The Only Way I Know

Are You Leaving Home?

Alex grabbed me tightly into a hug.

"Jamie, you can't be leaving," she said. "Your whole life is here!"

I nodded, the tears silently streaming down my face. My eyeliner must have completely disappeared by now.

I don't know how long we sat there for. She cried with me. I was causing her pain too.

"Jamie, you have to at least text me every fucking day," Alex whispered. She immediately froze. "Where are you going?"

I froze as well. "I'm not sure," I replied.

It all went by in a blur. I wasn't even sure if this was the last time I'd be seeing Alex.

I slowly walked home, my hands deep in the pockets of my dark blue jeans. It began to lightly drizzle. I was irresistibly reminded of the Boulevard of Broken Dreams clip. Walking down that empty street.

All alone, all alone.

My dreams were broken.

My shadow was the only one that walked beside me.

I couldn't help smiling in spite of my self. Despite all this, I could still relate to Green Day.

I walked through the front door of my small house. I heard my mum packing.

"Mum?" I called out. I wiped my face. I couldn't make this harder for her.

She came out of the kitchen. She look terrible. As though her heart had been ripped to shreds.

I was tightly pulled into a hug.

"Mum, where are we going?" I whispered.

"Hampshire in England. We're staying with an old friend of mine."

England? It was so far away!

I broke down in tears again. I had always wanted to go overseas. I'd never even been on a plane before. But now England sounded like a stupid idea. It sounded like a distant planet where I'd have to start my life all over again. Right from the start.

"When are we leaving?" I choked out.

"Tomorrow."

This was even worse. How could this all be possible? How could this all happen so suddenly. And it had only been yesterday that I had gone to a fucking Green Day concert. Only yesterday that I had met them all. Only yesterday I came home and saw my mum on the floor -

I had never hated my life now.

But now I did.