‹ Prequel: Turn Right

Into My Arms

Perfectly Happy

My POV

“Mom I’m going to pick Rachael up now!” I called as I grabbed my keys as I headed for the door. “Alright! Call later!” she requested. “Yep,” was all I did as I went out the door.

I got in the car and started it up, pulling out of the driveway. It was just two days before Rachael’s 17th birthday and her mom was now home. She had to wear an arm cast because it was broken in three places but that’s it. Rachael was happy about her mothers recovery and shes been making it up to her for the past week and a half. Along with working on a holiday album, writing new songs and for her new album coming out next March, doing photo shoots, interviews, and auditioning for different pilots for movies, tv shows and guest starring on some other shows. She’s been extremely busy. Yet she still finds time to be with her mom. I’m not quite sure how she does it. Today was her first full day off in weeks and lucky for me, it’s my day off as well so I was taking advantage of it by taking her out. I asked her what she wanted to do today but she said I had to pick. So I’m taking her golfing in the morning, then we’re just going to hang out and do whatever she feels like doing…I haven’t really planned it out but that’s only because I just enjoy her company. That’s all I need.

What she needs is to be stress-free. But it always seems like she just cant get that. The court hearing for the custody trial is four days after her birthday. I think we’ll all be happy when this thing is over. I know her parents are still fighting over this, but I also know Anna and Rachael have been trying to get Rachael emancipated but then she would move into an even bigger house with Anna. Frankly, I think it would be a good idea…everyone does. Mom, dad, Joe, Kevin, Danielle, even Frankie. Then there’s Miley, Demi, Selena and Taylor, along with their families that agree. I just cant wait for all of this to be over so that hopefully…maybe…things can be less stressful and more go-with-the flow…but with all of us? I doubt that would happen.

I love Rachael and I love where we are right now…but sometimes I really wish (and regret) those three years apart would’ve never happened. Maybe some things would be the way they used to be. I miss having Jonathan, Alex and Luke around. I know sometimes Rachael misses Melissa…and hell, I even miss Brittany and Kayla. They were bitches and queens of drama, that’s for sure, but they had their moments.

I pulled up to Rachael’s house and saw Rachael’s car in the driveway but there was another car I didn’t recognize. I wasn’t sure where her mom was but she wasn’t home so it was fine with me. It’s not that I don’t like Tara, she used to be like a second mother to me, but ever since she changed (big time) when Rachael got famous, it hasn’t been the same. I haven’t talked about it much but lately it’s been worse…and everyone has noticed it. Which is why we all think it would be better for Rachael to live with Anna because her dad (in my opinion) still cant be trusted. Who knows if (when) he’ll run off again, leaving Rachael? Which is why I refuse to let her move in with her dad. I told her that too. She seemed awkward about it but I had to tell her and soon enough she understood and I was filled with relief.

I got out of the car and walked up to Rachael’s door and heard her beautiful laugh which made me curious as to what she was laughing at. I knocked. “Coming!” she sang and in seconds, the door opened and I smiled at her as she smiled brightly.

“Hey,” she said and her tone, alone, made me know she was happy to see me, which made me happy as well.

She kissed my lips and gave me a hug. I lifted her off the ground slightly as I walked in and kicked the door shut with my foot. As I took in her sweet scent and held her close to me, not wanting to let go, I looked up and saw she wasn’t alone.

“Hey man,” Eric greeted me as he came over to us and Rachael let go of me. “Hey,” I said a little too stiffly.

Then things were awkward as I stared Eric down and he tried avoiding my eyes but he ended up always glancing at me. I was trying to not be the protective jealous type but it was actually harder than I expected. I hated Eric right now with a passion but I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt…for Rachael. I know what he said…I heard him loud and clear…and I believe him too…but that doesn’t mean I can put my guard down. I’ll do anything to protect Rachael…and he needs to know that.

“Umm Eric was just stopping by to say hi, Demi, Selena and Miley were here before as well…” Rachael began to say but I flashed a smile at her so she stopped. Eric cleared his throat.

“Yea umm I was just about to leave now anyway…I’ll see you later Rachael,” he said and I knew he wasn’t going to hug her but Rachael hugged him before he could walk around us.

He had a nervous look but still hugged back. He knew I was watching him carefully. She was testing me. “I’ll text ya later Eric” she said as they let go and he nodded. “See ya Nick” he said politely as I mumbled a polite response and he walked out and shut the door.

I noticed Rachael eyeing me as I listened for his cars engine and listened to him drive off. “You ready?” I asked. “Umm yea…let me just go grab my keys in my room real quick” she said a bit awkwardly and ran upstairs.

I took the time to admire the pictures in her living room. Many were of me and Rachael when we were younger. The memories made me smile and laugh a little as I remembered Joe was teasing Rachael and she pushed him into the pool and he pulled her in, as she pulled me in with her.

“What’s so funny?” she asked as she came down stairs. I spun around to see her smiling at me and I smiled back.

“Nothing…ready to go?” I asked and she nodded with her bright blue eyes shining…just the way I liked it.

I took her hand and we walked out of the door. She locked it and then walked to my car and I opened the door for her (like I always did) she kissed my first before getting in. I smiled as I shut the door, jogged around to the other side, got in and drove off. I noticed she pulled out a J-14 magazine and began reading it!

“Umm Rea?…since when do you read about yourself in magazines?”

“Oh Nicholas you silly, silly boy, I’m not reading about me…I’m reading about you” she said and went back to the magazine.

“Me?” I questioned lightly as I was holding back a chuckle.

“Yes, you…and how you’re avoiding Miley…it’s an article, I’m not too sure why it’s in this issue…mind telling me why? I never really asked,” she said and I glanced at her, then back at the road.

She wasn’t looking at me. She was acting kind of strange and I didn’t know why…but I didn’t deny her question. “Just wanted to put some space between us…that’s all,” I replied, keeping it short. She made a small sound in acknowledgment.

It was silent the rest of the way. We got to the place and I parked the car but just sat there as she did the same. “Are we going to get out of the car or are we going to attempt golfing from here?” she questioned, joking lightly.

I turned to face her and opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out. Then I tried again. “Are you alright?” I asked and eyed her skeptically. “Perfectly fine,” she smiled a smile that anyone would believe…anyone but me.

So when she went to un buckle her seat belt and get out, I grabbed her wrist lightly to stop her. “What’s wrong?” I asked. “You tell me” she countered with a small smile.

I didn’t have to ask what she was talking about…I knew. I sighed. “I’m sorry…It’s just going to take some getting used to, to the fact that you and Eric are like…friends now…and all morning I was just thinking about how things used to be…wondering what would’ve happened if we were never apart for those three years…thinking about how we used to be…” I explained the best I could as I held her hand securely in mine and felt her rubbing my hand with her thumb ever so lightly.

“What do you mean Nick?” she asked gently. “We’re more than what we used to be…” she started.

“But it’s still not the same…okay you really cant get me wrong, I love where I am, where you are…where we are…I really don’t know what it is but I just like thinking about what everything used to be…how we were able to just walk around together holding hands just walking aimlessly without the worry of paparazzi…how we could talk about anything at anytime…now we have to clear our schedules and worry about who‘s listening to us…” my vice trailed off.

What was this? This wasn’t me. I was always in control. Knew what I was doing. What was happening and when…I got lot in my thought ramble but Rachael’s nervous giggle filled my ears so I looked at her as she looked at her lap as she played with my fingers.

“How we were able to lean on each other for support but now we’re lucky if we even get the chance to see friends. How we always had everything figured out and being able to be care-free…not knowing the right thing to do or say anymore…” she added to the list.

I guessed those were the things she was feeling…and I was overjoyed about the fact she was sharing this with me.

“Our love…what we have…it feels different,” I said slowly.

“Bad different or good different?” she asked but I didn’t reply. She sighed.

“Do you want to know what I think?” she asked and I nodded. “I think…this is good…we’re older Nick. More mature. More knowledgeable. I feel like…we’ve grown stronger together….our love has grown stronger…as corny as that sounds,” she joked lightly and I smiled at her as she looked at me with her amazing eyes.

“We knew what we were getting into when we agreed to all of this…we knew things would change”

“I know…I don’t know where all of that came from…sometimes I just wonder if what I want is to get back what we used to have”

“You want me to be calling you profanities every day and smacking you?” she questioned causing me to really laugh.

“You never called me profanities,” I mocked.

“Oh but I will darling,” she joked.

“No, no…that’s alright…I could also go without the smacking”

“Then don’t be such a douche,” she said and my jaw dropped as I laughed hard and so did she.

“You know what? I take it all back…I’m perfectly happy with where we are…no more doubts in my mind”

“I’m sorry you had doubts in the first place” she said and we leaned closer.

“No doubts about you though…that’s for sure…and you must know that,” I whispered and now I could tell she was mesmerized.

“You’re really one confusing boy Nicholas,” she whispered back and then I couldn’t take it anymore.

I crashed my lips into hers and we moved with synchronicity with each other as my hand went up to caress her cheek. We were like that for a good five minutes until we pulled away to breathe.

“Lets go golf,” she smirked and hoped out of the car so quickly, I couldn’t even blink.

I groaned because of the lack of her touch but smiled as I got out of the car. She smirked at me and I glared playfully.

We got our clubs, a few golf balls and a golf cart. We both got in and I began to drive. We got to the first spot. "Ready to get your butt kicked mister Jonas?"

"On the contrary miss Lewis," was all I said as we stood up.

We both golfed. I have to admit when she hit the ball, it went pretty far. We haven't played golf together in such a long time. We both got back in the cart to drive to where we hit the balls near the hole.

"Can I drive?" she asked excitedly.

"Remember last time I let you drive the golf cart? I don't think so," I said as I began driving it.

"I was ten! And come on, you have to admit that was fun"

"Which part?! The part where you almost drove us into a tree or the part where we flew into the pond?" She laughed. "Both," I smiled at her.

As we went from hole to hole, I noticed Rachael was losing her touch...which was definitely not her. We were about fifteen feet away from the next hole when she asked me to help her with a playful glint in her eyes. I knew she didn't need the help. She was just as competitive and stubborn as I was so if she really wanted to she would’ve kept at it until she made holes in one every time. I smirked at her game she was playing and got behind her. She gripped onto the club. I wrapped my arms around her and placed my hands on her slightly smaller, manicured ones. I discreetly put my nose in her hair and I took in her sweet scent for the second time today. I felt her relax against my chest as she turned her head slightly and for some reason she had her yes slightly shut.

At the moment, I would give anything to be the Edward guy from Twilight so I can hear what she's thinking. I looked at her and smirked as she blushed and I noticed I had complete control of everything at the moment. I controlled what she was feeling. I controlled what happened next. I leaned in and kissed her. She happily kissed back. Then she slipped her hands out from under mine, spun around to face me and wrapped her arms around my neck as I was still holding onto the club.

I dropped it to the ground and wrapped my arms around her waist, lifting her off the ground. After a few long minutes...my phone went off. We pulled away and I sighed.

"And moment ruined"

"No it isn't...it was perfect timing," she smiled at me and I smiled back, answering my phone without looking at he caller ID.

"Hello"

"Oh that's a pretty happy ‘hello’. What are you and Rachael up to?" Joes voice rang through my ears.

“What do you want Joe?” I asked with slight annoyance and then heard Kevin’s laugh and knew I was on speaker.

“Sorry to interrupt Nick and you know we would never ask you this if it was just some other girl…” Kevin started. “But since it’s Rachael, we were wondering if we could tag along. We’re so bored” Joe complained.

“Joe…” I began to scold but Rachael pulled the phone close to her.

“Kevin, Joe you know you’re more than welcome to join us” she said and they both cheered. “Thanks Rachael,” the both sang and then hung up.

She handed me my phone and I gave her a look. “Oh come on Nick, it’s fine. Danielle is visiting family and you know Joe still gets restless sometimes. Plus they have nothing else to do…it’ll be like old times” she winked and I melted inside.

Words cannot describe how much I love this girl in front of me. I really don’t ever want to be apart from her. I never want to be with anyone else. Ever since I met her when we were ten, she was always the one I wanted to be with. The one I thought about. The one I saw every day. the one I kissed. The one I made love to…yea, I admit it. I’ve thought about it with Rachael. But if you were in my position you would see how you cant blame me. Her bright blue eyes were all it took to real me in… “Come on, we still have a lot of coarse to cover” she said happily as she took my hand and led me to the cart and I laughed.

A few holes later (it was a big coarse) I was “helping” Rachael again when I heard one voice I wasn’t ready for… “Whoa children, keep it PG,” Joe said as him and Kevin came over to us.

I saw Rachael roll her eyes but smiled brightly as she hugged them tight. It really has been a while since we’ve seen each other. It wasn’t what we were used to…and of course I loved my brothers with everything I had and they always knew how to act around girls and my past girlfriends…but with Rachael it’s so much different. I just wanted a little time to spend with her…but I guess we’ll just do that later…and if Rachael’s happy then I wont get in the way.

We all continued golfing, joking around and just hanging out. I noticed Big Rob was around, being “discreet”. While Joe and Rachael were talking and goofing off, Kevin told me mom wasn’t too happy when she found out I didn’t call Big Rob and let him know about my outing with Rachael. Yes, I know it could be dangerous without a body guard at times but I also know Rachael likes to have personal time without knowing she has body guards watching her every move.

“I know she must have been mad but Rachael hates the fact that she cant go out without eyes watching her…she hates it but she deals with it…that’s why I try to give her chances to be on the down low with me and not have her worry when we go out together…” I started to explain and he gave me a look of understanding.

“I really do think she’s the one Kev…you know I think that,” I zoned out and watched as Rachael laughed angelically (if it’s possible to laugh that way) because of something Joe was telling her.

Then I directed my attention back to him. “I don’t want anyone else,” I finished.

“I know how you feel Nick…and I don’t doubt the feelings you have Rachael…everyone can see how you feel about her and how she feels for you…” he started saying but after that it seemed like he was at a loss for words as we heard laughter and we heard the quiet golf cart start up.

So when we looked, we saw Rachael had pushed Joe down to get ahead of him and hop onto the golf cart and she raced off. “Rachael!” I yelled as Kevin and I ran to Joe.

She stopped a ways away and turned around and stuck her tongue out at us before going again. Joe jumped up and we all began chasing after her. “Rachael! Come on!” Kevin complained. “Rachael, come back!” I added. “Yea, you better run away!” Joe threatened jokingly.

I started laughing but then she spun around and had a playful glare in her eyes as she pulled out a club and pointed it toward us and charged at us as we all stopped short. Then we all spun around and Joe slipped onto the ground but caught up as we all started running in the opposite direction. I saw Joe had stopped though and hopped on with Rachael and they were both chasing after us. Then Kevin and I quickly got on one and we all started chasing each other around. It’s been such a long time since we’ve all just hanging out like this...goofing around…not worrying about anything…just being us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~TIME LAPSE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I can't remember the last time I saw a movie in a regular movie theater," she said as we walked inside.

I smiled at her and walked to the ticket booth. Joe and Kevin left us to go do some Christmas shopping. Yea, after they come and claim they have nothing better to do, they suddenly think about Christmas shopping. They couldn’t think of that before they decided they wanted to come? I asked for two tickets to see 2012 and as I did so, Rachael and I were avoiding everyone’s gaze hoping our sunglasses and hats would help somewhat disguise us. The girl behind the booth continued to stare at us with curiosity as I held onto Rachael’s hand. I did my best to be polite and smile at her patiently as I tried to not look at her directly. She gave me he tickets slowly, I said a quick thank you and rushed away. I bought us a pop corn and two sodas for us. I knew Rachael wanted to protest by the way she as looking at me with a smirk and a small glare but she knew me way too well to even ask if she could pay. We got into the theater and sat toward the way back, hoping it would help our discreetness.

"You think any of this secretiveness is even working?" she leaned over and whispered to me. "Not at all," I replied and she giggled.

More people started to fill the theater and as they did, we began to slouch more and more in our seats and just whisper to each other. Not many paid attention to the two teenagers in the back of the theater and thoes who did, would look longer than wanted but the movie began so everyone was seated and as the lights dimmed down we sat back up.

We couldn't even get through the previews though without whispering so we started to try and hide our faces. We looked at each other and our faces were close so then (as weird as it was) we both smirked…and then I kissed her. We made out for a good ten minutes before the movie part came on. She giggled quietly as I wiped away the little lip gloss that was around my lips and I put my arm around her, all the while, having a big smile on my face, laughing quietly as well. Then we directed our attention to the screen. If the world ended here and now, I’d be happy with just being with Rachael.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That night, I took her to the beach where we had chocolate covered strawberries…her favorite. We watched the sun set together. I drove her home afterward. Walking her to the door. Kissing her good night and making sure she got inside and locked the door. I drove home. Walking inside with a small smile on my face.

“How was Rachael dear?” mom asked with a smirk.

“She’s good mom,” I said absent-mindedly, still smiling.

She just smiled at me as dad did the same, from his seat beside her. I walked to my room and just collapsed onto my bed, on my bed. I never want to be with anyone else. Is that so wrong for a 17 year old to say? We have come such a long way. All the ups and downs we’ve been through. Everything we’ve been through together. Am I wrong to think about spending the rest of my life together? Maybe it’s being a little too hasty. Moving too fast maybe? All these questions rushed through my mind. I was so unsure of so much right now…but one thing I knew for sure: I loved Rachael.
♠ ♠ ♠
<<333