Status: Complete.

Give Love a Try

Chapter Nine

Shanes POV

“Hey! Nice one man!” Jason punched me on the shoulder. “That’s a great song!”

I smirked. I know Nate's going to hate me.

“Thanks man!” I turned away from Jason to face the stage where Nate was setting up. He stepped in front of the piano stool and sat down. Placing the notes and lyrics on the holder, I saw him take a deep breath.

“This song goes out to Shane Grey, to prove to him I am no underdog,” Nate announced to the audience as he started playing. He must have changed the song because I didn’t recognise the beginning notes, which were blended harmoniously with a violin, that was being played by Alicia from before. He took another breath, closed his eyes and started to sing.

He walks away
The colours fade to gray
Every precious moments now a waste

He hits the gas
Hoping it would pass
But the red light starts to flash
It's time to wait

And the black keys never looked so beautiful
And a perfect rainbow never seemed so dull
And the lights out
Never had this bright a glow
And the black keys showing me a world I never knew, no
A world I never knew

He hates the sun
Cause it proves he's not alone
And the world doesn't revolve around his soul
He loves the sky cause it validates his pride
Never lets him know when he is wrong

And the black keys never looked so beautiful
And a perfect rainbow never seemed so dull
And the lights out
Never had this bright a glow
And the black keys showing me a world I never know


The song quickened and I stood staring at Nate's face.

Yeah
The walls are closing in
Don't let em get
Inside of your head
Don't let em get
Inside of your head
Don't let em get
Inside of your head
Don't let them inside

Cause the black keys never looked so beautiful
And a perfect rainbow never seemed so dull
Oh-oh
And the lights out never had this bright a glow
And the black keys showing me a world I never know

Don't let em get
Don't let em get
Inside of your head
No
Don't let em get yeah
Inside of your head
Don't let em get
Don't let em get
Inside of your head
Don't let em get
Oh-oh
Inside of your head

Sometimes a fight is better black and white


The crowd broke into a thunderous applause. I stood still, trying to take in everything from the last 4 minutes. I watched Nate stand up from the piano and walk to the front of the stage where he made a bow. His face was a blur of emotions; pride, sadness. He seemed overwhelmed. He smiled at the audience before vacating the stage. I watched him go, say something to the girl who was up next, and walk down the stairs. He walked over to where Jason and I were standing at the back of the crowd.

“Dude! That was fantastic!” Jason enthused. “I had no idea you could sing like that!”

“Me either,” I confessed, looking down. I had made a complete ass of myself. I mentally kicked myself.

“Thanks guys,” Nate blushed red. “It was amazing. I’ve never played like that before.”
Nate was all smiles, but I couldn’t feel good for him. I was so annoyed with myself to care.

“I’m up next guys! Wish me luck?” Jason told us. We did what was asked. Once Jason had walked away, Nate took a step closer to me. He went up on his tiptoes to whisper something in my ear.

“You’re going to have to do a lot better than that to beat me, big boy,” Nate stepped down normally and smirked at me before turning and walking toward our cabin. I gaped after him. He didn’t really just say that, did he?
♠ ♠ ♠
(AN: song edited from She-He to fit the story.)