Sequel: An Old Beginning
Status: Complete

Guilty Pleasures

Chapter 36

Naomi stayed after class the next day, waiting for all of the students to file out. Jo had offered to stay for support, but Naomi knew she had to do this by herself.

Gerard looked up as Naomi nervously approached his desk.

“What do you want, Naomi?” he asked, letting his anger from the previous afternoon boil to the surface as he looked at the papers he was grading. If she wanted to ignore him, it could easily go both ways.

“You said you wanted to talk,” Naomi said quietly. “I’m here to talk.”

“So now she wants to talk,” Gerard said, looking at the ceiling. “Well, I’m a little busy now, Miss Hackett. Maybe we could do this another time.”

“Gee, please-“

“It’s Mr. Way,” Gerard replied. He immediately regretted the callous statement when he saw the pain in her eyes.

“After everything that we’ve been through, it’s back to the formalities,” Naomi said, mostly to herself, before sighing in defeat. “About what happened-“

“Look, it had to end,” Gerard said with a shrug, not even committing to what he was telling her. “It was best that it ended when it did, before something bad happened.”

“Like what?” Naomi asked with a twinge of fear in her voice.

Gerard looked around, making sure they were alone before he spoke again. “Like the consequences that come with having sex,” he said in a low voice.

Naomi swallowed hard as she tried to get control over her raging hormones. She fought to keep her hand from reflexively grabbing her abdomen. A maternal instinct that she already possessed when she felt threatened by something she had no control over. “And that would have been bad?”

“It wouldn’t have been good,” Gerard said softly. It sounded convincing to himself, but why did he not believe it?

“Okay, then,” Naomi said walking toward the door, her eyes flashing with repressed anger. "I should get going."

“Naomi I didn’t ask you to stay because of…the past. I actually wanted to talk about something else.”

“Like what?” Naomi asked, turning around with a bored expression.

“I’m becoming more concerned about your grades.”

Naomi raised an eyebrow as she hoisted her bag onto her shoulder. “Like I give a shit.”

Gerard watched in shock as she turned and walked out of the classroom. The coldness of her voice had surprised him. The distance in the tone, as if what they experienced together had never been real.
---------
Lalala.. One more update before I skip off to eastbourne? I think so..