Sequel: Queens of the Night

Kings of War

Xander

Telling Elizabeth to stay behind had been one of the easiest things that he had ever done. He knew that she wanted to come. He didn't care. He was not going to have her on the battlefield where he might lose her. Elizabeth was his reason to return alive and not do something stupid. Or rather, not to do something that would have his remains brought back instead of his body. There was no doubt that Xander was bound to do something stupid. There was a battle before them after all. Well, stupid probably was not the correct term.

Dangerous.

Reckless.

Foolhardy.

Courageous.

Admirable.


All of those terms could apply quite nicely to what he was likely to do that day and possibly in the days to come. "Shaun. Eli. Ajax. Come, we have to speak alone." Xander said motioning to the building that had been commandeered as their command center. He had ordered Senga to remain at the castle with Elizabeth. She had been furious, but she had stayed. He had had to give her a direct order to do so, but she had stayed. He trusted her above anyone to stay and protect Elizabeth should they fail. Xander had no intention of failing though.

Xander waited until Ajax had closed and locked the door. "I want tae relegate Eli to the nursing camps," Xander spoke very pointedly towards Shaun ignoring Eli's shout of protest. "While I have nae doubt that ye would no give up nor falter in the fight, neither Shaun nor I have the time tae look after ye and keep ye from being stabbed in the back. This is a war Eli. No a game."

"Don't you think I know that!" Eli shouted glaring at the stoic vampire. "They attacked my son. They have threatened my friends and the man that I love and there is no way in hell I am going to be pushed aside."

Xander sighed and pressed his fingers to his temples. "If I wanted ye pushed tae the side Eli, I would have requested Ajax keep ye in the castle. All I'm asking is that ye consider staying where you might do us better good. Think logically lass." She was still glaring at him. Xander looked at Shaun. "Friend?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Ooo! The excitement is about to begin and to climax! Taylor and I have a plan!

Comments? Subscriptions? BOTH?!