Status: finished ; )

Thankful for You

I Had To Find A Way

“Ivy, your phones ringing!” Andrea yelled from her bedroom. It was right across the hall from Ivory’s and she could clearly hear the cell ringing in the other room.

Ivory didn’t yell back. She checked to make sure Andrea’s yell hadn’t woken Jack and then she eased from his grip. The two had decided on watching a movie after dinner, and of course Andrea had excused herself, and of course once it was just the two of them Jack wrapped his arms around her. Even if she wasn’t his, he would still pull her to him to cuddle and hold her hand. It was just how he was. She’d given up on asking him to stop a long time ago, mostly because she didn’t really mind, but also because he wouldn’t listen.

After disentangling herself from his lanky arms, she tip toed out of the living room and toward her bedroom. She sighed with relief when she entered and flopped down on the bed with her phone in hand.

“Hello?” She lay on her back and pressed the phone to her ear.

“Ivy! Thank god you answered. I was just calling to remind you about Thanksgiving dinner. I’ve already booked you a flight down here and there’s a new hotel that just opened up around the block so you’ll have no problem finding a place to stay.” Her mother rattled off without taking a single breath of air. Ivory felt the usual grim feeling take over her as she spoke to her mother. She had forgotten about Thanksgiving, on purpose. Nothing was more terrible than sitting through another family event with the people she never really considered her family.

“I don’t think I’m going to make it this year.” She said it monotonously and let her eyes close as her free hand rested on her forehead.

“None of that missy.” It was her mother’s forceful voice. The one that Ivory knew very well. It meant that Ivory was going to do whatever the hell it was her mother wanted her to do. “You are going to be here, and your aunt is coming down too.”

“Right,” Ivory couldn’t muster much enthusiasm. “I haven’t seen her since last year.”

“I know! She’s bringing all the little girls too. They’ve grown so much. Anyway, I’ll let you go dear. See you Thursday.” The phone clicked. She didn’t even say goodbye. She didn’t even let Ivory say goodbye. And neither said I love you.

Ivory sighed one more time before she dropped her phone to the ground. The phone clattered to the ground but she didn’t care. She groaned and turned on her stomach, burying her face in her pillow. There were footsteps that entered her room. She wasn’t sure if it was Andrea or Jack, but she was betting on Andrea since she’d left Jack sleeping on the couch.

The steps stopped beside her bed and then there was a thud as her phone was placed on the nightstand. “I take it there wasn’t good news on the other side of the call?” It was Jack. The bed squeaked at her side as he sat down. She unburied her face and turned her head so she could see him.

“I’ve got to go down to Florida tomorrow for Thanksgiving.” She didn’t look at him though she so badly wanted. Her family was always a bitter subject. She hated talking about them and most of the time she hated them in general.

“Ah, family reunion,” he nodded, picking up on her bitter tone immediately. He watched her make a face and bury her head back in her pillow. “It can’t be that bad.”

“Yes it can!” She mumbled it into the pillow. It was hard for him to understand but he managed, trying hard as he could to not laugh at her adorableness.

“I promise it won’t.” He spoke confidently, a brilliant plan forming in seconds. It was perfect in his mind.

“You’re not supposed to make promises you can’t keep.” She turned her head and finally made eye contact. She was frowning, but he still found her gorgeous.

“But I can keep it,” he paused and let his smile widen as she furrowed her eyebrows. “If you let me come with you.” She laughed. Now it was his turn to frown.

“You want to come all the way to Florida and spend time with my family.” She said it slowly as she sat up and shook her head. “There is a reason you never met my folks, you know.”

“I’ve got some pretty tough skin. I’m sure I can handle it.” Jack rested his hand on her thigh. It was a light and gentle touch, but he could feel her tense up at it.

“You are way too sweet to handle my mother.” Ivory sighed and tried to relax the muscles in her leg. “She’s vicious.”

“I live with Alex and all the skanks he brings around can be vicious too.” He smiled as she rolled her eyes.

“Alex is harmless, and his skanks will look like teddy bears compared to my mother.” She was steady with her words though her heartbeat stumbled a bit at his grin. It was so carefree, like Jack always was, and it was definitely contagious.

“I would like to go, if you’ll have me.” He nodded and waited for her response patiently.

She bit her bottom lip to keep from smiling too big. “I would love for you to come with me.”

“Then it’s settled,” he squeezed her thigh without much thought. She’d only just relaxed under his touch, but now her whole body tensed up again.

“Almost settled. I’ve got to book you a plane ticket now.” Ivory reburied her head in her pillow once again.

“I haven’t unpacked my bags from tour, so I’m already packed.” He lifted his hand from her and maneuvered so he was lying beside her.

“I guess it’s lucky then, isn’t it?” The words came out clear as Jack wrapped his arms around her and pulled her toward him. Her face was no longer stuffed in the pillow, but facing away from him.

“Or maybe I planned this whole thing.” He smirked and squeezed her tighter. She was one of the only things he cared about in the world, and he didn’t want to let her go.
♠ ♠ ♠
I didn't get to post yesterday because my internet wasn't working, so they'll be two updates today for all you lovely readers : ) hopes it brightens your day!
xooxEmber