Unitl I Break

Chapter 28: Grease Monkey

The next morning Seville woke up before everyone else on the bus… which means with the adorable exception of Frank and Gina, she had gotten up before the drooling, passed out band techs strewn about the bus. Carefully she steadied herself and tiptoed out of the bus into the crisp, yet humid early morning air. Strangely enough it only took a few minutes for Seville to find John who quickly set her about to working; more or less Seville had forced him to let her start working again that morning. She was quickly whisked away to the main stage in the back of a gator to set up sound.

Though they said nothing, both Frank and Gina were concerned when Seville was nowhere in sight when they finally awoke. She was still really weak and after what happened last night, and given her previous “history” it was not a good thing for her to go missing.

But they held their tongues as they set about their day, inquiring only here and there as to if anyone had seen her; to each inquiry the answer was no or I haven’t seen her all day.”

At one point Gee began asking; it had been his ritual at that point, or at least for the past two weeks, no matter how wasted he was, to go in and check on Seville around noon.

“Hey Frank, you seen Ville at all? She’s not on the bus and no one knows where she’s at?” carrying an amp one of matt’s drums to the stage they’d be playing at that day.

“No I haven’t seen her since last night, im sure she’s around here somewhere.” Frank sad not so reassuringly, wondering also where matt was at the moment.

“I know it’s just… I dunno…”

Listening in on the conversation Hannah had to laugh, and she did, “I know Gerard.”

“Know what?”

“Why you’re concerned….” She said teasingly as she walked over to him and nudged him, “it’s because you’re in looooooveeeeeeeee, hehehe” she said with a chuckle she couldn’t resist.

“I, I am no…” Gerard began but he was interrupted.

“I’d love to see you talk yourself out of this one Romeo….” Ray said joining the conversation
as he prepped his guitar.

Gerard was blushing something fierce when Matt joined the group.

“what’s going on guys?” he asked finishing his question with a loud belch, “ damn I can’t even fucking see straight we drank so much last night.”

“No, you drank so much last night.” Mikey said, making Frank glad he held his tongue.

“Yeah between you and Gerard, hell I bet you doubled whatever everybody else drank as a collective whole,” Ray added.

Gee chimed in whinely, “I didn’t have THAT much guys!”

“Yeah okay Getard, whatever you say but im pretty sure if you guys were snails, we’d be scrapping your snaily insides off the ground this morning.” Mikey said cynically to Gerard in a typical brotherly banter tone.

Everyone kind of starred at Mikey as if he where from outer space for a moment.
“What?” Mikey said confused by the strange looks, “snails explode if they drink beer.”

“Whatever Mikey.” Gina said playfully walking off to get more stuff ready, Mikey tagging along saying, “but its true Gina, doesn’t everyone know that the yeast makes the snails explode! Like when you feed Alka-Seltzer’s to seagulls!” which warranted yet another silent gaze from Gina.

Turning back to the conversation, “But you think she’s okay right?” Gee inquired.

“Who what now?” Frank said confused, thrown off by the quick changes in topic.

Hannah helped him out, “Seville… what Gerard is really asking is if you think he should go look for her.” She explained effortlessly as she pulled an amp off the stage, “ you know I didn’t think I d be doing all this heavy lifting anymore, but some how some way, here I am.”
Hannah said aloud to herself.

“It’s because you’re one of us,” Gina explained, “You’re a diehard.”

“I suppose….” Hannah said shrugging her shoulders and continuing to do the brunt of the work while Frank reassured Gee that Seville was probably fine.

They played their set and everything was fine for the rest of the day. Though as it got later and later Frank and Gina became really concerned. So they went on a desperate search; they looked high and low, they asked everybody and anybody. They tried crazily to find John or Kevin as well but as per the usual both were no where to be found. But, it was not normal for Seville to be nowhere to be found. Gina now desperate, the last thing she and frank wanted to do was to try and explain what Seville had asked them to keep secret, she figured she’d go check the bus one more time.

Panting and out of breath from running around like crazy, she was halted by Thor, “Geez, Gina, you trainin for a marathon or somethin?” he said in a southern drawl.

“Ha Ha Thor, hey have you seen ville at all?”

“Not since this morning, no why?” Thor asked.

“No one can find her, and you know she’s been sick so we were worried.”

“well why didn’t you say that in the first place, no see what you really meant to ask was if I knew where she was, because while I haven’t seen her all day I know exactly where she is. Come on,” Thor said leading a relieved and annoyed Gina a few hundred yards down to a small beat up van.

“where is she?” Gina asked

“ahh now watch m’dear.” He said as he walked up to the front side of the van and knocked on the side, “ Ville you still alive?”

“I think so.” Said a smiling and grease covered Seville coming out on a roller from beneath the van.

“Shit Seville where have you been all day you know we’ve been looking all over for you?”
“Well did you ask John…” but Seville stopped, “you probably couldn’t find him either could you?” she said smiling.

Gina shook her head, “what on earth have you been doing Seville? You look as greasy as Bert.”

“I’ll show you, hold on a sec.” she said jumping up throwing the hood open messing with something then slamming the hood down again. “Okay Thor turn the ignition for me.”
Voila! It started instantly with a glorious pur or perfection.

Seville am i suppose to be amazed?" Gina asked sincerely when the car started.

"DUH!" Seville said jumping up and down, "It didn’t have an engine at all when i started!"
"Huh?"

"Okay so this van is one of the smaller bands' when they got here this morning, it caught fire and poof ....no engine or a lot of things actually. I was working and heard them talking, and offered to help. I took Johns van to a junkyard with 50 dollars that band had to spare and found all the spare parts I needed. brought them back here and rebuilt the van... so voila!" said a very proud Seville.

"You did a great job Seville, those boys won’t know how to contain themselves." Thor said proud as well.

"Seville, I hate to tell you this but, you have some serious issues." Gina said pulling Seville back to the group with her laughing.

"It's more fun that way though isn't it ?" she asked gian as they walked off, "Thor tell the guys I’ll see em around!"

"Here," Seville said wiping a bit of grease from her arm on Gina's face like battle paint, "hold this for me will you?!" she said taking off in a run.

"Ville you are sooo dead," Gina said attempting to catch up but too exhausted from the running around shed been doing earlier, "Please don’t make me run Ville!"

As seville reached the bus, a pacing Franks came into view. It wasn't until she got closer that she realized he was talking to someone, to a cop.

"She's about oh i don’t know, she s kinda tall, and kinda skinny, she has curly blonde hair..." Frank said.

"who me?" Seville said with a smile interrupting Franks description.

"Sweet Jesus Seville where have you been? Thanks you so much officer, " Frank said in an aside.

"Seville you are a regular grease monkey!" Gina said jogging up to Seville and Frank. A smile spread across Frank’s face as Gina came up to him and planted a huge kiss on hi tired lips, sending chills down his spine.

"ummm... right so im gonna go find a shower of sorts..." Seville said nonchalantly sneaking on to the bus.

"Hold up missy," Frank said sternly, "Don’t you have anything to say for yourself?" he asked in a fatherly tone.

"Ummm .... I hope you and Gina have a nice evening?" she said with a smile, clearly not the response that Frank was insinuating be given.

"a hem.... "Gina said tapping her foot.

"Okay okay, I prolly should have woke you up or something, I really do appreciate everything you guys have done for me and I hope i didn’t make your day miserable." Seville said apologetically.

"Apology accepted." Gina said and she and Frank walked off hand in hand.

The next day they were in Arizona and it was hot...it felt as though she had woken up on the sun as the temperature reached 110 before noon. Kids were passing out all over. But at least the morning had started out pleasantly for the first time in what seemed like ages. Seville had been lying silently in her bunk for a while, not sleeping, and not fully awake, she tired to justify staying in bed while the amount of light seeping through the curtains led her to wonder why her alarm hadn’t yet gone off. Just as she was falling back to sleep she heard someone pull the curtain aside and slide in next to her. The warm scent of coffee and the comforting arm around her waist told her it was Gerard, even before he whispered into her ear.

“Ville, sugar you gotta get up now.”

“but I don’t want to, I want to lay like this forever…” she said innocently rolling over in his arms to face him.

“God you’re beautiful, “Gerard said sweeping her hair out of her eyes and leaning in to kiss her. The kiss was gentle, yet said everything; meaning and care seeped out as he gently caressed Seville’s tongue with his own.

“Why are you up so early?” she asked as Gerard pulled away.
“I’m not. You’re just up late.”

Instant panic setting in, “WHAT DO YOU MEAN? SHIT! I can’t be LATE! NOT TODAY! NOT AFTER I CONVINED JOHN I COULD WORK!” she yelled trying to clamor over Gerard.
“Whoa Whoa, Ville its okay, John knows its okay…” Gerard said blocking her exit from the bunk.

“What? Now I’m confused… It’s way to soon for me to be thinking, care to explain sir?” Seville asked lying back down and kissing Gerard once more.

“Only if you do that again….” He said devilishly.

“Only if you tell me what’s going on sneaky man.”

“Nothing sneaky but you got the day off cause we gotta go into town and our set isn’t till late so I thought, I dunno, that you and I’d, well we’d hang out?”

“Wait why do I have the day off?” she asked lost in Gerard’s nonsensical explanation.
“cause you gotta get your hand looked at, and because Kevin thinks you should take it slow….” The last bit was rushed Gerard knew it would piss her off. If there was one thing that made her angry it was the underestimation of her abilities.

“What the hell!” she said frustrated rolling onto her back, “I can do this I’m fine now,” she claimed despite her feeling slightly weak yet.