Sequel: Suffocate
Status: Complete.

Breathe

Ch. Twenty Eight - We can't both become the same pawn

The flourescent lights of the bathroom made my skin look almost yellow as I stared at myself in the mirror. My hair was disheveled and tangled. I hadn't brushed it in a couple of days. I looked like shit, basically. Felt like it, too. I hadn't slept in a few days, and it was taking it's toll on my body.

I had spent the last week sulking around the house, trying to find something to do. Jacob and the others had started heavy duty patrols again, as something else has shown up in the woods. So, I've been biding my time watching television, eating (not much), and sleeping.

"Sarah!" Liz called from the base of the stairs. "Get down here!"

I groaned, and threw the bathroom door open. Liz was one of those people, that just being in their presence, is annoying. Her nasally was loud and obnoxious, and she wore way too much makeup.

"What do you want?" I demanded, looking my step-sister. She twirled her long hair between her fingers, and gave a contemptuous look. Liz nodded her head towards the door, where Jared was leaning against the frame.

"You need to come with me," he said. "Like, right now."

I was confused. It was obviously important, but why hadn't Jacob come? I pondered this while following Jared outside to the car. "What happened? Is something wrong?"

"Everything's fine," he said. "Don't worry about it."

*

Jared drove me to Emily's house, where an unfamiliar car had been parked in front, near the walkway. Neither one of us said a word as we got out and went inside, where I could hear voices.

"It's too dangerous. You're not going to be able to do this by yourselves."

I had never heard the voice before, and it was soft and musical, like a lullaby. Jared went inside first, and I followed, unsure of what I was about to walk in on. The first thing I noticed were the three most beautiful people I'd ever seen before. One, a man, had copper colored hair, and was built like he was a Greek statue. The expression on his face seemed to be annoyance, but I couldn't figure out why. A woman, who was sitting at the table, had long, brown hair. She was listening intently to the conversation. The third, another woman, had short, spikey black hair. She had been the one speaking.

"How do you suggest we go about this then?" Sam asked, looking at the woman with the black hair.

"I'm suggesting that you find everyone that you can who can help you. They're too strong."

Sam sighed, shaking his head. "Where do they come from?"

"They're from the Germany. The leader, Gustav, was a good friend of the vampire that Jacob killed a few months ago, and he's gathered up a few of his comrades to come and make a.. trade."

I looked at the strange man, and he returned the motion. His eyes were red. Nervous, I looked back at the boys, who had huddled around the table with the woman. Jacob was next to her.

"You're a human."

It was the man who spoke, and I felt my stomach drop. The room went silent, except for the scrape of a chair against the floor. Jacob had stood up and stepped next to me, wrapping his arm around my waist. He glared at the man. "Jake," the one at the table said, "is that her?"

Jacob and I both looked at her. "Yes," he said. "And none of you will touch her."

The man sighed, rolling his eyes. "We weren't going to. I was merely overwhelmed with the smell."

"What?" It had been the first time I had spoken since I got in the car at my house. Still, the room was quiet, and I was more nervous than ever.

The dark haired woman smiled at me. "Don't be scared. You're not going to be hurt."

"The last time anyone said that to her, she ran away," Embry seethed. I clenched my jaw, and glared daggers at him. "Didn't come back for three months."

"Shut up, Embry," Jacob snapped.

"Calm down. All of you," Sam bellowed. He raised his hand at shoulder height, and looked at the dark haired woman. "Are the others here? Or is it only the three of you?"

"Yes, we're all here," the woman with the long, brown hair sang. "And we can contact the others in Alaska if we need to."

"Good. Do that." Sam looked at Jacob, and then at me. "Take her outside."

Jacob and I walked across the house and out through the back door. I was shaking now, and could hardly support myself. "What the hell was that?" I demanded, clinging to his shirt. "Who are they?"

He sighed, and pulled my hands off of the now wrinkled fabric. "Listen to me. We found some very powerful vampires in the woods. Apparently, the one that almost killed you was a friend of some Nazi vampire's, and so he's coming here to settle it. It's exactly what you heard in there. Except, he's got like, an army, and if we're not willing to give up what they want, then we're going to have some problems. That's why this," he motioned inside, "is happening."

It was overwhelming, and I felt a wave of nausea hit me. "So, what do they want?" I could hardly speak.

"We don't know yet."

"Who are those people?"

Jacob led me inside, where everyone was still gathered around the table. "She's caught up?" Sam asked, and Jacob gave him a silent answer. "I want to know what the fuck that leech was doing here in the first place. And why he attacked Sarah."

"It's obvious why he attacked her, Sam," the man said. "She is human. Her blood smells sweet, almost like candy."

It felt like a brick had just fallen into my stomach. What?

"I will let you know as soon as I see something," the dark haired woman said. She was small, almost like a ballerina doll. She moved gracefully, and her clothes draped around her, but still fit her in a very flattering way. It appeared that the conversation had been left alone for now, since the boys were talking amongst themselves, and the man was no longer sulking in the corner, but talking with Sam.

"Jake?" The other woman said, standing. She was my height, but she was much, much thinner than I was and I felt ugly. This woman had the most beautiful skin I'd ever seen - it seemed to sparkle in the setting sunlight. She moved over to us, and gave Jacob a hug. "How are you?"

"I'm alright," he said quietly. I hugged myself. It felt like it was 50 degrees in here, even though I was standing next to a human space heater. "I'd like you to meet my imprint. Sarah."

The woman looked at me, a delicate smile on her lips. "I'm so glad to meet you. My name is Bella." She gave me a gentle hug, and I was surprised by the extreme temperature of her skin. It was ice-cold. Colder than mine. Her skin was hard, like marble.

"You're Bella?" I hadn't intended it for it come out.

She smiled, but in a sad way. "Yes. I hope he hasn't said anything bad about me?"

"Only the worst," Jacob interceded. He took my elbow, and pointed at the creepy stalker man. "That over that is Edward, Bella's husband, and the pixie chick is Alice, his sister. Except they're not really related, of course."

I took in a deep breath, releasing it slowly. "Who is Reneesmee?" I had heard Edward saying something to Sam about her, and was curious. Another vampire?

"My daughter," Bella said. "I was still human when she was born, and she is a hybrid. The Volturi, an ancient coven of vampires in Italy, heard of her and came to Washington because they thought that she was an immortal child. It was all really hectic."

"I can only imagine," I said. It wasn't hard for me to figure out why Jacob had been so in love with her. She was beautiful. But, on the other hand, so was Edward.

Bella talked with us for only a few more moments, and then moved on to Edward, to which Jacob wrapped his arms around me and hugged me tightly. "Please don't leave me," he whispered. I curled my fingers against his chest and closed my eyes. "I can't do this without you."

"I won't leave you ever again," I whispered. "I promise."
♠ ♠ ♠
Ch. title: Jars by Chevelle. Love this song so much.

I had a hard time trying to piece the whole vampire thing together, especially after she was "attacked" by one. So this was what I pulled out of my ass. What do you think? Any tips? I'll try to make sense of why she was out there in the first place, but first, I want to get the main point of the story going.

And if reading "the man," "the dark haired woman," "the woman with the long hair" gets annoying to read, trust me. It was just as annoying to write. I was trying to hard to keep their names till the end of the chapter, obviously trying to make it obvious who they were. But, from Sarah's point of view, of course that's what she'd call them.

Anyway, comments? <3

PS. I lied when I said there will be like, 5 or 6 more chapters.
This just extended the story by a good five.