Sequel: An Old Beginning
Status: Complete

Guilty Pleasures

Chapter 34

Naomi sat with Jo a few days later, having a much needed girl’s night for Naomi's birthday. Ever since Naomi's affair with Gerard, she felt like she’d been neglecting her best friend. Jo and Pete had embraced a tentative relationship since Homecoming, and tonight was the first night the two girls even got to talk about anything personal in months. It felt good to relax with some cheesy eighties movies and not have to think about her
Gerard-related problems. At least that’s what she kept telling herself.

“Okay, Nae, spill it.”

Naomi turned to Jo, a surprised look on her face. “Spill what?”

“I know you’ve been keeping something from me, and I’ve been playing the good friend role by not pushing, but you’ve become really withdrawn and depressed this week, and I want to know why.”

Naomi stared in shock. Should she tell her? It would definitely lift a very pressing weight from her shoulders and hopefully let the healing process begin. That’s what Naomi needed. She needed to put distance between Gerard and herself, and who better to help with that than her trustworthy best friend.

“Can you keep a secret?”

“You know I can,” Jo replied, turning her full attention to her friend.

“I’ve been seeing somebody…at least I was, until recently.”

“Nae, why didn’t you tell me?” Jo asked softly, her voice full of concern, wondering what could have happened to cause this big of a change.

“Because it’s kind of…illegal.”

Jo's eyes widened. “You’re not seeing a drug dealer, are you?” she asked in a panicked voice.

Naomi had to smile at her friend. “No, Jordii. Not that kind of illegal. He’s…older.”

“Oh,” Jo said with relief before her eyes widened. “Ooooh.”

“Yeah…and that’s not all.”

“If you don’t want to tell me, that’s okay, but I’ll keep it a secret if you need to talk about it.”

“It’s Mr. Way,” Naomi squeaked before burying her head in a pillow.

Jo sat in stunned silence for several long minutes. “Our history teacher?” she asked quietly, needing it to be confirmed.

Naomi raised her flushed face to look at her friend. “Yeah,” she said softly before putting on a fake, cheery face.
“So, tell me about you and Pete.”

“Uh uh, no way you’re getting out of this one, missy. You’re going to talk to me. When did this start?”

“A few months ago, around the start of the school year,” Naomi murmured.
“He…he ended it…a few days ago.”

“That’s why you really weren’t in school? I thought you were sick.”

“Yeah,” Naomi said in a choked voice as her emotions started overwhelming her.

“Naenae, I’m sorry. Are you okay?”

Naomi shrugged, biting her lip. “I keep hoping it will get better…it hasn’t.”

Jo wrapped a comforting arm around Naomi's shoulders. “Did you love him?”

“I do,” Naomi said as tears streamed down her face. “I love him so much and…”

Naomi trailed off as she took a deep breath, trying to get the strength to
say what she needed to say. “Jo, I’m pregnant.”

----------------
DUNDUNDUNNNNNNNNN.. Damn. I love that noise =D It's so early.. (8.45am) I doubt anyone would be up to read my update.. Ah well *whistles*