Australia

Chapter Seventy Six

Sam’s POV

I was terrified and exhausted. But, I had to do it as well as close the party. I wasn’t sleeping well tonight I could feel it. I looked at Joe who smiled encouragingly at me. I smiled at him before opening my mouth. The lyrics came tumbling out.

We were both young, when I first saw you.
I closed my eyes when the song says so, and I suddenly felt relaxed.
I close my eyes and the flashback starts-
I'm standing there, on a balcony in summer air.


I opened my eyes again and smiled into the audience.

I see the lights; see the party, the ball gowns.
I see you make your way through the crowd-
You say hello, little did I know...


I took a deep breath.

That you were Romeo, you were throwing pebbles-
And my daddy said "stay away from Juliet"-
And I was crying on the staircase-
begging you, "Please don't go..."
And I said...


I locked eyes with Joe and sung to him; like he had sung to me.

Romeo take me somewhere, we can be alone.
I'll be waiting; all there's left to do is run.
You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess,
It's a love story, baby, just say yes.


I saw Joe smile at me. I sighed inwardly at how breathtaking that smile was. I remembered to breathe and continued.

So I sneak out to the garden to see you.
We keep quiet, because we're dead if they knew-
So close your eyes... escape this town for a little while.
Oh, Oh.

Cause you were Romeo - I was a scarlet letter,
And my daddy said "stay away from Juliet" -
but you were everything to me-
I was begging you, "Please don't go"
And I said...


I couldn’t keep the smile off my face.

Romeo take me somewhere, we can be alone.
I'll be waiting; all there's left to do is run.
You'll be the prince and I'll be the princess.
It's a love story, baby, just say yes-

Romeo save me, they're trying to tell me how to feel.
This love is difficult, but it's real.
Don't be afraid, we'll make it out of this mess.
It's a love story, baby, just say yes.
Oh, Oh.


I took a deep breath. I saw Joe rise from his chair and approach the stage.

I got tired of waiting.
Wondering if you were ever coming around.
My faith in you was fading-
When I met you on the outskirts of town.
And I said...


Joe walked up the stairs and stood in front of me. I sang softer; I didn’t know what to think.

Romeo save me, I've been feeling so alone.
I keep waiting, for you but you never come.
Is this in my head, I don't know what to think-


Joe knelt to the ground and my breath stopped in my throat the final note of the bridge came out in a squeak.

He knelt to the ground and pulled out a ring and said...

Joe took the microphone from my hand and sung into it. He changed the lyrics; a personal touch.

Promise Juliet, I'll never have to be alone.
I love you, and that's all I really know.
I talked to my bro – he said this should be perfect.
It's a love story, Sammy just say... yes.
Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh, Oh.


I stood gaping at my boyfriend; Joe Jonas, down on his knees in front of me. He held in between his thumb and forefinger a simple silver ring; no stones, nothing flashing. It was perfect. I looked from his face to the ring and back again. He stood up and stepped closer to me. He switched off the microphone as the song came to a stop. He rested his forehead against mine. I couldn’t breathe; tears were welling up in my eyes.

“It’s a promise ring,” he smiled at me. “This way I don’t have to paranoid, as you say. “Promise me you’ll be mine Sam. I’m ready for us to be us, Sam; 24/7; in both private and public. Please?”

I stared up into his beautiful eyes. I nodded slowly before he swept be off of my feet and spun me around. He put me down and slid the ring onto my ring finger on my left hand. I gazed at it for a second. I slid my hand around the back of his beck and pulled his face down to mine; our lips colliding in a passionate kiss. Applause erupted from around us. I had forgotten we were at Joe’s birthday party. We turned and smiled at the audience; I blushed into the audience and let the tears flow.

“Thanks for coming everybody,” Joe spoke. “We really appreciate it. I believe you’ve all been offered accommodation at the hotel just a few blocks down. I wish you all a restful night and peaceful slumber. Goodnight.”

The guests started to file out and walk the short walk to the hotel. As the waiters and waitresses filed out of the kitchen and beagn clearing up; I turned to Joe.

“Are, are you sure?” I managed to find my voice.

“Trust me, I’ve never been so sure,” he smiled at me and I felt my heart melt all over again. “I love you Sam. I really love you. I swear on my life, what I feel for you is so much stronger than anything I’ve ever felt before. It’s perfect and it’s pure. It’s eternal. I wouldn’t have given you that if I didn’t mean it.”

My eyes teared up again at his heartfelt admission.

“Come on, let’s go back to the hotel,” Joe slid his hand into mine and laced his fingers through my fingers. “I know you could use some sleep.”

I smiled up at him. He couldn’t be more right.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so proud of this chapter.
I really am.
What do you guys think?