks,” we both laughed and then walked out the door.

I took her hand. “You look beautiful,” I whispered and we walked to my car. “Thank you,” she whispered back…but avoided my eyes…something was different.

I opened the door for her and she got in. I rushed around and got in and began to drive. The car ride over…was different too. Usually, Rachael and I could be in each others presence and not have an awkward moment…just enjoy one another…but this time…I could feel some tension. She leaned her elbow on the edge of the door and just starred out the window as she held her head up with one hand. She was definitely deep in thought and I could’ve sworn I saw her lip quiver as tears formed in her eyes.

“Hey…are you alright?” I asked as I kept glancing at her and at the road.

“Hey…I’m fine…just excited for tonight,” I saw her smile at me before starring back out the window. I left it at that.

We got to the restaurant, I helped her out of the car and we walked in together. I told the host my reservation and we were led to a table in a quiet section. At first it still felt kind of weird…but she eventually got out of her trance and she started acting like Rachael again. We were talking, joking around and just…enjoying our date.

We ate our food. The waiter took our food and brought us our dessert. But eventually we just pushed our dishes to the side and I held Rachael’s hand. I pulled out a small velvet box.

“I know you said no presents…but a present is something wrapped…this one isn’t wrapped…and I was going to give it to you last Christmas but I chickened out” I said before she could say anything.

I slid it over to her and she just looked down at it. “Not going to open it?” I questioned. “I will…just not yet…” she answered and I don’t think she was planning on opening it.

Something was wrong…and I wanted to know what. I wasn’t waiting anymore. “I know about you and Eric…what happened today,” I started as I sat back in my seat.

“You do?” she asked in shock as she leaned forward and I saw her face went a little red…which rarely happened.

“Yea…I saw it all…” I started to say and her face turned a deeper shade of red.

“Nick…I was going to tell you…and I don’t even know how it happened or what happened…and he…” she started to babble.

“Its okay Rea,” I sighed.

“It is?” she asked with more shock than before and her eyes narrowed as if she was looking for answers as the red went away as she became dubious.

“Yes…I want to punch the guy for kissing you like that…but I saw you pushed him away and I even saw you hit him…I’m not mad at you,” I said.

Now, she looked…almost guilty. “Is that all you saw…you saw me push Eric away…and you saw me smack him?” she asked. I debated on weather I should tell her what I thoughtI saw.

“What else happened?” I snapped.

It was unintentional…but I think I saw it coming. Her face flushed. “I think I saw you guys walk in and then…don’t even tell me,” I laughed without any humor whatsoever.

She was silent and avoided my eyes. I got her to look at me and leaned forward and we had a stare off. “You didn’t Rachael” I said in disbelief.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen her go so white to red, back to white. “What do you think I did?” she inquired with an attitude.

“Why was he there anyway?” I shot back.

“I cant tell you”

“Cant tell me or wont tell me?”

“Cant,” she snapped.

“Why not Rachael? Afraid to tell me the truth? To tell me that you’re not different from Miley. That you’re just as bad as any girl out there?” I spat.

I never intended to mention Miley’s name…and I never wanted this to happen. Her jaw was slightly dropped and her eyes glared daggers at me…I never wanted to ever receive that look from her. I wanted to take it back…but I didn’t.

“For your information…he came over because he found out his sister had cancer, it spread to her liver and she wont make it,” she snapped with venom in her voice.

“Yea, who made up that one? You? Or did he tell you to tell me that?” I snapped. I don’t know why it was coming out but I couldn’t stop it.

I saw pain flash across her eyes. She was telling the truth, I could see it in her eyes…and I felt incredibly bad for his sister…but I just didn’t want to let this go.

“Are you friggin kidding me?” she hissed as she leaned forward as well.

“No. Are you kidding me? How did this whole thing turn on me?”

“Because you’re a fucking douche bag Dick-olas. I just told you his sister is dying and you think I’d lie about that?” she said…and I felt bad again.

I was taken back though...Rachael never said words like "fuck". Maybe "shit"if anything but never "fuck"

“And for the record…when Eric and I were kissing, I pushed him away before it got too out of control because I was thinking about you the whole time…and it wasn’t fair to you or him…so you know what? I feel bad enough about being a slut in this whole thing and I don’t need you telling me that” she said as she stood up and grabbed her purse.

“I didn’t say you were a slut,” I tried to reason with a more gentle tone as I stood up.

“No but you implied it,” she narrowed her eyes again.

“Where are you going?”

“I’m going home before I lose it and slap someone for the second time today…you got lucky this year, my hand isn’t colliding with your face”

But I think I just lost you.

“Rachael, wait!” I yelled as I grabbed the velvet box off the table and raced outside after her. “Let me at least drive you back” I pleaded.

“No. I’ll walk” she said, without looking at me. “Just…leave me alone Nicholas” she said and I stopped in my tracks, watching her leave.

I opened the velvet box and just stared at the tiny diamond ring. So much for that.
♠ ♠ ♠
<<333