Status: Complete.

Give Love a Try

Chapter Sixteen

Nate’s POV
I didn’t know what hurt more; constantly thinking about what might of happened if Jason didn’t interrupt us in the woods or the fact that Shane had been avoiding me since. It had been 9 days. Yes, I had been counting. Ever since, “the almost”, I had been thinking about him and missing him like crazy. He was my best friend here at Camp Rock. I’d had better conversations with Jason over the last 9 days. Although these conversations mainly consisted of marshmallows, spray cheese and water polo, they cheered me up. I appreciated what Jason had been doing. I saw him talking to Shane most mornings in the mess before I walked in. He spent breakfast with Shane, lunch with me and dinner with Stephanie, a bass player from the Bronx. I think Jason had started to like her. Of course he wouldn’t bring this up with me. I bet he told Shane though. I frowned at the thought. I was sitting on my bed, crossed legged with my guitar in my lap. I had been strumming “Sorry,” and singing quietly along to it.

Broken hearts and last goodbyes
Restless nights by lullabies helps make this pain go away
I realize I let you down, told you that I'd be around
Building up the strength just to say

I'm sorry for breaking all the promises
That I wasn't around to keep
You told me this time is the last time
That I will ever beg you to stay
But you're already on your way


I loved this song, and not just because I wrote it; but because, it was kind of inspired by Shane. Maybe one day I’ll get the chance to sing it to him, and only him.

Shane’s POV

Avoiding someone was hard and tiring work, especially when the person you were avoiding lived 2 feet away from you in the next bed. My usual day consisted of this. I’d have to wake up earlier then Nate; usually about 6am. I’d have to rush down to breakfast, eat, have a shower, get dressed, achieve perfection, grab my guitar and find somewhere to sit to wait for classes to start. Classes were easier because I didn’t have everything with Nate. I only had guitar and vocal; not that Nate would sing. He would sit in the back and listen to the rest of us. Smug bastard. He probably doesn’t think he needs to work on his vocals. Damn him. I know I need to work on mine. All the fighting and screaming would run my voice ragged. After classes were done for the day, I would sit alone at dinner and once again find somewhere to sit until Nate had gone to sleep. I then snuck in and went to sleep; repeating the next day almost perfectly. It was getting annoying, and it would depend on when Nick would go to bed, how long I got to sleep. Last night, Nate had sat up to 1am. I bet he was trying to catch me coming in so he could talk to me. Truth be told, I did want to talk to Nate, just not about what happened. Well, what almost happened anyway. I don’t like to think about what might’ve happened if Jason didn’t stop us when he did. At the time, I hated him for it. But now, I’m thankful.

“Hey Shane.” A voice broke the deadly silence of the camp ground. I whipped my head around to see Alicia standing there. She was a pretty girl. Awkwardly thin, auburn hair, deep green eyes and she had such an individualist’s style. Today, for example, she wore pink skinny jeans and a tee shirt that said “Go Green” across the front.

“Hey Alicia,” I half smiled at her, turning my head back to its original position.

“I know why you’re avoiding Nate,” she told me, sitting down on the log above me.

“You do?” I gulped.

“Yeah,” she shrugged. “It’s obvious to me Shane. You like me.”

“Alicia you can’t tell....” I stopped. Did she just say that I liked her? I didn’t care. I would run with it. “Yeah. I always thought he had a sort of crush on you. I don't want to, you know, hurt him.”

“Yes, well,” she flipped her hair, in an overly annoying preppy way. “A lot of people do have a crush on me.”

She was so full of herself. But she would do. She then threw herself on me, straddling my lap. She kissed me hard on the lips. What the hell was she doing? Before I got a chance to respond she had attached herself to my neck like a leach, nibbling and sucking on it. It wasn’t pleasant.

“Oh Shane!” Alicia’s fake moans echoed off the trees. I shuddered at her touch, as she connected her lips to mine again. Her hands found the bottom of my t-shirt and roamed upwards over my stomach and chest. Once again, the feeling wasn’t pleasant. I closed my eyes, hoping that when I opened them that she would be gone and I’d be safe. I opened my eyes and I saw a sight even more unpleasant then Alicia’s antics put together.

Nate.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alicia's outfit inspired by character costuming of Alex Russo in WOWP. (i do NOT own that)

I'm not saying that Nate is unpleasant to look at. What was unpleasant is Nate catching Alicia and Shane.