Status: Complete.

Give Love a Try

Chapter Twenty Two

Saturday.
Nate’s POV
I am so pissed with myself. I hadn’t been able to come up with a new song to sing for the jam. So I was stuck singing Please Be Mine. I had written to perform at this jam, to Shane, asking him to be mine; to really be mine. But, recently altercations have made me not want him anymore. Speaking of Shane I really hadn’t seen him since then. I heard from Jason that he had come up with some wild story about fallen over and hitting his eye on something, but people had seen and even heard our argument and seen me punch him. I was the bad guy in all this. After all of what he said to me, I was the bad guy. Truth be told, I missed him. I missed him so much and I hated that about me. He hurt me so fucking much and I still liked him. I set my guitar down and got up; starting to stretch for the performance. As usual, Shane was before me. Stupid last name. As I was stretching my arms, Shane walked into the cabin. His eyes caught mine. I chewed my bottom lip and broke eye contact, sitting on my bed. He walked over to his bed and sat across from me.

“Nate,” his voice started and I looked up at him.

“Don’t,” I shook my head sadly. “Just don’t.”

I got up grabbing my guitar as I went.
I walked down to the camp ground where the jam was being held. It was already packed full of people. I sat down next to Jason. Shane wandered over just after me and sat on the other side.
This was going to be interesting. I had no idea what Shane was performing. We hadn’t spoken about it; well we hadn’t spoken, period. I wasn’t worried about beating him. I just didn’t care.

“Okay. This shall be our last jam before final jam before our official final jam next week. So, in celebration of that,” Dee’s voice came from the stage, making me look up to her. “Let’s mix things up tonight shall we?” She looked at the list in her hand. “Nathanial? You’re up first!”

I bulged my eyes at her. I wasn’t ready. Why was I first? Sighed and shrugged to myself. Who cares? There’s no one to impress. I just hope no one reads between the lines of my song. I got up and walked up the stairs of the stage. I took a seat on the stool and started playing, slowly.

They come and go but they don't know
That you are my beautiful

I try to come closer with you
But they all say we won't make it through

But I'll be there forever
You will see that it's better
All our hopes and our dreams will come true
I will not disappoint you
I'll be right there for you 'til the end
The end of time
Please be mine


I kept my eyes staring, not looking at anything in particular. I kept my face void of emotions. But the next verse made me look at Shane.

I'm in and out of love with you
Trying to find if it's really true
oh no no no no
How can I prove my love
If they all think I'm not good enough

But I'll be there forever
You will see that it's better
Our hopes and our dreams will come true
I will not disappoint you
I will be right there for you 'til the end
The end of time
Please be mine


I bit my lip during the gap in the lyrics and broke eye contact with Shane, resuming being annoyed with him.

Can't stop the rain from falling
Can't stop my heart from calling you
It's calling you
Can't stop the rain from falling
Can't stop my heart from calling you
It's calling you
Can't stop the rain from falling
Can't stop my heart from calling you
It's calling you

But I'll be there forever
You will see that it's better
Our hopes and our dreams will come true
I will not disappoint you
I will be right there for you 'til the end
The end of time
Please be mine


Once I finished the song, I looked at Shane again. He wasn’t looking at me. he was looking down. Asshole. I walked off the stage and took my seat next to Jason.

“Okay,” Dee said, smiling her overactive smile. “That was lovely Nate.” As she called up the next few people I wasn’t even listening to the music, or who was being announced. I just wanted this stupid jam to be over.