Unitl I Break

Chapter 51: The truth in cliche

Outside the room:

“Is she okay? What’s wrong? Has she woken up? What did the doctors say? Can I see her?”
“whoa whoa whoa dude, chill out. Yeah she woke up….” I said calmly waking over to a sitting area that lay adjacent to the floor desk and Seville’s room. Sitting down, “but she just fell back to sleep, but you should still go in, just try not wake her up.”

Gerard didn’t waste any time getting in the room as he made a beeline for the door.
“Is he okay?” I asked the guys as we stood around.
“Yeah man, I think he just realized how much he loves her,” Mikey said leaning against the wall while ray sat down beside me and Bob took seat in a chair opposite ray.
Everybody looked stressed out, but then again how could they not be, our friend was int there dying and they didn’t even know the worst of it yet.

Bob was the first to speak up again, “So is she gonna be okay?”
“yeah, yeah the Doctor’s said that you saved her man…. She’s … well… shes alright.”
I could hear them all sigh with relief, I knew this would ony be momentary so I started prepping for what I knew they would ask next.

And they did.

“She what’s wrong with her?”
“Well at first they didn’t know, they just thought maybe it was pneumonia or something like that so they ran like a gazillion tests and scans and everything just to make sure all of their bases were covered. Well they were looking and looking and couldn’t come up with anything and then they got the MIR scans back.”
“and?” Ray asked encouraging my response… the little light they had entered his eyes when I said she was okay was already disappearing.
“Well I … I .. shit, I don’t really know how to say this guys, she well se has cancer. They found it during the scan and well she seems okay with it.” I had just killed my friends.
Bob was rubbing his face.
Ray was in disbelief, “Seriously? Seriously? How ? How? What kind I mean is she what is it?”
And Mikey was frantically pacing, he had to puff on his inhaler before he started dry heaving.
When we all got up to help him he just pushed us away and ran towards the stairs.
I looked at Ray then to Bob, “you better go after him man,” bob said in a sullen voice.
I chased after Mikey down the stairwell, for an asthmatic kid the boy was doing okay getting down the stairs in a hurry. When I reached the bottom floor I could see him outside in the emergency bay slouched over resting his hands on his knee trying to catch his breath.
“Mikes?” I said softly as I walked outside.
“I I I just… I just, how many ? why? She…she is … I just needed to get some a a a air.” He ushered out in between his hyperventilation.
“Mikey Mikey come on buddy sit down and breathe dude.” I said pulling him over to bench.
“I just I don’t know what’s happening anymore. And I feel bad because when you said it the first thing I thought was ‘how is Gerard gonna make it without her?’ is that shitty? That I thought that first, Frank? Is that… does that make mea bad person?”
“no man, no, that doesn’t make you a bad person it just means you love your brother. We all know what she’s done for him…to him.”
“she’s his world….but god what if something happens to her?” Mikey was near tears, “I don’t know what he’d do if she doesn’t make it through this…”
They sat like that for a few minutes in silence. Frank smoked a cigarette while Mikey remembered how to breathe.
“Has anyone told Dustin yet?” Mikey asked
“No, Seville doesn’t want anyone to tell him, she doesn’t want him to worry.”
“that’s gonna be interesting to hide from him.”
“no shit.”
“so who’s gonna tell Gerard?” Mikey asked
The two headed up stairs to break the news.