Status: Updates come every chance I get.

And I'll Sculpt My Life For Your Acceptance

Across The Universe

I knocked anxiously on the wooden door waiting for my blonde best friend to open it so that I could tell her my news. I knew that she wouldn’t be too impressed with what I had to tell her, actually, I am pretty sure that she will want to kill me when she hears what I have to tell her. That is why I am so anxious.

I could hear footsteps approaching the door; I took a deep breath and nervously twirled the silver ring on my thumb as I waited for the door to open. Once it did there was no turning back.

It swung back to reveal my smiling best friend. “Kar! When did you get back?” I’d been on holidays in New York City for a week visiting my grandparents.

“About half an hour ago.” I told her, my voice was serious and her wide smile fell from her face. “I need to tell you something, the faster I tell you and the better it will be. I hope.” I rushed out.

“Karmony,” her voice was full of warning, “what is it?”

I looked past her and into the seemingly empty house. “Inside?” She nodded and stood aside so that I could walk past her and into the air-conditioned house. I walked towards her bedroom on the second floor, she followed closely behind; I could practically feel the anxiety rolling off of her. “Okay, this is going to be like a taking off a band-aid; quick and pain fre-”

She cut me off, “Cut the crap and just tell me, Kar.”

“Okay, well, I’m moving.” I scrunched my eyes shut to keep from seeing her reaction. After a few seconds of not hearing anything, I opened one eye slightly to see her blank expression. “Edie? Say something, please.” I begged; both my eyes opening wide.

“You can not be serious!” She snapped, her bright blue eyes flooding with tears. “Say you’re just kidding.”

I shifted nervously on the bed, twirling my ring again. I had promised myself that I would not cry and I knew that I would if I had to sit here and watch her bawl her eyes out. “Please, Ed, don’t cry.” I begged again looking down at my lap, I heard her let out one last soft sob before she sniffed and the bed shifted, indicating that she had stood. I slowly lifted my head to see a small smile on her face; I could tell that it was fake, because it didn’t reach her eyes. “I wish I could tell you that I am just kidding but I can’t, I can not lie to you. I need to leave this place, you of all people should understand.”

“I do understand you needing to leave. I just don’t want you too.” She said, honestly. “What does your dad think? Wouldn’t he want you to stay?” she asked, thinking that there was a weak spot in my plan. My face hardened at the thought of how easy it had been to tell my dad, I thought for sure that he would have gone to great measures to keep me here but it was the complete opposite; he was acting I honestly felt as though I wanted him to put up a fight so I had a reason to stay but he agreed that New Jersey wasn’t the best place for me anymore.

“He …understands.” I said, hesitantly. I could tell by the look on her face that she thought I was lying. “I’m not lying either. He said, and I quote, ‘I actually want you to get out of here before it’s too late’.” She nodded but still eyed me suspiciously.

“So, where are you moving? DO you have a place yet? When are you leaving?” she fired a million questions at me all at once.

I laughed at her, it was starting to feel less tense and she was finally accepting my decision. “California. No, dad is looking for an apartment right now and as soon as I find a place I’m out of here!” I said enthusiastically.

“You’re moving to L.A.?!” She screamed, excitedly.

I had no idea where she got that idea from; I would rather live in a gutter than in that hell hole. “No… Berkeley.” I told her slowly. Her once excited facial expression turned blank.

Where?” She asked.

I began explaining to her where it is but I soon realized I had little idea where it actually was I gave up and told her to look it up, if she really wanted to know where it is. She said that she would just look it up another time and that she wanted to spend as much time with me as possible before I left her for good.

I told her to call in sick to work and come back to my house and stay with me for the night so that we could have a movie night like we used to before she started working nights. She agreed and had me call in for her.

We made it to my place at around 7. It was only us and Cameron home because my dad had been gone out on a date with some girl who would no doubt be about 10 years older than me. We ordered pizza and ate that while watching some crappy horror movie that Cam had told us to watch because apparently it was ‘beyond amazing’, Edie and I ended up talking through it and making lame jokes about the murderer and his victims.

I was still up watching the end of one of the movies when my father finally came home at about 3:30. “Hey Kar.” He said, smiling at us from the door to the living room. “Did you get my note about the apartment?”

I turned around from my spot on the couch, rubbing my eyes and yawning. “No… where was it?” I asked.

“In my office, of course you wouldn’t have seen it.” He said, realizing that he didn’t put it out where I would see it. “Anyway, I found you the perfect place, I called them and they are going to email me some pictures tomorrow morning for you to have a look at.” He explained, he had a small smile on his face.

“Really? That’s awesome! I can’t wait to see it.” I was no longer tired. “Anyway, how was the date?” I could tell by the way his facial expression changed that it didn’t go too well.

“Not good, she bailed after the first hour so I ended up meeting up with the boys from the office and we went to the bar.” He explained.

“Did you repulse her that much?” I asked laughing.

“No, it wasn’t me; her husband called her.” He said, his face screwing up to show his anger. “It doesn’t look like I’m ever going to find anyone again.”

I felt bad for my father, he was kind and worked hard but knew when to have fun, he wasn’t too old ether ; he was in his early 40’s, yet he could not catch the right girl. My mother had left him without even a goodbye or a proper note; she just said that she was gone and not coming back so he should move on.It was pathetic, she was pathetic and I honestly hated that woman.

“I’m sorry dad.” I said truthfully. “You deserve so much better than what the women around here have to offer.”

“Maybe I should move with you then!” he joked. I laughed loudly, forgetting about the sleeping girl beside me. Edie stirred and let out a soft yawn before her eyes opened.

“Shut up, I’m trying to sleep.” She mumbled, only seeing me.

“Well I’ll let you two sleep and Kar, I’ll show you the pictures in the morning.” Dad said, before retiring to bed upstairs.

Upon hearing my father’s voice, Edie’s eyes shot open and her face was taken over by a guilty expression. “Opps.” She squeaked out before laughing with me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title credit: Across The Universe - The Beatles.

New story. I hope you like it.
Billie and the boys will be in it soon.