Status: Complete.

Give Love a Try

Chapter Seventeen

Nate’s POV
I stared at Shane and that Alicia chick going at it. At least, that’s what it looked like. Shane’s eyes opened and widened when they connected with mine. I stood paralyzed for a moment. I didn’t know what this was that I was feeling. My heart was pounding, my head was pounding, and my palms were sweaty. I drew in a shaky breath and turned on my heel, walking away as fast as my little legs could take me. I fought the urge to cry. I could feel the tears threatening to escape. I didn’t want them to escape. But one did. One betrayed me. I half ran, ending up at our cabin door, mimicking our positions from earlier arguments so that I was taller than him. So I had the position of power.

“NATE! MAN! WAIT UP!”

Shane’s voice was behind me. He was out of breath. Half because he had ran half because he was making out with Alicia. I spun around quickly, causing him to halt suddenly. He looked disheveled. His top few buttons were undone and so was the button on his jeans. His face was flushed and his usually perfect hair was a mess. He hadn’t? Had he?

“You should have told me you were seeing Alicia, Shane,” I told him bluntly, not taking my eyes off the ground beneath Shane’s feet.

“But, I’m not,” Shane's voice sounded pathetic.

“Then what the hell do you call what you were just doing Shane?”

Shane looked down as I looked up.

“You didn’t...you know..” I used hand gestures to try and bring Shane to my point.

“God! I didn’t fucking have sex with her Nate!” Shane gave me bewildered look.

Inside I was relieved. I sighed.

“I’m sorry. I just assumed.” I gestured once again, but this time this appearance. Shane glanced down at himself and I saw his face turn scarlet. He buttoned his jeans up and two of the three undone buttons on his shirt. He then looked down again. I could hear his breathing. It was erratic. His face was still red. I took a step closer to the edge of the concrete and ran my fingers through the messy part of his hair. He looked up at me, meeting my eyes. I felt my heart melt. He looked so vulnerable. His eyes were sparkling with tears; his face had faded from red to pink. I noticed desperation in his eyes.

“Come here,” I said softly and pulled his upper half against me. His head rested high on my chest. I enveloped him in a hug. He slowly snaked his arms around my middle. He buried his face in my shirt and I felt him shudder as he cried. I rubbed his back and whispered that everything was going to be alright.

“Come on,” I pulled away from him slightly and took his wrist in my hand. I pulled him inside the cabin. I kicked off my shoes and lied down on his bed, gesturing for him to do the same. Shane lied down beside me and I wrapped a protective arm around him.

“I'm sorry.”

The words escape Shane's lips so quietly, they couldn’t have even been mistaken for a whispers.

“Shh,” I soothe him. “It’s alright. I’m here. I’m not going anywhere.” I squeezed his shoulder symbolically. He tucked himself tighter against me. “I promise Shane. I'm not going anywhere.”

Shane closed his eyes. I start to hum the tune of Turn Right to Shane in an attempt to calm his continuing sobs. I began to sing.

Pick up all your tears
Throw them in your backseat
Leave without a second glance
Somehow I’m to blame
For this never-ending racetrack you call life

Turn right
Into my arms
Turn right
You won’t be alone
You might
Fall off this track sometimes
Hope to see you on the finish line

Driving all your friends out
at a speed they cannot follow
Soon you will be on your own
Somehow I’m to blame
For this never-ending racetrack you call life

Turn right
(turn right)
Into my arms
Turn right
(turn right)
You wont be alone
You might
(you might)
Fall of this track sometimes
Hope to see you on the finish line

I did all I could
I gave everything
But you had to go your way
And that road was not for me

So turn right
Into my arms
Turn right
You wont be alone
You might
Fall of this track sometimes
Hope to see you on the finish line


When I finished the song, I looked at Shane. He had fallen asleep. He had the slightest smile on his sleeping face. I smiled to myself and kissed the top of his head. I closed my eyes too, willing sleep to come.
♠ ♠ ♠
This song is beautiful.