Status: Completed.

The Wonder of You

Going Steady

Emmett was dropped off in front of Paula’s house that Monday before school. She had demanded to pick him up from his house, but he refused saying that it was a waste of time and his siblings could just drop him off there. He knocked on the door and was let in by Paula’s mother, Shirley.

Paula quickly finished putting on her makeup, she grabbed her leather jacket and fixed her bandana as she ran out of her room she grabbed her book bag and dashed down the stairs hoping her mother hadn’t told anymore embarrassing stories.

Luckily for Paula she made it down the stairs before just as her mom was letting him in. Paula kissed her mom on the cheek and Emmett bid her farewell.

Once outside Emmett kissed Paula tenderly on the lips and said, “Mia Princepessa.”

Paula has never been one to blush, but when he called her my princess in Italian her face turned red as a tomato.

She buried her face into his strong cold chest, but Emmett placed his hand underneath her chin and brought her face up so that they were staring into one another’s eyes.

“You look cute when you blush.”

“I do not. I’m like a fucking tomato over here.”

“You are not, you’re beautiful.”

“Thanks, you’re not to bad yourself Teddy. Now get in the car before you make me miss my grand entrance.”

Emmett opened the door for Paula and she got in behind the wheel. He closed the door and made his way over to his seat and got in.

Paula put on the radio to her favorite oldies station, the Everly Brothers were on. She had one hand on her steering wheel and the other one resting on an arm rest, Emmett moved his hand slowly and held her hand. She smiled at him and bit her lower lip.

This boy was driving her mad! Not in all the three years that she’d been with Brad had she ever let him hold her hand while she drove or had she blushed.

This Emmett kid, he’s the real deal.

As they drove into the school parking lot Paula began feeling everyone’s eyes on their car. Brad had showed up by himself, obviously telling the school about their break up and now the school was on its toes to find out who Paula was with.

Paula parked in her spot, and turned over to Emmett who was still holding onto her hand, she giggled and said, “They’re gonna be looking at us more than usual today.”

“Really? I hadn’t thought they would.”

“You’re so lame!”

“What? Me Lame? You heartbreaker!”

“Come on let’s go.”

Paula was about to open the door, but Emmett reminded her to stay inside he would open the door for her. She sat there impatiently until he reached her door and opened it.

Emmett held out his hand, which she gladly took. Emmett waited for her to leave and stood next to her unsure if he could wrap his arm around her, because Paula never let Brad wrap around her.

“You can hold me.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, I’m not ashamed for people to see me with your around of me. I dig you Teddy.”

Emmett kissed her forehead softly, and wrapped his arm around her shoulders. Paula wrapped her arm around his waist and they made their way to where all the Greasers and Cullen’s were sitting down talking.

The school could not believe that Paula was going out with Emmett Cullen. Of course he was gorgeous and had dark hair, they complemented one another, but the teens just didn’t want to believe it.

The boys were hoping she’d remain single long enough for one of them to woo her and the girls didn’t want her to woo Emmett because they all wanted a shot with him.

A month went by and the buzz from the war had settled down, but the T-Birds knew better than to thinking that the war had been avoided.

There had been no rumbles because the Scorpions had been training hard so that they would not be embarrassed the next time they faced the T-Birds.

Knowing that the Scorpions were training hard made the T-Birds kick practices into overdrive. They now practiced three times a week for an hour and a half a time.

None of the T-Birds were fond of the practices, but they all knew that it was necessary if they wanted to keep their town safe.

In the past month Emmett and Paula had grown closer. Every moment that Paula wasn’t training she spent with Emmett, even while she slept (unbeknownst to her of course).

Paula had never felt so happy in all of her life, for the first she felt complete. Like there was nothing missing.

Her whole life she had joked around that all she needed was her car, gas, and someone to sit beside her and love her. She never thought that she would find a guy she could actually
love and respect; but Emmett is that guy.

Paula stared at herself uneasily in the mirror. She was wearing a coral fifties dress with a white cardigan, she had her hair down in gentle curls, and was not wearing her heavy make up.

“MA!”

“Yes dear? Oh you look beautiful!”

“Do I really? Be mean!”

“Charlie! Come look at our baby.”

Her father walked into the doorway and when he looked at his little girl, he was speechless. His eyes got watery and he pulled her into a big hug, he pulled away and said, “You’re stunning.”

“Thanks, I just I don’t know you know. This ain’t my style, but tonight’s important. I want to look presentable you know? Grandpa told me he rented a tuxedo for the occasion and you did too so I thought, I thought this would be good.”

“It is. Now go.”

Paula kissed them goodbye and jumped into her car. She fidgeted on the drive over to the Cullen’s place.

Paula wasn’t expected over, but she couldn’t wait until school on Monday like she had planned; she just had to do it tonight.

Paula parked in the Cullen driveway and slipped on the coral white peep toe pumps. She walked over to the door slowly, not being an expert in walking in heels.

Paula was about to knock on the door when Alice opened it. Alice’s jaw dropped when she saw Paula.

“What? Do I look fucking hideous? Don’t tell me I’m ugly you know how long I spent on this! Hours. Never mind I’ll come back tomorrow when I’m presentable.”

“What are you talking about! You’re gorgeous. Oh my! I always knew you were stunning, but this hot momma.”

“Who’s a hot momma?”

Emmett stopped dead in his track when he saw Paula. She was an angel, no more beautiful than an angel.

The coral color looked beautiful on her slightly tan skin, and her star tattoos came to life on her beautiful face.

“Emmett. Do you wanna go for a drive with me? Please?”

“I’m not dressed up. Give me a sec, I must look awful.”

“You’re perfect. You always are.”

Emmett’s smile was as wide as possible when she said that. Paula bit her lip nervously and blushed; she couldn’t believe she had said that.

She wasn’t one for mushy and sentimental things, but he, he brought it out in her. Emmett walked over to her and kissed her gently on the lips and they were out of the house.

“So where exactly are you taking me?”

“You’ll see.”

They drove for thirty minutes, until they reached an orchard. Paula parked the car next to the side of the road and turned so she faced Emmett. Emmett sensed that she was nervous, so he placed a gentle hand on the side of her face.

She grabbed his hand and kissed it lovingly and said, “Emmett?”

“Yeah Marie?”

“I love you.”

Emmett was shocked when she said that. Of course he always dreamed of hearing her say those words, but she wasn’t the type of person to use such terms.

He had found out that she had never said I love you to Brad and they had been together for three years. She also never told him I love you, not even I like you, she always used I dig you.

He realized he must’ve been quiet for a long time because Paula was beginning to look worried, he smiled and said, “I love you too.”

Paula eyes watered with joy and she said, “I’ve been wanting to tell you that forever. I was just scared of loving someone so much. It’s crazy how close I feel to ya. When I’m with you I feel like I’m on cloud 9 like nothing can go wrong. I know I’m not the best person. I curse; I smoke; I drink; I fight; but I will never hurt you, I will never lie, I will never be untrue, I will never give you a reason to cry. Emmett, I want to know if you’d go steady with me.”

“I will.”

Paula reached into her bra and took out her class ring. She knew it wouldn’t fit his fingers so she had a white gold chain made for Emmett.

“What is that?”

“I have to give you something so people know we’re going steady. This is my class ring and I know it don’t fit. So I got a chain so you can wear it around your neck. Can I put it on you?”

“Yeah.”

Paula went over to Emmett’s seat and straddled him. She unhooked the chain and put it around his neck. One the necklace was secured she stayed there her hand caressing his cheek.

“you have to get me a mirror warmer.”

“A mirror warmer?”

“It’s like a scarf or a bit of fabric, usually cashmere, with your favorite color and your initials. So I can put it on my bike mirror or my car mirror so people know that I’m going steady with you.”

Emmett knew that he had to tell her the truth about himself, about his family. He’d been trying to put it off as long as possible, but he couldn’t anymore. Going steady’s like being engaged and he didn’t want her to feel like she didn’t know a very important part about himself.

“Marie,” he said softly.

“Yeah,” she responded

“I have to tell you a secret about myself.”

“I already know.”

“You know?”

“Yeah, you’re fucking cold all the time, strong, too handsome to be human.”

“Say it.”

“You’re superman.”

“I’m not.”

“then what are you?”

“A vampire.”