Well, I'll Wait 'Til You Listen, I Won't Say a Word

In Which I Go To The Formal.

Fast forward to the night of the dance. Adam arrived at my house early, on his best behavior. I answered the door in my formal finery. Adam was wearing a black suit with a blue shirt and a black tie. He had clearly tried to arrange his unruly hair, and failed. But in my opinion, he looked unbelievably handsome.
“Wow,” he said, looking impressed.
“Hah. Thanks,” I said, playing it cool. Inside, I felt really pleased. “And your suit’s so nice, Adam.” I smiled and stood on my toes to kiss his cheek.
“Well, thank you,” he said, smiling wide. He took my hand, “Ready to go?”
“Yeah, let’s go.”

When we got to the school, the gym was decked in its cheesy winter decorations. Blue streamers and paper snowflakes were hanging everywhere.
I laughed quietly when we entered the room. The cheesiness was overwhelming. Then I heard a shout.
“LAAAAAAAAAAAAAANIE!”
I turned to see Matt bounding towards us, Ria in tow.
“Hey, Matty,” but I was getting nervous. Ugh, you idiot. Adam, you love him! Stop with the dumb jealousy, I thought to myself.
“Hey, Matt,” Adam said, grinning. “Apparently, you’re having a good time.”
“I sure am,” Matt replied. He turned his huge smile on me. Oh my God, stop thinking he’s cute.

And thus went the evening, for an hour or so. Adam and I danced a lot, though we were both terrible dancers. It was fun, but tiring.
Finally, a slow song came on.
“Dance with me?” asked Adam.
“Of course,” I answered. Adam placed his hands on my back, and I placed mine on the back of his neck. We swayed, Adam’s eyes locked with mine.
Adam kissed me on the lips softly. “Lanie, I love you.”
At that moment, I froze. You love him, you do. But I loved Matt, too. How could I say I just loved him? Say you love him, Lane.
“Adam, I…Sorry, I need to get out of here for a second. I…uh, feel sick. Be right back, ok?” he nodded.
“Do you need anything?” he said, looking a little concerned.
“No, no. Don’t worry about me.” And with that, I fled the gym.

I rushed into the bathroom and stood at a sink, splashing water on my face. I needed to get over myself. I had a great boy. Plus, I’d already made my decision on Matt, right? I’d turned him down for Adam, hadn’t I?
So why was I changing my mind now?

I left the bathroom five minutes later and hurried down the hallway. And guess who was coming out of the gym when I got there? None other than Matt Rubano.
“Hey, Lanie!” he crowed, “What’s the rush?”
“Matt, can we talk?” it was now or never.
“Sure, Lane. What’s wrong?” his face turning worried, blue eyes looking straight into mine.
A million thoughts rushed through my head. This was Matt, my best friend! I can’t blow my relationship with him and with Adam over this. Oh god, oh god, oh god.
And then I leaned forward and kissed him.

I removed my lips from Matt’s, an astonished look on his face, blue eyes wide.
“Lane.”
“Adam!” My eyes widened as I turned to see him.
His face, his face was what hurt the most. Completely disappointed. Adam’s big brown eyes huge and angry, his mouth open slightly.
“I’m so sorry!” I managed to gasp, and I made a dash to the parking lot.