Sequel: Queens of the Night

Kings of War

Elizabeth

It had felt like the longest days of the young vampire's life. Waiting had never been her strong point, especially when Xander was so far from her. She was panic-stricken constantly, worried that Ajax or Shaun would come back with word that her beloved sire had been killed in battle. It would break her, especially knowing she was so far away, that maybe she could have helped, but instead she was stuck here being baby-sat by Senga. As much as she loved Senga, she resented having to stay here like a child and be watched over. Jason needed to be baby-sat, not her. She was a vampire and old enough to make her own choices-- if Xander allowed it.

She had spent all of her nights tossing and turning, unable to get comfortable by herself. The bed was big and empty and she couldn't cuddle herself in enough to sleep. No, her days had been spent in a half- awake haze, playing games with Jason and following Senga around like a lost puppy. She knew Senga didn't want to be here any more than she did, and that made her feel a little better: she wasn't the only one stuck here when she didn't want to be.

But a promise was a promise, and she had agreed to stay. He had ordered it, and Xander was in charge. She did as he told her to do, even if she didn`t like it. Somewhere she was a little afraid that if she disobeyed him, he would be angry with her and stop loving her. Childish and foolish, she knew, but she couldn't help but feel that way. The last thing she wanted was for him to stop caring about her when she loved him so.

She had spent the entire day pacing back and forth in front of the door, waiting desperately for any type of news. Any sound, any sight. So far, nothing. Senga and Jason were elsewhere, she wasn't quite sure where, but well out of her earshot. All she could hear was the sound of her own bare feet on the stone as she walked back and forth, back and forth. She couldn't relax, not without knowing that he was okay. She was sure she would feel something if he was hurt, but that didn't stop her from worrying. Being here was torture.

The soft thrum of footsteps reached her even before she heard the voices announcing the triumphant return of the kings. She pushed the door open and stood there for a moment, pale dress making the dark circles beneath her eyes even more apparent. She scanned the crowd for him immediately. Shaun was in the lead, carrying what looked to be Eli's corpse and Elizabeth let out a horrified gasp, hands clapping to her mouth. It took her a moment to realize that it wasn't merely a corpse. The bloody holes in her throat came into view and Elizabeth understood. But where was Xander?

When she saw him, her heart skipped a beat and for a second she could do nothing but stare at him. And then he paused, and she ran down the steps to throw herself into his arms, fastening her hands around his neck as he held her close to him. He smelled like blood and sweat and dirt, but she had never been so happy to be in his arms.
♠ ♠ ♠
Falalalalalalalala.

comment/subscribe?