Australia

Chapter Twenty Eight

Nick's POV

"What?"

An echo of mine and Joe's voice bounced off the walls. I looked at Joe; unsure whether the look on his face was one of shock, horror or delight. I, on the other hand was worried. Living under the same roof as Sam? I felt my heart rate pick up.

"You didn't think we were going to make the girl stay in a hotel did you?" Dad stepped out from behind mum.

"Well, no," Joe stuttered. "But, like, I didn't expect you to let her stay here. I mean, we are dating mum."

"I understand that, but I also trust you," Mum rested her hand on Joe's shoulder. "I know that nothing’s going to happen; unless you suddenly decided to get married at 18." Mum chuckled and I stifled a laugh myself. What mum said was true; however, I thought getting over Sam was going to be easy. With her being in the same house as me; it wasn't.

“True,” Joe smiled now. “I mean, she doesn’t know this place; country I mean. She’ll need an escort.

“Yep,” I nodded; I chewed my thumb nail nervously. “We can hand out all the time. We’ll be together all the time. Breakfast, lunch and dinner; together.”

Both mum and Joe cocked an eyebrow at me.

“Excuse me,” I excuse myself and left the room; walking out the back garden.

Sam's POV

"Grab your things sweetie," Mrs. Jonas smiled at me ; I was still sitting on the lounge; watching the goings on intrigued. "I'll show you to your room."

"Thanks Mrs. Jonas," I stood and grabbed my suitcase.

"Please. Call me Denise," Mum smiled again, leading Sam upstairs.

Denise led me up the stairs to a bedroom at the end of the corridor. I heard the front door close and guessed it was Kevin taking Danielle home. She was so nice; she made me feel so much at home here, even though she didn’t live here herself. She was actually from New Jersey staying here for a few days because Kevin was home from touring. Seeing them together really gave me a warm fuzzy feeling in my stomach; it was the same feeling Joe gave me when he looked at me.

“Here we are, honey,” Denise stopped and opened the door at the very end of the corridor. It opened up to a medium sized bedroom. I twin size bed sat against the wall in the centre under a long bay window; of course the curtains had been pulled closed because it was night, but I could tell it would let in a lot of light during the day. A dresser was on the other side of the room, along with a chest of drawers and a desk. Beside the bed was a bedside table with a lamp on it. I already knew a picture of my family would sit there. The room had floor boards but a deep purple rug lay from the door way to the bed. An empty bookshelf sat beside the bedside table. I smiled at the room. Before long it would be completely mine; with my own signature touch.

“What do you think?” Denise’s voice interrupted my thoughts.

“It’s perfect,” I smiled politely. “Thank you Mrs… I mean, Denise.”

“You’re welcome dear,” she smiled at me. “I’ll let you settle in.”

She then left me alone; closing the door as she went. I dropped my suitcase and threw myself on the bed. I was here in a house with the Jonas’s. I hadn’t stopped grinning since I got here. I sat up stretching my arms above my head. I may as well get started. Getting up I wandered over and grabbed my suitcase; emptying it on to the bed. I stuffed my underwear things in the bedside table draw and my t-shirts, shorts, jeans and socks in the draws of the chest of draws. I hung my suit bag which contained my nice dresses on the hook on the back of the door. At the bottom of my pile of clothes I found the photo of my dad, mum, older brother and myself. I propped it up against the lamp on the bedside table. I stuck my favorite Jonas Brothers poster on the wall and a collage of photos of Tash, Jeremy and I that Tash had made for my birthday above the dresser. I laid my laptop on the desk, along with my mobile, iPod and chargers; making a note to get adapters so they would actually work here. I tucked the suitcase under the bed; then busied myself making the bed with the sheets Denise had left me at the end of the bed. As I was tucking in the far corner of the sheet I heard the door open.

“Hey Denise,” I said aloud. “I’m going to have to get myself a wardrobe to hang my dresses up in.

“Yes m’am,” a voice, not Denise’s answered me. I turned to find Joe leaning against the door frame smirking at me.

Joe’s POV

“What?” Sam raised an eyebrow at me.

“Nothin’” I answered shrugging innocently.

I looked around the room. I remembered what it looked like before; completely bare and very white, apart from the dark purple rug and pale purple curtains. Now, it looked so much different. It was like Sam exploded. Her laptop, phone and power cables were strewn on the desk; clothes were sticking out of draws around the room; she had a photo on her bedside table that I couldn’t make out from my current position. I saw the collage that her friend Tash had made her for her birthday as well as a big poster of Nick, Kevin and I stuck to the wall; the bed was half made, mainly because she was standing with her hands on her hips looking at me. I grinned at her; she shook her head and turned back to the bed.

“If you insist on being in my bedroom you can at least help me,” she ordered, chucking a pillow and pillow slip at me. I caught both and moved to sit down on the desk chair. I watched Sam as she plopped down on the bed and expertly pulled the pillow slip onto the pillow. Once done she put the pillow behind her and lay down, leaving her legs dangling off the bed. I smiled and shook my head. I pulled the pillow slip on with a little more difficulty than Sam and walked over to the bed, imitating her position; although my feet hit the floor. I looked up at the collage that was stuck slightly to my right. The pictures showed Sam and Tash and a boy I hadn’t met.

“So, who’s the guy?” I asked Sam. She sat up, moving to leaning against the space of wall that was visible beside the window. “Tash’s boyfriend?”

“Oh no!” she snorted with laughter. I looked at her stifling laughter myself. “He’s Jeremy and he’s gay.”

“Oh really?” Truth be told, I wasn’t friends with anyone that was gay.

“Yeah, he’s very gay,” she nodded at me, smiling up at the collage.

I followed her line of sight. There were photos of Tash and Sam screwing their faces up, using their fingers to make their noses look like snouts, one with them squishing their noses together and grinning manically and then there was one which was my favourite; Sam and Tash with their arms around each other’s shoulders, in soccer uniforms. It looked older; Sam had braces and Tash didn’t have the piercings. I sat up and pointed to the photo.

“When was this one taken?”

“About 2 years ago. It was just after our soccer grand final,” she smiled at the memory. “Two days later we both decided to give up soccer. She called me and said, “I’m quitting.” At first I didn’t know what she was talking about; then she explained. We both decided to give it up and take up running; which is why I’m so good.” She grinned at me before continuing. “She said running allowed her to be herself. Her birthday wasn’t long after; she wanted to get her lip pierced so it was her birthday present from me. I got mine done too; but took it out. It wasn’t for me. But she loved it; which is why she got a second one. She’s a funny one; but I love her to pieces.”

I heard her voice break.

“You’re going to miss her aren’t you?” I pulled her closed to me and hugged her tightly.

She just nodded, and I pressed a kiss to her temple.

“I’ll pay for her to come and visit,” I promised. “I can’t have my girl sad.”

She smiled a watery smile at me. She was so cute.

“I’m so tired,” yawning to prove her point true, she got up from me and walked towards her drawers; pulling out a pair of black shorts and I white tank top.

“Bathroom?” she asked. I got up and walked to her, giving her a chaste kiss on the lips. She smiled at me, kissing me back.

“Down the hall, last door on the right,” I told her. “I’m going to head to bed myself. Goodnight beautiful.”

“Night,” she smiled at me, before walking towards the bathroom. I smiled after her. She really was so amazing.