Sequel: An Old Beginning
Status: Complete

Guilty Pleasures

Chapter 19

Naomi made it two blocks before she heard footsteps behind her. She tensed, praying that it wasn’t William as she turned around. She was only mildly surprised to see Gerard running toward her.

With a sigh, Naomi turned around and began walking again, pretending as if she’d never seen him.

“Nae, love, please wait!”

“Why?” Naomi called over her shoulder, never slowing down as Gerard came up behind her. “Oh, let me guess,” she said, when he turned her to face him. “You thought of something else that was really hurtful to say and you didn’t want to say it over the phone, because the funniest part is that look on my face
when I-“

“That’s not why,” Gerard said, trying to catch his breath. “Should have
driven the soddin’ car,” he muttered under his breath.

Naomi rolled her eyes, turning away from him again, when she felt his hand on her arm. “Stop grabbing me!” Naomi yelled, wrenching her arm free and shoving him away from her. Gerard immediately backed away, holding his hands up in a form of surrender.

He stared at her for a long moment, partly admiring her body that was carefully hidden in the dress and partly trying to figure a way out of this hole he seemed to dig for himself.

“You must be freezing,” he said softly, wishing he’d worn his duster
that night so he could give it to her.

“I’m fine,” Naomi replied, tempted to turn away from him again but deciding against it. He obviously wasn’t going to let her go anywhere until he said what he had to say. “What do you want?” she asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

“I didn’t mean what I said,” he whispered, trying to put as much feeling as
he could behind his words.

“Sure sounded like it to me,” she murmured, looking at the ground.

“Nae, I swear I have never thought of you that way. Not once, sugar. I guess I have a serious case of ‘foot-in-mouth’ disease.”

Gerard could see her resolve slowly crumbling when a smile quirked her lips as he approached her, putting his hands on her waist and tugging her forward. Naomi looked up at him, obviously still hurt, as his hands ran over her arms, trying to get some warmth back into them. “I’m sorry,” he whispered, never meaning anything more than those words. “I don’t want this to be the end.”

Naomi gave him a sad smile. “If we broke up every time we had a fight, we’d never stay together.”

Gerard chuckled, his hands tightening around her waist. “So that’s it, then? We’re still together?”

“I don’t need you,” she whispered unconvincingly, trying to persuade herself to believe her own words as Gerard brushed his lips across hers.

“I know you don’t, sugar,” he said softly, believing that she truly didn’t need him. “But I need you.”

Naomi raised her eyes to his, not sure if she understood what he was saying.

“Can we go back to my place?” Gerard asked, dipping his head to kiss her bare shoulder. “I want to show you how much I need you.”

Naomi took a shaky breath. “Is it always about sex?” she asked softly, not sure if she wanted to know the answer.

---------
I'm half-way through chapter 20 =]
I'll post it as soon as I can =D