It's Complicated

No, Pervert

Ronnie left that evening, having no idea what I was going to do. Paine was getting up from his lying position on the couch, about ready to leave too. I wasn’t going to let him though. I had to ask, had to find out.

Walking into the living room I take a seat next to Paine. He looks at me from the corner of his eye. “Is something wrong?”

“Can I see your back?” I ask, hoping that he’d just agree, show me his back and let me see that there was absolutely nothing there and I was just hallucinating from the chlorine in the pool water or something. Sadly, that isn’t what I got.

Paine tensed almost immediately, but quickly relaxed while answering, “No, pervert.”

He was grinning like it was some type of joke, but it wasn’t. I frowned, because I knew that something was up. I mean if nothing was wrong he would have showed me immediately right?

“Who hurt you, Paine? I could see the bruises through your shirt today.”

Paine seemed shocked as he spoke, “It’d be best if you forgot about it, Noah.”

“I can’t. Someone hurt you, how can I just forget about it?” I hiss. Paine is very close and important to me. Asking me to forget about it is like asking me to kill a puppy. In other words, it isn’t going to happen.

Sighing, Paine stands up, running his fingers through his hair he says, “Really, it isn’t as bad as you’d think. I can handle it, all right?”

“But-”

Arguing with Paine is like arguing with a pot. Useless.

“I better get home it’s getting late.”

“Paine-”

“I’ll see you later.”

I reached up fast, grabbing a hold of the fabric of his shirt. Paine stopped, looking down at me he frowns. “Let go Noah.”

“Not until you tell me.” I was determined to find this out. There were a lot of possibilities and the one that came to mind was his parents. I was hoping it wasn’t the case.

Seconds, minutes, and possibly hours went by. I don’t know, I wasn’t exactly watching the clock. Eventually though Paine sighed and sat down next to me. Silence followed afterwards, but in good time Paine finally started to talk.

“Dad gets drunk and if I’m home he sometimes hits me. It isn’t something that happens often…just on some occasions.”

“So! It shouldn’t happen ever.” I shout, slightly pissed at Paine for never telling me, but mad at me too for not finding out sooner. Aren’t we supposed to be friends? Shouldn’t I be able to tell if something is wrong with my friend? Shouldn’t my friend be able to tell me if something is wrong?

“Well it does. Don’t get worked up over it, it’s nothing really,” Paine sighs as if this conversation was tiring him.

Frowning, I can’t help but feel bad. I didn’t want Paine to get hurt. Just thinking about it made my chest hurt. “If…if he tries to hit you Paine, please just leave and come here. I don’t want you getting hurt.”

I kept my eyes on the floor because I was too embarrassed to look at him. I could feel his eyes on me as he started to laugh, “You’re such a girl.”

“Fuck you!” I scream. “I’m just being a good friend!”

Paine reached over, his arm wrapping around my shoulders. I felt heat in my cheeks as I found myself nose to nose with a grinning Paine. “I know, but doesn’t make you any less of a girl.”

Scowling, I push him away. “I’m not a girl. I’m just in touch with my feminine side.”

Paine scoffed. “Whatever.”

He stood up then, stretching his arms and yawning. He took one last look at me before saying good-bye and walking out the front door.

Even if Paine told me not to worry about it, I couldn’t help but think of it all night. I lied on my bed, staring up at the ceiling and chewing on my bottom lip like bubble gum. I was surprised it hadn’t fallen off yet.

For hours on end I rolled in my bed trying to sleep, trying to get Paine off my mind, but I was failing horribly.

It’s funny really…how one day all I could think about was Ronnie and now the only thing going through my mind is Paine. Paine. Paine. Paine. Paine!

Somebody shoot me. I think I’m going mad.
♠ ♠ ♠
My day was absolute shit
I cried in school my dad had to come get me
Thankfully I had this pre-written and thought I had a bad day but doesn't mean my readers should
So I updated, hope you enjoyed it
I think you'll all like the next chapter

Comment&Subscribe?