Status: Running Very Slowly

Testing the Water

Seventeen.

I ran up the stairs, “Losers!” My voice yelled.

I heard a few sets of feet behind me, pounding up the stairs as well.

Once I reached the top, I looked in all directions, finding the closest room. I darted into my room and slammed the door closed, letting a few stray laughs escape from my lips. I leaned up against the door, knowing what was to come.

“Open up the fucking door,” I heard a voice scream. I laughed as a body pounded on the door. “You...you...you brat.”

I slowly turned the door knob, making it almost unnoticeable, and then.

BAM.

Two large bodies came flying down, hitting my bedroom floor. I fell to the floor as well, due to my laughing, unlike the other two.

“I love you,” I sounded sincere aside from the giggles that escaped my lips after.

The boys in front of me did not looked pleased. “You jerk.” The one to my left spoke.

He took off one of his wet socks, -a result of my prank, involving a grass sprinkler and clothes- and threw it at me.

“Jared, you idiot!” The boy beside him did the same, “Ew Marc!”

Yes, I was in the Staal household. The past few months, from Britt/Kris’ party up until now –nearly July!- was fairly uneventful. The boys made the playoffs, but got kicked out in the second round. Saying goodbye to the boys –and Britt,- was hard. But knowing I’d see them in only a few weeks from now was nice. Brittany’s and Kris’ wedding was to be held on July 13.

“You deserved it!” The two of them yelled in unison.
I rolled my eyes, “Whatever helps you sleep at night boys; your revenge never makes up for my pranks.” I stood up, “Oh, and don’t forget to wipe up the water you left all over the house, specifically my room.” I sent them a wink before making my way out of my room and back down the stairs, leaving the two boys grunting their responses.

I reached the main floor and went over into the living room.

“What did you do this time?” Jordan laughed from his spot on the couch.
“Asked them to get “something”,” Insert the air quotes, “That I left outside. And I turned the sprinklers on.” I laughed as Jordan cracked up as well.

I sat down beside him, then turned my attention to the show Jordan had on the TV. Sportsnet. Big surprise there.

The two of us watched the daily sports highlights, until we got interrupted by two people making their way down the stairs. Marc and Jared; now dried off, sent glares my way before sitting down on the two chairs in the room. The four of us turned our attention [back] to the television. Just as we got into the show –which was now ORT,- another interruption came. Our parents walked through the front door holding onto several bags of groceries.

“Kids,” Our dad’s voice rang out from his spot –now in the kitchen. “Can you come help?”
The four of us let out groans before mumbling, ‘yes’ and making our way into the kitchen.

Our mother took to instructing us once we got into the room, “Marc, can you unpack the groceries? Jord, see if your father needs help barbecuing. Nicki and Jare, can you set up outside?”

Yes, we were having a BBQ tonight. A few of the families around here were invited, kinda of like a catch-up-start-of-the-summer thing.

Jared and I walked outside, as everyone else got to work. The two of us walked over to the large shed which held a lot of our yard stuff, including chairs we needed to set up.

“So what ever happened to Anna?” I asked.
Jared sent me a small smile, “We’re actually a couple now; she’s coming here to visit in a week.”
“Aww, Jare. My baby brother is growing up!” I joked, giving him a big hug.
“Shut up, you’re the little one here.” He spoke poking my arm.

I just laughed as he opened up the shed and we grabbed some chairs.

*

By six o’clock the BBQ was in full swing. Several families from our neighbourhood were over, as well as some childhood friends. I was walking around, getting caught by a few people here and there who wanted to chat a bit. I got a few “Wow, you’ve grown” comments, which I smiled and agreed to, even though I know I haven’t grown in a good two years. And some ‘Congratz’ on graduating high school –which I did in Pittsburgh, the ceremony was to be held during September.

As I walked past the deck, for what must have been a tenth time, someone caught my eye. I did a double take, seeing that it was indeed the person I suspected. And as soon as I noticed her, she noticed me.

My best friend.

Not.

It’s kind of like that thing you read in story books. The normal girl –me. And the bitch at school, who lives to make the nice normal girl’s life a living Hell. Ashley McNaughton was that girl. I honestly have no idea what I ever did to her; but she hated my guts. She was that girl who pulled your hair when you were in Pre-K, and the one who spread rumours that you slept with the random guy from band when you were a Soph.

As soon as she noticed me she walked over to me. “Nicole Staal,” She sneered, “Haven’t seen you in a while.”
“And a nice while it’s been.” I let out a small laugh.
Her eyes rolled, “So where’d you hide off to then?”
“Pittsbugh,” I nodded, “And it’s pretty nice. Big city, no you...” I faded off.

Her eyes were widened, yet still glaring. How she did that, I had no idea. It looked like she was just about to slap me, when Jordan happened to walk by.

Suddenly she spun around, “Jordy,” Her voice screeched, “I haven’t seen you in ages!”

I cringed at the sight, poor Jordan. I knew he’d be able to shrug her off pretty quick though, so I left the area and continued my rounds in the backyard.

After what must have been another five laps, I saw something else that caught my eye. A good thing this time.

“Holy shit!” I yelled. Bringing a few people to stare at me. I ran across the lawn, engulfing two bodies into a hug. “Eric! Tayna!”
The two laughed, and Eric spoke, “Hey Nicki, nice seeing ya again.”
“Same to you. But it would’a been nice if you guys were here when Jordan and I got into town, but instead you take off on some vacation.” I joked.
Now it was Tayna’s time to speak, “Well we’re back now.”
“Good!” I confirmed. “I need some girl time!”

Eric rolled his eyes, as the two of us laughed, already making plans.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh wow guys, it's been awhile!
I know I skipped a lot here, but it should all work out.

Tell me what you're thinking, and comment, :)