‹ Prequel: Turn Right

Into My Arms

Couldn't Handle It

My POV

It all happened so fast. Rachael was now on the ground with paramedics rushing to her aid as I was being pushed back by police. She was put in a stretcher and into the ambulance as Anna managed to fight her way through and get in the ambulance with her. I got right in my car and began following them. I stayed close so as people went to the side for the ambulance to pass, they wouldn’t pull out back onto the road until I passed too.

We got to the hospital in seconds and as Rachael was rushing to the ER section, I parked my car and got out, seeing Joe and Demi getting out of Joe’s car, Kevin and Danielle got out of Kevin’s car and dad, mom, Frankie and Big Rob all got out of Big Rob’s jeep. I looked at all of them with a pacnicked expression as they all sympathized and Demi took off toward the hospital with Joe on her tail and Kevin and Danielle followed in pursuit. It took me a minute to process everything but I didn’t even finish the processing in my head when my legs took off, leaving my head behind me. I ran so fast, I caught up to the others and ran right passed them, almost breaking through the glass of the glass door.

“Rachael Lewis,” I demanded.

The receptionist looked at me with a confused look and almost panicky as she began to rumage through some papers.

“She hasn’t even been admitted yet”

“Well do you think you can tell us which room she might be in,” he snapped.

She seemed bewildered by my request. I starred at her, waiting, petulantly for some kind of answer, needing to know what she knew.

“Nicholas,” mom berated. I forced the attitude away from my face when I spun around to look at her. Her facial expression suddenly became gentle. “Give the doctors some time to check Rachael” she said.

“In the mean time, I think you should check your levels," dad instructed.

“My levels are fine. I just want to see Rachael”

“Nick…” Joe gestured to the side with his head as him, Demi and Kevin all got together.

I sighed and followed them over to a different section of the subdued waiting room. “What” I snapped but avoided all of their eyes.

“First of all…Rachael would be scolding you right now for not checking your levels…”

“Don’t talk about her like she’s dead. She’s not dead,” I sent daggers at him…I never sent daggers at Kevin before…or at least, never since I first found out about my diabetes…

“Nick…you have to calm down,” Demi said gently and delicately placed her hand on my shoulder.

I tried imagining it to be Rachael’s touch and I calmed down a little but I still wasn’t the same. “I’m sorry,” I muttered.

“It’s okay Nick…she’ll be fine. We don’t even know what’s wrong yet. Don’t get so upset and stressed yet,” Joe told me and I just nodded.

It felt like hours went by when it was about ten or fifteen minutes while I paced, fidgeted and checked my watch constantly. When I saw Anna coming toward us with a stressed look, I jumped over to her.

“How is she? Where is she?”

“Room 221 on the third floor, but Nick…” she said but before she could finish, I took off.

I raced to the elvator and began pushing the up button repeatedly. I had no patience though. So I took the stairs. One flight…two flights…three flights…skipping steps. By the time I got to the second floor, my legs felt like jell-o but I ran to the reception desk.

“Rachael Lewis. Where is she?”

“You cant go in to see her yet hon,” she said, really nicely and she didn’t deserve my attitude when I said,

“I need to see her now

“Nick,” Kevin scolded as he pulled me away.

“We’re really sorry about him, he needs to check his levels,” Joe said to her and then looked at me with concerned eyes as him, Kevin and Demi all surrounded me.

“Nick you cant see her yet…I don’t think you’d be able to handle it,” Demi said, much more gently than I imagined Kevin or Joe saying it.

“Anna said she has tubes going in and out of her, she has burns on her body and her ankle is fractured…it isn’t a good time for you to go in and see her,” Joe said as his eyes were sad and painful to look at.

“I don’t care what she looks like, she’s my girlfriend and I love her no matter what…”

“We know you do. And we arent saying that you care what she looks like…but the fact that you love her so much is what will make it emotionally hard for you,” Kevin said.

“I want to try…” I said, more lightly.

“Okay…” Demi said and Joe and Kevin starred at her. “How about you go check your levels and meet us in Rachael’s room. Anna said she’s asleep right now so you wont be missing anything,” she said and I nodded.

I began to walk away, in search of a bathroom close by.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

As soon as I was done, I did a major power walk and found Rachael’s room quickly. I admit, I was kind of nervous to go in. the more I thought about it…the more it hurt to just think about Rachael being hurt…let alone be in a hospital bed. Without giving it a second thought, I walked in. Everyone was in there…but all I saw was Rachael. She was asleep, peacefully…and if she was in her own room, I would just stare at her in awe and think she was dreaming sweet dreams. But it wasn’t like that. The wires, machines…the whole scenery gave away the illusion. I walked to the side of her bed. I heard mom say she was going with dad, Big Rob, Anna and Frankie to get some food because they havent eaten and to make some phone calls. I wasn’t exactly zoned in on her voice. I noticed Kevin say something to Joe…something about needing to get Danielle home because she was having a family thing tomorrow. Kevin placed a hand on my shoulder and Danielle kissed the top of my head before they both walked out.

“We’ll be right back,” was all Demi said before her and Joe left. I pulled the chair closer and sat down.

I grabbed her hand, hesitantly and held it securely. I starred at her face and then my eyes dropped down to the ground.

“You know…I love the way you hold my hand,” a raspy whisper flew in and out of my ears.

My head shot up and I saw her loving eyes staring at me. No matter where she is, what shit shes been through…her blue eyes always seem to have so much love in them…whenever she looks at me.

“Rachael…” I whispered.

“The way you hold my hand makes me feel safe…but it makes me feel like you think I’m going to disappear…I’m not going to disappear Nick”

“You almost did though…and no one will tell me what’s going on,” I said and my voice cracked a little as I managed a smile.

“Well I’m still here…and I don’t know what’s going on anyway. So it’s okay…stop stressing so much,” she joked as she relaxed more into her pillows. I had to let out an airy laugh.

We were silent after that. I began to rub her hand with my thumb. “Why didn’t you tell me?” I asked lightly and quietly.

She knew what I was talking about…and maybe now wasn’t the right time to ask her about it…but it was the only time I had alone with her for the moment…and I don’t think it could wait anymore. She sighed and stared at the ceiling as I starred at her, patiently, waiting for an answer. Sometimes, I think all my patience goes toward Rachael. Then she looked at me with…pleading eyes. I could see her blue eyes begin to shimmer…tears were filling but she was fighting them back. It was almost as if she thought I wouldn’t believe her. Did she think I wouldn’t believe what she told me?

Her lips quivered. “Because it was in the past and…I didn’t want you to get mad and think I was trying to create more drama…I told Eric I didn’t want him around anymore because I don’t want anything else to get in between us…Nick, when I just watched you walk away before…all of this happened…I was afraid you weren’t coming back…you didn’t make any breakup official so I knew you were telling the truth when you said you would call me but still…I was scared…I don’t want to feel scared about losing you…” she babbled a little

“Rea…when I left…it was just to blow off some steam…I don’t want you to be afraid about that…”

“I know. But you used to come to me when you needed to blow off steam…but in the past year…year and a half maybe, you’ve been walking away from me instead of coming to me…”

“I know, I know…” I started saying as I began to shake my head.

“Rea…you’re my girlfriend…what’s more, you’re my best friend…I tell you everything…I used to…”

“Why do you feel like you cant anymore?”

“It’s not that I feel like I cant…I just feel like whatever I tell you now will become a whole drama story”

“I understand completely” she laughed lightly.

“But I don’t want that anymore” she added.

“Me either…”

“You tell me anything you want and no drama will be attached”

“Okay…same thing goes for you”

“Of course…I tell you everything anyway…do me a favor now?”

“Anything”

“Kiss me please,” she requested. I smiled and placed my lips on hers.

Then we pulled away and I got lost in her eyes…and Demi and Joe walked in. “Rachael!” Demi cheered as she raced over to us, pushed me out of the way and was at Rachael’s side immediately.

I went to step forward. “Rea rea!” Joe cheered and he pushed me further away (on purpose) but he just smirked back at me and he started laughing at me.

“I’ll be right back,” I told her and she smiled and nodded.

I walked out, pulling my cell out. The tears began to flow down as I dialed the number. “Miles…Rachael’s in the hospital…” I whispered.

~~~~~~~

I would’ve called Maya and I know she would’ve been here in a second but she was with her mom, seeing some family. I paced around downstairs, trying not to punch the wall. Kevin was right. I couldn’t handle that. Seeing her in that bed with those machines surrounding her. Miley came rushing in, looking around.

“Miley,” I said and she rushed toward me as I rushed toward her and she wrapped her arms around me tightly as I did the same to her and she grabbed the back my of my hair lightly, like she used to. I burried my face into her shoulder.

“It’s okay…she’s going to be fine,” she told me.

I just stayed silent. Then I saw Liam came rushing in as well and he came over to us. He gave me a sympathetic look and I let go of Miley to greet him. Demi was already here, up with Joe, who else could I call?

~~~~~~

Dad, mom, Frankie and Big Rob all went home and now it was Anna, me, Joe, Demi, Miley and Liam all in the room with Rachael and we were all talking and laughing. But eventually, visiting hours were starting to come to end.

“Nick you cant stay here with me. Go home and get some sleep,” she said. I just starred at her, not wanting to leave her side.

I knew how much she hated hospitals and I didn’t feel right just leaving her uncomfortable. Anna got permission to stay here with her over night and even though it made the situation so much better, I was still uneasy about the idea of leaving her here. But I saw the determination in her eyes and knew she didn’t want me to stay over night…but I saw she was conflicted because I could tell she wanted nothing more than to have me stay. Miley and Liam both hugged her, before leaving and then Joe and Demi hugged her as well, Joe kissed her cheek before standing up straight.

“We’ll wait for you outside the room,” he said.

“We’ll be back tomorrow,” Demi added before they both walked out.

“I’ll go see if I can get you something to snack on,” Anna said and walked out.

“You’re sure you’re going to be okay?” I asked again…for the sixtinth time. She laughed lightly.

“Nick, I’ll be fine. I promise. Go home, get some sleep and stay out of trouble,” she said and when she did, I knew what she was talking about.

She meant, don’t go looking for Eric…and only because she asked me to, I wont do it…no matter how much I wanted to.

“Alright. I will…just hurry up and get checked out of here. Don’t give the doctors a problem. The sooner you get out, the sooner we can go home together,” I said and kissed her forehead but stayed close so our faces were inches apart.

“I’ll be back tomorrow as soon as Anna gives me the okay,” I told her and she nodded.

Then she kissed my lips as my hand went to her cheek and I deepened it. I pulled away and starred into her eyes. We were silent for a little bit…just enjoying the moment.

“Okay…go home,” she said, quietly…which gave away the fact that she wanted me to stay.

I could hear it in her voice. “I love you” I told her. She smiled a smile I’d die for.

“I know…I love you too,” she said and kissed my lips again, this time it was quick and sweet.

I kissed her back, quick and sweet, just wanting to continue feeling her lips on mine. Then I walked out to Joe and Demi and they looked at me with somewhat expectant looks. I sighed.

“Lets just go home,” I said and without a response, the three of us just headed out.

Rachael’s POV

I tried sleeping. It was really hard though. Anna was sound asleep beside me in a chair. I looked down at my body, afraid of what was under the sheets shielding my injuries. The damage was much worse than what I told Nick. I have to wear a foot brace for a while and bandages around the lower part of arm because the burns were kind of bad. I had bandages wrapped around my stomach tightly because apparently I had some broken ribs and the burns there were pretty bad as well. I threw up because the smoke was too much for me to handle and everything was so overwhelming, I just couldn’t take it. The doctors said I would probably be throwing up during the night because of the amount of smoke that entered my body. They said, they never saw anyone like me. I’m so against smoking that my body rejects it just as much as I do and its way of rejection is by throwing up everything in me to hopefully get the smoke out. What my body didn’t know was that it wont help. I sighed and shut my eyes. I started to think about Nick…I imagined his arms wrapped around me…his light kisses on my head…my neck…my cheek…my lips. I imagined his head buried into my neck, mumbling sweet things to me. His warm embrace as he holds me closer, afraid I’ll slip from his grip. Then I imagine him telling me he loves me…and knowing he means it because of his tone and because of the way he looks at me when I stare into his eyes. Then…right when I’m really about to fall asleep…my phone vibrates.

From Nick <<333:

I love you

My stomach churned…and I was so sure I was about to throw up again…but I didn’t. I love how he always knows when I’m thinking about him…or when I need him…I don’t know how he always knows but he always knows.

To Nick <<333:

I love you too <3

I shut my eyes, holding my phone close since it was the only thing I had to keep my close to him. I fell asleep…dreaming of the one thing that makes me feel safe.
♠ ♠ ♠
<<333