Sequel: Suffocate
Status: Complete.

Breathe

Ch. Ten - There might be more than you believe

"Where the hell have you been?"

Liz was angry, and I almost found it funny.

"Stop freaking out, Liz," I said calmly. "I was with Jake."

"I've seriously been waiting for like, an hour! The fire is dead! Look!" She furiously pointed at the dying embers. "Tim is going to be so mad at us for missing curfew!"

"Liz!" I said, laughing. "Dad isn't going to be mad, ok? Let's just go home so that we don't make it worse by arguing!" I slid Jacob's jacket off, and held it out for him to take. He smiled, and shook his head.

"Just keep it," he said. "I don't need it. Besides, it looked nice on you."

I blushed, and put it back on, taking my other jacket from where I left it and draping it over my arm. With a wave, I left him and followed Liz up the beach to where she had parked. "Seriously, Sarah, I was freaking out. Everyone had left and you were nowhere to be seen!"

"Liz, just take a deep breath and get the fuck over it. I'm okay, I promise."

I got into the car with a few more assurances towards Liz. She was frantic, rambling on about how much trouble she would've been in if she'd have gone home and I wasn't with her. I told her that Jacob would've taken me home, that I was a big girl and could take care of myself.

We drove in silence, the only noise coming from passing cars and the wheels underneath us turning.

Eventually, I got sick of hearing my own thoughts and asked, "why wouldn't you tell me where we were going? I mean - you kept saying it was a surprise."

She sighed. "I thought you wouldn't come if I told you where we were going. Embry had told me that Jacob really wanted you to be there, so.. "

"Oh." I rested my head on the window and tried to ignore the bumps of the gravel road that lead us to the highway. "Well," I said, "thanks, I guess."

"Thanks?" She asked, shocked.

"Yeah." I smirked. "I was wrong about him." She didn't respond, and the rest of our drive was silent. My response had not been a lie. Jacob had turned out to be one of the most sensitive guys I'd ever met, and I appreciated his company. It was comforting to know that he was around, even if he did live almost an hour away from La Push.

Dad didn't say a word when Liz and I stomped through the front door. He and Brenda sat on the couch in the front room, watching the television. There was no conversation between them, and I could tell that they were tired. But, after saying goodnight, I trekked up to my room and collapsed on my bed. I had almost forgotten that I was wearing Jacob's hoodie, and when I buried my face in my arms, I got a huge whiff of his smell. It gave me butterflies.

I slept dreamlessly, even though I could hardly take my mind off of the possibilities of tomorrow night. I had no idea what we were going to do, or where we were going to go. All I knew was that I wanted to be with him.

*

I didn't wake up until three pm that day, and then spent the rest of the day trying to take my mind off of what was to come. I took an hour long shower, making sure I didn't smell like a teenager who's cooped up in the house all the time. I must've eaten a whole week's worth of food, and I changed my clothes around five times, finally settling on some knee length baggy shorts and a flattering red long sleeved shirt that had the collar cut out, allowing it to fall over my shoulder, revealing my black bra strap.

I didn't care enough to blow dry my hair, so it had curled, making my hair look shorter than it really was. The color of my hair contrasted majorly with my pale skin, but it complimented my blue eyes. I had never been very fond of my appearance, and felt rather hideous whenever I was around Jacob. Well, anyone of his friends made my self esteem drop a little. They were all gorgeous.

Jacob had texted my phone earlier today asking what the plan was, and I had no idea what to say to him, so I responded by saying it was up to him. He hadn't replied, so tonight was going to be a complete surprise.

When the doorbell rang, I had to restrain myself from sprinting from the door. I laughed at myself, and thought that at least he remembered to come to the front door instead of barging in.

"Hi," I said, opening the front door.

He smiled at me, hands in his pockets. "You ready?"

"Just a sec'." I ran to get my jacket, yelled at Dad to let him know I was leaving, and then made my way over to Jacob, closing the door behind me. "What's the plan, Fabio?"

"Well, there are a few. It just depends on what you want to do. You hungry?'

"Oh, no. I ate a whole week's worth today." We walked out to the driveway, where a little silver VW Rabbit awaited.

"Don't laugh," he said quickly, snaking around me and opening the passenger door. "I basically built this car from scratch."

"Really? Impressive."

"It's what I do in my free time."

I slipped into the car and he shut the door. I buckled myself in, and waited for him to catch up. My leg bounced nervously, shaking the whole car. He laughed at me, and I groaned. "What?"

"Why are you so damn nervous?" He asked, a smile in his voice.

"Didn't you get what you wanted? A date with me?"

"Sure, but I'm not bouncing with nervousness. I know how to keep it hidden." He looked at me briefly, flashing a smile at me.

"Oh, whatever," I whispered. "Where are we going, anyway?"

"Well, I was thinking I could take you to the lighthouse."
♠ ♠ ♠
I promise this story will actually go somewhere, instead of just stupid romance.
Comments? <3