Status: Active

Stop Pretending. I Know You Really Love Me.

I would kill him.

The next morning I woke up and did my normal morning routine. When I was done I went downstairs. Of course Phoenix was already down there sitting at the table. I stopped when I saw that he was talking to Jay. I had completely forgotten about Jay.

Would he be mad that I was dating Phoenix? Would he be relieved that I broke up with Brent? What would he do to Brent if he knew Brent cheated on me? I closed my eyes and took a deep breath erasing these thoughts. Maybe this was a bad idea. Phoenix is Jay’s best friend. This could cause a lot of problems between them.

When I opened my eyes I saw Phoenix smiling at me. Everything thought that I just had melted away. I smiled back at Phoenix and walked over to them.

“Hi guys. You ready?” I asked them.

“I have to get my books from my room. I’ll be right back.” Jay said before running up the stairs. As soon as Jay was out, I sat down beside Phoenix.

“Um does he uh know?” I asked hesitantly.

“About us? I don’t know. Why? You ashamed of me?” He asked smirking.

“No. It’s just… I’m not sure how Jay will take to this. You are his best friend. And I’m his little sister and-” Phoenix cut me off, kissing me.

“OH MY GOD!” I heard Jay yell. I pulled away and looked at Jay with wide eyes. I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out.

“What the hell?!” He yelled again.

“I-I mean we- we were just uh…” Jay was getting pissed now.

“Dude chill.” Phoenix said trying to calm him down.

“Calm down?! That’s my baby sister!”

“L-let’s just talk about this ok? Hazel just stay in here.” Phoenix said. I opened my mouth to object but they were already out of the kitchen.

Phoenix’s pov

Jay and I walked to Jay’s room.

“What the hell were you thinking?!” Jay yelled when we got to his room.

“This was your idea man! Remember?!” I yelled back quietly so she wouldn’t hear us.

“And I told you not to kiss her again!”

“Jay you can’t fake a relationship without kissing.”

“The hell you can’t!”

“Listen Jay. Do you want me to do this? Or would you rather she go out with someone like Brent again?” He looked down sighing.

“Fine. But keep the kissing to a minimum.” He glared at me.

“Believe me. I will.” Around you. I thought.

“And don’t get too attached to her. After high school, you won’t be going out with her anymore.”

“Fine by me.” I told him.

“Good. Let’s go.” He said. We walked out of his room and downstairs where Hazel was waiting in the front room.

Hazel’s pov

I waited in the front room for Jay and Phoenix. I hope he isn’t hurting Phoenix. It would be just my luck to break up a good friendship. Soon I heard footsteps coming down the stairs. I turned around and saw Jay and Phoenix. Thank god Phoenix wasn’t hurt. Jay didn’t seem as mad.

“Hazel, I’m sorry for how I was acting. It’s just, you’re my baby sister and I’m very protective of you.” Jay said.

“Jay you can’t always protect me. Besides, you know Phoenix. He’s not going to hurt me. Right Phoenix?” I asked.

“Right.” Phoenix said wrapping an arm around me. I saw Jay’s eye twitch.

“Come on. We’re going to be late for school.” I said. We got in Jay’s car and headed to school.

When we got to school, everybody was whispering and staring at me and Phoenix.

“Everyone is staring at us.” I mumbled to Phoenix. He wrapped his arm around me.

“They’re just jealous that I have the hottest girl.” He said smiling at me.

“Yea right.” I rolled my eyes blushing.

“Hazel! Oh my god!” I heard Summer yell as she ran up to us. She seemed excited yet pissed.

“Summer are you ok?” I asked her.

“Is it true?!” She asked.

“Is what true?”

“There are rumors going around school that Brent broke up with you because you cheated on him with Phoenix.” Taylor rolled his eyes.

“What?! That is so not true!”

“Then why is Phoenix’s arm around you?!” Summer yelled.

“Because we are going out.”

“Yea! I knew it!” Summer yelled.

“But I broke up with Brent because number one: I like Phoenix. And number two: he cheated on me with Misty!” I yelled.

“He did what?!” Jay yelled walking up to us.

“Nothing.” I said quickly. I knew he heard what I said though.

“I’m going to kill him.” He hissed. He started walking away but I grabbed his arm.

“Don’t Jay. Just let it go. Please.” I begged him. He looked at me and sighed.

“Fine but if I see him anywhere near you, I will kill him.”

“Don’t worry. I won’t let him get near her.” Phoenix promised.

“Let’s just get to class.” I mumbled.

*
**
***
***
**
*

All day I’ve been getting glares, stares and whispers about me. I hated it. If I hear one more whisper, I swear to god someone is going to be dead.

I’m sitting in class waiting for the bell to ring. Unfortunately Brent is in this class with me. He’s been trying to talk to me all period but I kept ignoring him.

“Hazel. Please talk to me.” He asked for the hundredth time.

“Leave me alone.” I whispered back frustrated. Suddenly two hands slammed on my desk. I looked up and saw the teacher.

“Hazel! Will you please tell me what I was talking about?!” He asked.

“World war one.” I said.

“Mhmm. And what did I just say about it?”

“That it began on June 28, 1914 and ended November 11, 1919.”

“Just because you can multitask doesn’t mean you can talk in my classroom. Next time it will be a detention for you and Brent.” He said before going back to the front of the classroom. I turned around and glared at Brent. He had an apologetic smile on his face. I rolled my eyes and turned back to listen to the lesson.

After what felt like an eternity the bell finally rang. I grabbed my stuff and ran out the door. Just as I was out though someone grabbed my elbow making me stop.

“Leave me alone Brent.” I said through clenched teeth.

“Hazel just let me explain.” He begged.

“I don’t care what you have to say.”

“Please Hazel.”

“No! I don’t like you.” I pulled my elbow free and started walking again. He walked beside me.

“Hazel it was a stupid mistake. I really like you.”

“Oh really? Then why did you say that I cheated on you and you broke up with me?” I asked still walking away.

“I didn’t start that rumor. Misty did.”

“Whatever Brent. It doesn’t even matter. I don’t like you. I like Phoenix.”

“Hazel, I really like you.”

“No you don’t.”

“Yes I do Hazel. You’re different from all the other girls I dated.”

“Yea I didn’t sleep with you and let you break up with me.” I snorted.

“That’s not what I meant. It was a stupid mistake that I made. When you broke up with me I realized that I really did like you. I shouldn’t have lied.” He said. I stopped and turned to face him.

“Bullshit. I may be a freshman, but I’m not naïve. You probably say that to all the girls you date. Besides I have a boyfriend now. So please leave me alone!” I yelled.

“Fine. But I’m not giving up.” He said before walking away. I groaned and walked towards my lockers. Before I got to my lockers I saw Phoenix standing by it talking to a girl.

He rolled his eyes and looked behind the girl. When he saw me he smiled. I smiled back but it was quickly wiped off when the girl turned her head. It was Misty. She glared at me and turned back to face Phoenix. She put her hand on his arm sliding it up and down his arm. Phoenix rolled his eyes again and stepped back. He said something that I couldn’t hear. Before I knew what was happening, she started kissing him. Now I was mad. I glared at her and stomped over there. Just as I got there Phoenix pulled her off of him.

“LEAVE ME ALONE! WE ARE THROUGH!” Phoenix yelled frustrated.

“But babe-“ Misty started to say.

“No!” Phoenix yelled cutting her off. She started pouting and turned towards me.

“This is all your fault! He was mine and you stole him from me!” She yelled in my face. I punched her face and heard a crack.

“1: He is not property. 2: Don’t EVER kiss my boyfriend again!” I yelled. She was holding her nose.

“You broke my nose!” She yelled. She glared at me before running away.

“Stupid slutty bitch.” I mumbled. Phoenix wrapped an arm around me.

“You’re kind of hot when you’re jealous.” He whispered in my ear.

“I wasn’t jealous.” I lied.

“Sure you weren’t.” he smirked.

“Shut up. Like you wouldn’t do the same thing if you saw Brent kiss me.” I rolled my eyes.

“Nope.”

“What?” I asked confused.

“I would kill him.”