Your Song

Preparing For Night of Champions

Xx-zarah-xX

“COME ON ZARAH!” Matt yelled from ringside.

We were at the tapping of SmackDown the Friday before Night of Champions. I was in the middle of a match against Beth Phoenix for my Women’s Champion title. Beth just pulled her Glam Slam on me and now had me pinned. The ref started counting and I managed to kick out at two.

Beth rolled off me and we both quickly got to our feet. She ran at me and I pulled an Irish Whip on her, sending her into one of the corners of the ring. She hit the turnbuckles and staggered back a few steps. She whirled around and tried to punch me but a quick leg sweep sent her falling to the ground.

I took my chance and quickly climbed to the top turnbuckle. I pulled my version of a Senton Bomb and pinned her for the full three-count.

My music started playing as I rolled off her. Matt climbed in the ring as the ref raised my hand in the air. When he dropped it, Matt caught me up in a tight bear hug.

“I love you.” he said.

“I love you too.” I said hugging him back.

In case you were wondering, we made up. It took Jeff, Shane, and Shannon, but they were able to convince Matt that he was overreacting and that there was nothing going on between Adam and me.

My music died down and was replaced with Michelle McCool’s. I put on my best surprised/annoyed face and turned to face her and Layla as they made their way to the ring.

“Aw, what’s wrong Zarah?” Layla asked. “Aren’t you happy to see us? Michelle and I just came out here to tell you congratulations on keeping the title this long. We really didn’t think you could do it.”

I glared at her and tightened my fists. I took a step towards them and Matt quickly wrapped his arms around my middle to keep me from attacking them.

“We also came out here to tell you to enjoy your title reign while it lasts.” Michelle said. “Cause at Night of Champions this Sunday, I’m invoking my rematch clause and getting my title back.

“Your title?” I said trying to get out of Matt’s arms. “Your title?”

“Did I stutter?”

“No.” I said. “I’m just curious as to why you think it’s yours when you tapped out at SummerSlam. I mean, in my opinion, a wimp who taps out doesn’t deserve the title.”

I knew I had touched a nerve with that. Michelle and Layla started towards me, both looking like they were ready to kill. Matt finally let go of me and stepped in front of me, blocking their path. I tried to get past him, but he held out his arm and forced me back behind him.

“Watch your back Havens.” Michelle said before her and Layla headed out of the ring.

Matt and I waited till the commercial break before following them.

Once we were backstage and Matt had run off to get ready for his match, I finally broke down. I started freaking out big time. There was no way in hell that I was going to be able to beat Michelle again at Night of Champions.

I was so busy having a mental break down that I didn’t even notice someone was talking to me.

“What?” I asked looking up into the face of Adam Copeland.

“I asked if you were okay.” Adam said smiling. “You look like you’re ready to lose it.”

“I already lost it.” I sighed.

“Is this about your match at Night of Champions?” he asked leading me over to a pile of crates.

I nodded and tried to hop up on one of the crates. I failed and Adam picked me up and gently placed me on top of it.

“Thanks.” I said.

“No problem.” he said. “And aren’t you supposed to retain your title anyway?”

I nodded again. “Yeah, but Michelle isn’t happy about losing her title back at SummerSlam. She and Layla have been doing their best to make my life hell. I really don’t think I’ll make it out alive on Sunday.”

“I’m sure you’ll do fine.” Adam said rubbing my back in a comforting way.

“Thanks.” I said smiling at him.

I heard someone clear their throat and looked up to see Matt heading our way. I quickly jumped down from the crate and met him halfway.

“Our match is going to start soon.” he said looking past me at Adam.

I grabbed his hand and had to practically pull him to the entrance place.

Tonight Jeff and Matt had a warm up match for Sunday against the Dudebusters - Dudebusters? Really? We met Jeff at the curtains and Trent and Caylen joined us a few minutes later. Just as Trent and Caylen’s music started, The Miz and Chris Jericho showed up. They would be at ringside with the commentators for the match.

I watched Trent and Caylen make their way out to the ring and giggled. They always cracked me up.

They made it to the ring and their music died down. Loaded by Zack Tempest started playing and the arena was filled with cheering as Team Xtreme headed out to the ring.

As always, I was a few steps behind Matt and Jeff. I stopped on my way down the ramp and went over to a little boy who leaning so far over the retaining wall that I was afraid he was going to fall. He was holding a sign that had a hand-drawn picture of me with a sparkly red heart around it.

“Did you draw that?” I asked the little boy.

He nodded and I hugged him, telling him good job, before continuing down to the ring.

“Watch out Matt,” Jeff said after I finally joined them in the ring. “Looks like that boy’s gonna give you a bit of competition.”

I rolled my eyes and dragged Jeff into our corner as the bell sounded. Matt and Caylen were starting off the match.

Towards the end of the match Jeff and Trent were in the ring. Matt was standing on the edge of the ring, ready to be tagged in, and I was on the actual ground next to him.

“COME ON JEFF!” I yelled pounding on the floor of the ring as Jeff pulled a Swanton Bomb on Trent.

“Excuse me for one moment.” I heard Miz say from the commentary table.

I turned to face him as he came towards me. He started hitting on me with Matt right next to me. This was all scripted, but I could tell Matt was really getting pissed about it.

When Miz finally suggested we go on a date, Matt snapped. He jumped down from the ring and punched Miz in the mouth.

“Stay the hell away from my girlfriend!” Matt yelled.

“Hey man, I can’t help it that she likes me more than you.” The Miz said in his cockiest voice.

Matt went to punch him again, but he ducked and ran away. Matt chased him up the ramp and backstage. I stood there for a moment, feigning shock, and then turned to see what was going on in the match.

Jeff was losing. He needed to tag someone in or we would lose the match. Matt wasn't supposed to go after Mike, but he was really pissed off and probably wasn't even thinking. I felt sorry for Mike...

I watched Caylen whip Jeff into the ropes and pull a clothesline on him when he came back. Team Xtreme was supposed to win this match, but I didn't think Jeff could do it with how exhausted he really was.

A few seconds later, Caylen pinned Jeff for the full three count. Their music started playing throughout the arena as the ref held up Trent and Caylen’s hands.

“Way to go Matt.” I heard Jeff say.

I climbed into the ring and helped him up. I helped Jeff walk as we headed out of the ring and backstage – Jeff had really hurt his ankle.

“I’ll be fine from here.” he said when we reached the guys’ locker room.

“Are you sure?” I asked.

“Yeah.” he said. “Let me change and we can go find Matt... and I can beat him up for leaving me in the ring.”

I waited until the door to the locker room shut was shut completely before majorly freaking out... again.

I was worried – really worried. That thing with Mike and Matt during the match made me think about what Matt would do to Adam if he ever pulled something like that. [It wasn’t hard to see that Adam had feelings for me.] I know it was all scripted, but it still made Matt really angry.

I suddenly remembered the promise I made myself a few weeks ago and felt even worse. I was supposed to not even be talking to Adam.

“What am I going to do?” I groaned.