Sequel: An Old Beginning
Status: Complete

Guilty Pleasures

Chapter 35

“Pregnant?” Jo asked in disbelief. “You’re pregnant?”

“I found out this morning,” Naomi said softly. “I…I didn’t know if I should tell you, but…”

“It’s okay,” Jo said, giving her a hug. “I’ll help you through this.”

“Thanks,” Naomi said with a soft smile.

“Are you going to tell him?”

“I’ll have to,” Naomi murmured. “I don’t know how, but I know I have to.”

“What about your mom? When are you going to tell her?”

“I was kind of thinking I could put off that conversation,” Naomi replied, picking at the fabric of the couch.

“For how long?”

“Eighteen years,” Naomi said, throwing her head back on one of the pillows.

“Nae-“

“I know, I know, I have to tell her. Can you do it for me?” she asked with a hopeful expression.

Jo gave her a gentle smile. “You can do it, Nae. I’ll be there with you, if you want me to.”

“That would be great.”

* * * * *

Naomi and Jo talked for several hours. When Donna Hackett walked through the door, Naomi was almost feeling at ease with the idea of telling her mother that she was going to be a grandmother. Almost.

“You have to, Nae,” Jo whispered. “The sooner the better.”

“Why do you have to be the voice of reason?” Naomi pouted.

“Hi, girls!” Donna said brightly as Naomi walked over to her mother. “Did you have a good day?”

“Um…no…I really didn’t,” Naomi replied. “I had a really, really bad day actually.”

“Are you pregnant?” Donna asked, her face going blank.

Naomi eyes widened before she took a deep breath and nodded. “I am.”

“Oh, honey,” Donna said as tears began flowing from both of them. She gave Naomi a crushing hug before pulling back to look at her little girl. “How many times have we talked about birth control?”

“I know,” Naomi said with a sob. “And I was taking the Pills, but I missed a few and…I’m sorry. I was so stupid and I know that…I’m so sorry.”

Jo stood back, watching the tender scene. She was proud of Donna for not judging her daughter, but then again, she didn’t know who the father was yet.

“Are you keeping it?” Donna asked quietly.

Naomi nodded. “I couldn’t…I can’t get rid of it. It’s already a part of me, even though it’s not even…formed.”

“Okay,” Donna said, trying to control her tears. “I’m going to help you, Nae. What about the father?”

Naomi and Jo took a collective breath. Jo came forward to hold her friend's hand, wanting to show her all the support that she could.

“Mom, you’re not going to like who the father is,” Naomi said quietly.

“Who is it?”

“Before I tell you, you have to promise me that you won’t freak out and try to call him or contact him, okay?”

“Okay…I promise not to call him or contact him.”

“Or freak out?”

“I’m reserving that right.”

“It’s Gerard Way,” Naomi said softly.

“Gerard Wa…oh my God!” Donna cried, her hand flying up to her mouth. “Yourhistory teacher? I’m going to report him.”

“Mom, you promised!” Naomi said, her voice taking on a frantic, high-pitched quality.

“I promised I wouldn’t call him- that doesn’t mean I can’t have him arrested.”

Jo's hand tightened its hold on Naomi as the other girl nearly collapsed in sobs. Naomi crumbled to the floor, fresh tears streaming down her face.

“Ms. Hackett,” Jo said softly. “I know it’s not my place to say anything, but I don’t think that would be the best solution.”

“Her history teacher took advantage of her- I can’t think of a better solution than getting him thrown in jail,” Donna replied, looking around for the phone.

“Mommy, please don’t do this,” Naomi said in a choked voice. “He didn’t take advantage of me…I love him.”

Donna stopped and looked at the two girls. Jo cradled Naomi against her as they both cried.

“Have you told him?” Donna asked softly, getting a handle on her sanity again.

“No,” Naomi said softly. “We had to…it’s over.”

Donna had no idea how to feel about that. She didn’t want her daughter to be involved with her history teacher, but she knew how miserable the coming months would be carrying the child of a man she loved who she couldn’t be with.

“I told you I’d be here to help you,” Donna said softly. “And I meant it.”

Naomi breathed a sigh of relief as her mother hugged her. “Thank you,” she
whispered, clutching at her mother as if she was a lifeline. “Thank you so much.”
-----------
I put 'Donna' saying 'Are you pregnant' straight away. Because if I'm upset, or crying. That's the first thing my mother says. Such faith she has in me.
Well. I guess its better than if Im having an asthma attack. And she just passes it off as me being winded!