‹ Prequel: Turn Right

Into My Arms

Laughing Is The Best Medicine

Rushing to the hospital in Joes car was like racing against Road Runner, but I didn't care. I just wanted to see Nick. As soon as he parked we all jumped out and ran in. We raced upstairs, not even bothering to use the elevator. We got outside Nicks room and I could 
hear his laugh fill the air. I flung the door open to see Maya was the one making him laugh with Kevin, Danielle, Denise, Paul, Frankie, Anna, Zach and dad all smiling. Everyone got quiet as they turned to look at us and Joe was the first to rush forward to embrace his brother and Demi quickly followed. Then everyone watched me carefully. I wasn't paying attention to anyone else but some words were spoken and they all left the room. I analyzed him. Color had returned to his face, his scars and scratches have healed nicely and he only had some bandaging around his wrist. No words were spoken...we kind of just used our eyes. It was like I didn't know what to do with my body though. Then in an instant; I was at Nicks side hugging him and collapsing in his arms and crying into his chest as he had his wrapped his arms around me. He rubbed my back...then stopped...then he placed a hand on the back of my head and would message it with one hand in a way that soothed me...then he stopped. Then he dragged his hand from my head down to my cheek to get me to look at him. I could feel my eyes burning with the amount of tears that were inside me.

"Hey...stop crying" he said, trying to attempt in a laugh but I couldn’t...because he was crying now too and it made me cry even more.

I laughed through my tears. We both got through it...we both survived...and he was here with me now. "Okay cry" he said and pulled me back to him and I felt his tears soak my shirt as my tears soaked his hospital uniform. We were crying messes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was laughing so hard. It was my real, Demi-loud, regular laugh and Nick was laughing with me. Nothing funny happened though. I was catching him up on some stuff and out of no where he made a laughing-type sound effect from something I said and I just stared at him for a few moments and started cracking up.

“What are you laughing at?” he had asked me, chuckling himself but trying not to laugh too hard. I tried telling him but I was laughing too hard to get out my words. It sounded like this:

”You!” Laughs. “Made…” Laughs. “Weird sound!”

Then after that my laughing just made him laugh and we made each other laugh even harder. It wasn’t even that funny but I think since I’ve been so deprived from laughter, having Nick back triggered my laughing box…too bad it couldn’t trigger my singing box. Denise and Paul came in during our little laughing fest. They were both smiling brightly at us.

“Well this is definitely a sight we‘ve all been waiting for” Paul said.

“Joe and Kevin are out in the hallway right now calling everyone to let them know you’re okay…do you need me to call the nurse in for food? Do you need more water, some more pillows?” Denise asked.

“Mom, really. I’m fine” Nick laughed lightly and gave me a look as I snickered.

“Denise I really do think he’s fine. He has plenty of pillows, he’s scheduled to eat in ten minutes and his water pitcher is full” I helped. She sighed.

“I know, I know…” Then she gave me a look.

“I’m fine too”

“I’m sorry, I’m just happy that you’re both okay now” she said, kissing my head and Nick’s.

“We’re fine mom but guys can I just have a few more minutes alone with Rachael?” he asked and I eyed him. “Of course. We’ll come back in fifteen minutes” Paul said and they both walked out.

“Everything alright?” I asked him.

“Yeah…are you alright?” he asked.

“What are you talking about?” I smiled, faking a small laugh. “I-I’m fine…” I put some hair behind my ear. “You’re the one who just came out of the three month coma”

“But I’m fine. Few broken bones here and there, few bumps and scraps…Rea…Maya told me about what you’ve been going through these passed couple months…”

“No, Nick, don’t somehow make this about me. I don’t care how I’ve been the passed couple months. You just woke up today, can we please just enjoy it…I’ve missed you” I held his hand. He stared into my eyes. Without saying anything else he just nodded.

“What did you do today?” he changed the topic.

“Well…” I smiled and sat forward in my seat excitedly and he smiled back at me. “I auditioned for a tv series today…about time…”

“Seriously? That’s great Rea! How do you think you did?” he asked with his raspy voice.

He took some water. “I think I did pretty well. The two guys I had to do it with were like really good. But this story line, Nick, is so awesome! I mean it’s so legit” I said.

“Legit huh?” he mocked and smiled.

“Oh yea. And I really want to get this part…” I said as my voice faded.

“But?” he questioned.

“But…if I do get it…then I would be on location in Canada, I think, for like two years because they want to get like the first 2 or 3 seasons our right away” I said and I saw him tense up.

“Well…that would still be great. It would be something new for you. Working…doing something you love for two years straight…on location no less…that’s amazing Rach…”

“But what about…”

“Us? I’d definitely go up to visit you. It would work Rea” he said and held my hand, smiling a smile that made me smile back.

“So what’s the story line about?” he asked.

“Okay so like…” I started to tell him.

As I spoke, I was doing so hard to not have my voice crack or show any sad emotion. I paid attention to his eyes…his nose…his hair…his lips. I analyzed them. They were all in the same condition from before the accident. I noticed he was really paying to attention to my words. It was like he was analyzing me while I was analyzing him.

“Wow, it really sounds like your kind of project” he commented.

“I know right! I’m so excited for it…” I said but then my voice faded out.

“And you should be” he said and I forced a smile but he knew it was fake.

"Hey, look in the drawer" he said, nodding toward the small table beside him. I gave him a look but opened the drawer. I pulled out a tiny present.

"What’s this for?" I asked.

"Its for you. We both missed your 19th birthday but that doesn't mean I didn't get you anything. I had Kevin bring it over...open it" I sat down on the bed as he sat up completely so we were inches apart.

I started to open it. When I unwrapped it, I opened up the tiny box and pulled out a tiny chain. At the end of the chain was a silver N with diamonds on it that made it sparkle. It wasn't a ring, it wasn't a guitar pick with a word or two on it, it wasn't some special type of jewelry or anything that resembled anything...nothing like what we were used to giving each other...this was simple...ordinary...yet fancy and extraordinary...and I loved it.

"You said you didn't want anything for your birthday...then u said u wanted something simple. Nothing spectacular. So I thought this would qualify..."

"Nick...I love it" I smiled brightly. "Thank you" I said and then leaned forward to kiss him. He stopped me though.

"I have to brush my teeth"

"Ill risk it" I laughed. "A quickie" I said, leaning closer.

"Kinky" he commented under his breath.

"I know" I smirked and then kissed him quickly. My phone started to beep. I looked at it. "I have to go walk Elvis. I'll be right back. You want me to get anything?" I asked.

"My phone and the charger and my iPod...and can I use one of your notebooks? If I'm going to be in here a while longer I need something to write some ideas in if I have any"

"Yeah, sure. Okay, phone, charger, iPod, notebook...anything else?" I asked.

"I think that's it...oh yea one more thing?"

"What is it?"

He puckered his lips and I laughed. Then I kissed him and a knock was heard. "Come in!" I called since Nick wouldn't answer. A nurse came in with Denise following.

"I don't mean to interrupt anything, it's just lunch time and I have to give you a shot for your diabetes" the nurse said.

"Perfect timing. Eat up, get back into the whole regulating system, I'll be back soon" I said and kissed his cheek. "Do you need anything Denise? I'm going to grab some of Nicks things from home, I could easily drive over to your place while I'm at it"

"No, no it's fine. I don't need anything"

"Alright. Well I'll be back" I said and walked out.

My POV

The smiled politely at the nurse as she put my food on the table and thanked her. She gave me my shot and then left. I rubbed my face and pushed the food away gently. Mom came over and sat down beside me.

"Nick u have to eat..."

"I will mom. I'm just not hungry right now"

"You’d eat for Rachael..."

"Mom" I rolled my eyes at her.

"I’m just kidding...she will make you eat though if she sees that you didn't"

"I know..." I smiled at just the thought of Rachael.

"Did you talk to her?" she asked and I stopped smiling at the thought of her being upset.

"We talked, yea...but she didn't want to talk about it...so I didn't make her" She nodded and it was an approving nod.

Good...don't push her but just keep an eye on her..."

"You know I will"

"I know" she smiled and then kissed my cheek.

"I love you Nick" she said and tears built up.

"I love you too mom"
♠ ♠ ♠
u guys rlly are awesome. i love u all :)

<<333