‹ Prequel: Random Thoughts
Sequel: Adjustments

Obsticles

Surprises

Nick and Greg walked into the hospital room, Emily was still asleep while Grissom read next to her.

“Grissom,” Nick said, Grissom looked up from his book and saw Nick with a file in his hands.

Grissom got up from his chair and walked into the hallway where Greg looked down at the floor while Nick cleared his throat.

“We have the results…and some are surprising.” Nick said, opening the file “First, rape kit came back, positive. But,” Nick turned to Greg who continued to look at the floor “There were two different types of semen that we founds…” he said.

Greg flinched as Grissom let his eye brow raise up “So, her rapist wasn’t alone?” he asked.

Nick shook his head, he turned to Greg “You gotta tell him.” Nick told Greg, who looked up at Grissom…

“WHY-YOU-LITTLE---!!!” Grissom yelled, running after Greg.

Greg had told him everything and then some more, Grissom started to chase him and Greg refuged to the lobby.

Warrick was the wall between Greg and Grissom, Catherine, Sara, and Nick held Grissom back as he yelled at Greg.

“You stay away from her!” Grissom yelled, walked away and back up to Emily’s room.

The team looked at Greg, who sat in a chair “I told him.”

Catherine gaped at him “Everything?” she asked.

Greg nodded “But that’s not what put him over the edge…Emily’s pregnant.” he said.

Nick watched as people gasped and glared at Greg, either shocked that she was pregnant, or finding out Emily and Greg were an item.

“Congrats, man.” Warrick muttered, sitting next to Greg.

___________________________________________

Emily sobbed as Grissom walked up to her and stroked her hair “It’s alright…” he told her.

“No, it’s not. I’m sorry, dad.” Emily said. “I’m sorry, I didn’t tell you about Greg.”

Grissom sighed “How’d it happen?” he asked.

Emily shrugged her shoulders “He zigged when I zagged, we kissed and the sparks flew…2 years going now.” she told him.

“That explains a lot,” Grissom said.

Emily nodded “Worst day of my life…” she muttered as she looked down at the bed sheets.

Grissom smiled “Worst?” he asked.

“Next to finding out I had a twin and meeting my mother for the very first time, AND getting attacked by the Miniature killer, AND getting flipped ove--”

“—okay, I get it…but you’re pregnant, Emily…” Grissom said, interrupted Emily.

Emily sighed “5 weeks…it won’t be that bad, I’ll be 6 months when I graduate….maybe Greg won’t leave me.” she began to cry, Grissom held onto her closely.

“Oh, no...it won’t get that way. I’ll make sure of it.” Grissom said.

Brass walked into the room “Oh, good, she’s awake. Grissom we’re gonna need to interview her now.” he said.

Grissom sighed “I’ll be in the lobby,” he told Emily as he got out of his seat and assured Emily he wouldn’t be too far away.

“Congratulations on your pregnancy, but now probably isn’t the best time to talk about it.” Brass said.

Emily smiled weakly.

Catherine walked up to Grissom as he left Emily’s room “How is she?” she asked.

Grissom crossed his arms “Shaken…this doesn’t seem fair, she’s been through too many tragic events…”

Catherine cocked an eye brow, she thought for a moment “Grissom, she’s a strong girl. Granted, yeah, she’ll need a few months, but she’ll be back on her feet!” she pointed out.

“Catherine, maybe I should send Emily off to some other crime lab, or maybe make her become a teacher…” Grissom said, he was losing faith in everything around him.

Grissom rubbed his forehead as Catherine took his hand “You got to give it space, watch how this all works out.” She told him.

Catherine smiled as she walked back into the lobby, leaving Grissom standing in the middle of the walkway to think.

Brass walked out of the room momentarily, he looked at Grissom “She wanted me to tell you that she is going back to Yale right after she gets out of the hospital…” he said, patting Grissom’s shoulder.

Grissom smiled “Thanks.” He said, turning around and walking back into Emily’s room.

Emily looked up as Grissom took back his seat next to Emily, who sighed as she tried to get enough energy to say something.

“We have a lot in common,” she whispered, Grissom looked at her confused “…Sara and I…and I think that maybe if I just let that fact come to the surface, I can appreciate her a little more.” She told him, turning to Grissom.

Grissom smiled as he took her hand “That’s good.” He said to her.

Emily nodded “…all I ask, is that you don’t kill Greg.” She whispered to him.

Her eyes begged to be closed as Grissom looked at her, he nodded in agreement “Ok, just sleep…” he told her, pushing away her bangs from her face.

Grissom watched Emily sleep before getting up from his seat and leaving the room.

Emily was in the hospital for a week, nothing was seen or heard from Aaron the whole time, which worried Grissom about letting Emily go back to school.

“Promise me you’ll go to therapy…” Grissom asked her, waiting with her in line to get on the plane.

Emily smiled, a black eye almost taking over her face and a few bruises everywhere “I will…” she told him.

Grissom sighed “And call me when you get there, in fact…call me when you get anywhere!” he told her.

“Dad…” she said.

Grissom sighed “I’m sorry, it’s just--”

“I know, dad…” Emily said, hugging him tightly before leaving to get off the plane “…I left you something, it’s on my bed…” she said, before letting go of her father and giving her ticket to the attendant.

Grissom waved as Emily got on the plane, it was another heartbreaking moment for him, and he always hated it when she would leave then his inner timer would start ticking in his mind, waiting for her to come home.

He just hoped she would come home in one piece.