Sequel: Until The End
Status: Finished- read the sequel "Until The End"

A Little Piece of Heaven

Make Up

Naomi and Jimmy sat nestled in the couch near Zacky, who was wearing a Santa hat and drinking a beer. Brian watched the tv, A Christmas Story was playing. Matt watched the presents under the tree, trying to figure out what my mom had gotten him. I looked out the window, and Johnny put his arms around my waist. I smiled up at him, and he kissed my forehead.

"Merry Christmas, Liss," he whispered in my ear.

"Merry Christmas, Johnny," I replied. I pulled back the curtain as a pair of headlights pulled into the driveway. I sighed.

"I'll be right here," Johnny said. I nodded and hugged him.

I saw my dad and my mom get out of the car, each with a bag of presents. John, Jennifer, and Craig piled out of the back seat. I looked back at Naomi. She didn't look prepared for another night of her mom's antics. She saw me, and she bit her lip.

"They're here," I said.

I opened the door and introduced myself to a wave of mixed emotions. My dad nodded to me as I let him in the door. My mom hugged me and Johnny, and she went into the living room. I closed the door behind Craig, and we joined them. My mom had already begun passing out presents, and Matt could hardly contain himself. He looked like such a little kid. I took a deep breath. Tonight was Christmas Eve, and everyone was here. But tomorrow my parents would leave, and the guys would all be visiting their own familes. Naomi would probably take her parents with her to meet Jimmy's family, and that left me here alone. I suppose it wouldn't be all bad. I could have the Roach guys over for a party if I wanted to.

My mom handed me a small box and said, "Lissa."

I snapped back to reality and slowly took it from her. I just sat there holding it for a second, watching as Matt opened a present from my mom. He was happy to learn it was a Harley Davidson jacket. He put his arm around my mom and planted a kiss on her cheek. I rolled my eyes and held back a laugh.

Brian got a couple of shirts; Zacky got a new stocking hat, which he was grateful for since his last one had disappeared a while ago; Jimmy and Naomi got bed sheets ("For when you get a place of your own," said Jennifer); and Johnny received a couple pairs of jeans. I tried not to laugh- our parents were terrible gift-givers. But they all seemed pretty happy, and I was glad they thought my mom was so cool. I looked down at the box still in my hands.

"You waiting for it to open itself?" asked Mom. "Open it, Lissa! I don't have all my life like you do."

I smiled and tore the green wrapping paper off. I pulled the lid of the box off, and inside was a jewelry box. I looked at my mom inquisitively, but she motioned for me to continue. I opened up the little velvet container.

Inside, a golden band sat amongst the little pool of blue velvet. It had a single emerald surrounded by tiny diamonds. It sparkled in the light, and I sucked in a sharp breath. I looked up at my mom, and she smiled, her eyes filling with tears. She sat up and hugged me. I heard her voice grow shaky as she spoke.

"It was your Grandma Elsa's," she said. In a whisper she added, "I see the way he looks at you, and I want you to have it for..." She trailed off, but I knew what she meant.

For when we get married.

I heard my dad clear his throat, and we looked over. He stood up and said, "I'd like to talk to Lissa for a moment. If I could."

I looked at my mom, and she nodded. I set the box beside her and followed my dad into the kitchen. He leaned against the counter, and I crossed my arms.

"Lissa, we're leaving tomorrow," he began.

"I know," I replied.

"I just wanted you to know. I thought about what you told me, and I feel awful. Well, awful doesn't even begin to describe it. I should feel lucky to have such a wonderful person as you for a daughter. I don't know why I'm like this. I know you never want to see me, though, and I don't blame you."

Was he really apologizing to me? Ironic that he would choose the place I kicked his ass to do it in. I narrowed my eyes slightly, but he continued.

"I've just had a long time to think about it, and I'm sorry. I know a simple apology won't cut it, but I had to say it."

I was silent. I was truly speechless. He held his arms out, and at first I flinched, but I realized he was going to give me a hug. Where was this coming from? I walked into his arms, and he pulled me tight. I had never been given a hug by my father before, and honestly it didn't feel any different than when my mom hugged me. But I wrapped my arms around him, and I hugged him back.

My battles were over.
---------------------------------------------------------
I rolled over in my bed. My parents had left last night, and here I was Christmas morning- laying in bed as everyone else left for their relatives' house. I sighed and covered my face with my pillow.

After a while, somebody removed the pillow, and I saw Johnny. He smiled at me, and he leaned down and kissed me.

"Aren't you getting dressed?" he asked. I noticed he was wearing one of the pairs of jeans my mom had given him.

"Why?" I groaned.

"Because you're coming to my parents house for Christmas dinner. Hurry up and get dressed. I got something for you."

I sat up. He had invited me to his parents without actually inviting me. I smiled at him and wrapped my arms around his neck. He kissed me again, and I was reluctant to leave him. But I did, and I picked out the nicest outfit I had- a dark red shirt and a long black skirt that fell around my knees. I ran my brush through my hair and slipped my black flats on. I met Johnny downstairs, and I saw him holding a maroon bag. He handed it to me.

"Merry Christmas," he said with a smile.

I opened the bag and pulled out a pair of diamond earrings. They were gold, and they matched the ring my mom had given me. My heart skipped a beat, and I looked up at Johnny. He grinned, and I kissed him.

"You didn't have to," I said.

"I know," he replied. "But it's what you do for the person you love."

I looked at him silently.

"I love you, Lissa," he said.
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't know what famous people get for Christmas, so the gifts were lame lol.

Comment? You guys rock!