Sequel: An Old Beginning
Status: Complete

Guilty Pleasures

Chapter 24

Gerard found three books on the Boxer Rebellion and selected two before making his way back to the front of the library.

“Did you find everything you needed?” Ray asked as he scanned the books.

“It took me a while, but I finally found them,” Gerard lied with a sheepish smile.

“Did you see Naomi back there?”

Gerard raised his eyes to encounter the older man. ‘What’s he asking?’

“Um…I saw someone, but I didn’t pay attention to who it was,” Gerard replied,
hating the hesitancy in his voice.

“Yes,” Ray said softly, studying the man in front of him. “Well…enjoy your books.”

“I’ll do that.”

Gerard took the books, walking out into the hallway with a distant expression. ‘Does he know anything?’

* * * * *

Naomi slipped inside Gerard's house later that night. He’d left the back door open for her, in case any neighbors were being particularly inquisitive. She frowned when she saw him sitting in the darkened living room, a bottle of vodka in his hand.

Naomi could barely make out his form sitting in the chair as she walked toward his silhouette. “Gee?” she asked tentatively. He’d been unusually quiet in class today, and Naomi was beginning to get nervous.

“Gee, what’s wrong?” Naomi asked, setting her bag down and walking toward him.

“Go home, Naomi,” he said in a slurred voice.

“What?”

“You heard me,” Gerard practically growled. “Get out.”

“Gee, what happened?” Naomi asked, feeling her heart pounding in her chest as she took a hesitant step forward.

“We’re getting sloppy,” Gerard said, standing up and taking a huge swallow of the hard liquor. “This can’t continue.”

Naomi felt tears burning her eyes as she looked at him. “Do you really mean that?” she whispered.

Gerard looked away, not wanting to see the pain in her eyes as he nodded.

Naomi swallowed her tears as she backed away. “Fine,” she replied, grabbing her bag. “I’ll see you around.”

Gerard closed his eyes when he heard the door slam behind her. Taking a deep breath and clenching his jaw, he turned and smashed the bottle against the wall.

-------
AN - I'm such a bitch =)
Ah well. The drama keeps it interesting.. My life is boring *cough* except for Ben+Buds *cough* so I can make my characters lives hell >=]