Status: Active

Stop Pretending. I Know You Really Love Me.

I. Hate. You.

My morning classes went by fast. All we were doing was going over first day material. We went over class room rules, seating charts, lab partners, all that fun stuff. (Note sarcasm.) It was all really boring.

Of course Phoenix just had to be in a couple of my classes. I had junior English and he was in that since he’s a junior. And we also had art together. And guess where He sat in both classes. Yup. Right next to me. I know he did it just to annoy me. But let me tell you, if he annoys me in art, all that paint is going on his head. Hmmm. That’s not a bad idea actually. It would make a great prank when he’s sleeping. I might just do that. Muahahaha! I am so evil.

The lunch bell rang and I ran out of the art room to get away from Phoenix. I put my stuff in my locker and got to the lunch room. I got my lunch and sat down beside Summer and Taylor.

“Today is sooo boring. I almost fell asleep in history.” Summer complained laying her head on Taylor’s shoulder.

“What do you expect? It’s the first day. First days are always boring. The only thing exciting that’s happened is that I found out someone likes my brother. And I think he likes her back.” I smiled.

“God I hope it’s not Crystal.” Taylor said making a face.

“I said he likes her back.” I slapped his head.

“Oww.” He complained rubbing his head.

“Is it that girl you were talking to this morning?” Summer asked.

“Yup. Her name’s Peyton. She’s in the same grade as Jay too. I caught him staring at her while I was talking to her.” Before anyone could say anything else Brent walked up to our table. Summer glared at him but he didn’t pay attention to her.

“Hey Hazel.” He smiled sitting down beside me.

“Hi Brent.” I smiled back.

“So I was wondering if you had any plans for this Friday.” He asked.

“Maybe. Why?” I asked smiling. He was going to ask me out. I just knew it.

“Well I was thinking we could go see a movie.” Before I could say anything Summer butted in.

“She can’t. We’re watching movies at her house. With Jay and Phoenix.” Summer said still glaring at him.

“That’s true. We watch movies every Friday night. But I’m sure no one would mind if I skipped out on this one.” I said glaring at Summer.

“I’m sure Phoenix would mind.”

“Yea if we actually liked each other. Which we don’t.”

“Oh yea? Why don’t you ask him then? Hey Phoenix!” Summer yelled across the lunchroom. Phoenix turned towards us and instantly glared at Brent. Summer motioned him over. He got up and walked over towards us.

“What?” He asked still glaring at Brent.

“Would you care if Hazel skipped movie night to go on a date with Brent?” Summer asked smiling innocently.

“Yes I would care.” He said.

“See I told- what?!” I yelled glaring at him.

“I said I would mind. And I’m sure Jay would too.” He glared back at me.

“Fine. I can’t go to the movies on Friday.” I sighed giving in. Phoenix and Summer wore victory smiles.

“But I can go Saturday.” I smirked at them. Their smiles dropped and they looked at me with wide eyes.

“Unless I have to do something then too?” I asked knowing there was nothing I had to do.

“Uh… well… we were going to uh… um…” Summer stumbled.

“That’s what I thought.” I glared at her.

“Saturday it is then.” Brent smiled at me.

“Saturday.” I agreed.

“I’ll pick you up around eight?”

“Sounds good.”

“Alright. Bye.” He got up and walked back to his table.

“I can’t believe you.” Phoenix said shaking his head.

“Can’t believe what? That I’m going on a date with Brent but not you?” I asked.

“Yes!” He yelled.

“Phoenix I hate you. I. Hate. You. And you hate me too. I will never go on a date with you. To me you are my brother’s best friend. Nothing else.” I glared at him.

“So it meant nothing to you?” He asked talking about the kiss.

“Of course it meant nothing to me! You were the one that kissed me!”

“You kissed back though!”

“I didn’t know what I was doing! And don’t pretend it meant something to you either! We both know that would be a lie!”

“You’re wrong Hazel. Totally and completely wrong.” He said before walking away. What’s that supposed to mean? I glared as he walked away.

“Wow girl. You got it bad.” Summer shook her head.

“Shut up. I don’t like him.” I glared at her.

“No. You don’t.” She said.

“Thank you.”

“You love him.” I glared at her. It was quiet for a while until Taylor spoke up.

“So you guys did kiss?” He asked.

“I knew it!” Summer yelled.

“Fuck off. Both of you.” I glared at them before getting up and walking out of the lunchroom. I walked to the bathroom. When I was done I washed my hands. I was about to go out until I heard Misty’s voice. Not wanting to face her I hid in a bathroom stall.

“Can you believe it? Why would he choose her over me? We’ve been going out for a month and he just threw it away.” Misty was saying. I figured she was probably talking about Phoenix.

“Did he actually say that’s what happened? I mean Hazel is a slut. She could have been lying so you would break up with him and she could go after him.” I heard Crystal say. They were talking about what happened at the mall. I’m the slut? She’s the one all over my brother even though he’s told her a million times he doesn’t like her.

“Well after we broke up I figured that might be the case. I really didn’t give him a chance to explain. So I called him and asked what happened.” Her voice started to break and I knew she was crying.

“H-he said that he was planning on breaking up with me anyways. Then he said that him and Hazel were arguing in the car because he still had his arms around her. And then he said that something happened and saw how ‘beautiful’ she really was. He was going to kiss her but she stopped him. She hated him and didn’t want to kiss him. And he told me that he regretted ever being mean to that stupid bitch. And right before he hung up he said ‘I’ll do whatever it takes to get her to like me.’” She was sobbing by now.

“I’m sorry honey. I’ll talk to Jay. Maybe he can try to talk some sense into him. He does love me after all. I can get him to do whatever I want.” Crystal said. I rolled my eyes. He doesn’t even like her let alone love her.

“Thanks Crystal. The bells about to ring. We better go.” Misty said. I heard their heels clicking against the floor and then the door opening and closing.

I stepped out of the stall now that the close was clear. Did he really say that? He really liked me? No. He doesn’t like me. He was just making up an excuse so he wouldn’t have to go back out with her. I can’t let him get in my head. I’m not going to get hurt by him.

I walked out of the bathroom and to my locker. I got my books and walked to my next class, Science. When I got to the classroom only one other person was there. She was reading a book. I smiled and sat next to her.

“Hi Peyton.” I said. She looked up from her book.

“Oh hi Hazel.” She said in her quiet voice.

“Why aren’t you still at lunch?” I asked. Yes I was being nosy. Sue me.

“I already finished eating.”

“You don’t talk to your friends after you’re done eating?” She looked down shyly.

“I don’t really have any friends.” She whispered.

“Really?” I asked surprised. She was so nice. Why wouldn’t she have any friends?

“No.” She shook her head.

“Hmmmm. Hey! You should sit with me and my friends at lunch tomorrow!” I said smiling at her.

“Oh that’s ok. I like to get to class early anyways.” I could tell she was lying.

“Come on Peyton. It’ll be cool.” She sit bit her lip nervously.

“Are you sure?”

“Yea! You’ll love my friends. They’ll love you too.”

“Ok. Sure.” She said after a while.

“Great.” The bell rang and kids started walking in.