Sequel: Green Porcupine

Bus Stop

Dance, Dance

Sitting on the school bus on the way to the regional dance and gymnastics competition I look over at Jill who's talking about her date with Mike which took place the night before. Jill volunteered to film the competition as an excuse to come along and miss school. Meanwhile the entire pep squad is chattering away about how their hair is absolutely perfect in every way.
"Thanks for coming with me." I say, "without a fellow 'freak' I would go insane and literally strangle every prosthetic on the bus."
"Yeah, no problem, I know you'd get disqualified for killing the competition."

We get to the school where the competition's being held and we get sent to an empty classroom until it's time for the competition. I get changed into my "show clothes" as Ms. Raymond likes to call them. My "show clothes" consists of a black tank-top and a pair of black shorts that go down a little lower than my knees which I "borrowed" from Tre. I snatched the shorts last night before I left his apartment.
"Ladies, ladies, before you go out and compete in this competition, I would like to tell you to do your best and win gracefully, lose gracefully. . . ." Ms. Raymond went on with this speech for another five minutes before she lead us down to the gymnasium where the competition was being held.

We sit on a bench on the side of the gym and look at the spectators. Jill starts poking me frantically.
"What?!" I say a little peeved.
"It's them! Look right over there!"
"Who?" I say looking around.
"Mike and Tre! Oh look, Billie's here too." I look over at one corner of the gym to see Tre jumping around trying to locate where I am, Mike is trying to point us out to Tre and Billie is sitting on the bench looking bored out of his mind. Tre finally sees us and he waves over-ecstatically, I wave back still surprised that they came.

First competition is group dance routines, representing our school was Lauren, Veronica, Debbie and two other prosthetics named Ashley and Maureen. Next up were the solos, first was a girl I knew who was a border-line freak named Gabrielle who danced to some classical music. Now it was my turn, I heard the announcer's voice belt through the speakers.
"Also from Pinole Valley High School, we have Bianca Sylva dancing to 'Eleanor Rigby' by the Beatles." I walk up to the designated dance area, I hear the music start and I begin to dance, I don't feel nervous at all, I just continue to let the movement flow. As the song comes to an end I walk off and sit on the bench with Jill who's already commenced in filming the next participant.
"That was awesome!" she whispers so her voice won't pick up on the camera.
"Thanks"
The last few dancers perform, and then the judges announce that there will be an intermission before the gymnastics segment of the competition. Jill and I head over to talk to the guys.
"That was amazing!" Tre yells as he wraps his arms around me in a tight embrace. I look over at Jill who's got Mike in her own embrace.
"I didn't know you guys were coming." I say still hugging Tre.
"Yeah, Tre dragged all of us here." Billie says as he stands up from where he's been sitting this whole time.
"Hey, Mike wanted to come too." Tre says in his own defense.
"Yeah to see Jill, not the competition" Billie says bitterly.
"Well, I don't care much for the competition either; I just like watching Bianca dance." Tre says smirking evilly, "Hey are those my shorts?"
"Maybe" I say slyly.
"I was looking for those this morning."
"But their so comfortable to dance in."
"I hope you realize I go commando in those." Tre says smirking again.
"Oh so that's why their comfortable, their broken in." I say smiling, proud that I'm not giving Tre the reaction he wants.
"They look good on you" he says looking me over once more.

"So can we leave now?" Billie drones.
"You guys can, but we have to stick around for the results and stuff." Jill says looking away from Mike for the first time since the start of the intermission.
"But I wanna stay with Bianca!" Tre whines.
"Fine we'll drive back and you can take the bus with the girls." Billie says eager to leave.
"I will." Tre say as he goes back to hugging me.
"I think I'll stay too" Mike says to Billie as he snuggles up to Jill.
"Fine then, give me the keys to the truck." Billie leaves just as the judges announce the end of the intermission. Mike and Tre come sit with us at the competitors' bench. The entire pep squad takes part in the gymnastics portion of the competition. Compared to the other schools they sucked monkey-rear, then again I'm not one to judge due to the fact I was paying more attention to Tre.

Finally it was time for the results and awards. We all have to stand with our schools. Pinole Valley High School didn't get any awards for the group routines (because they sucked!). I listen to the announcer with great interest as he announces the awards for solo dance.
"In fifth place we have Amanda Carson, in forth place we have Gabrielle Swards . . . ." one after the other the girls went up to claim their prize, "And in first place we have Bianca Sylva." Shocked out of my wits I look over at Tre, Jill, and Mike who are sitting on the competitors' bench to make sure I'm not dreaming. Jill waves to me signaling to go up and claim my prize.

"So what did you win?" Tre asks tilting his head in a humorous fashion, when you're sitting on the bus on the way back to school.
"Umm this dorky trophy, a chance to take part in the state competition and $300." I say modestly.
"You know what that means, right?" Tre asks slyly.
"What, that I can save the money so I can go visit you when you go on tour next month." I say smiling at him.
"No, we need to celebrate."
"You'll use any excuse to celebrate" Mike says from the seat in front of us.
"SO?!" Tre says abruptly, "You're actually planning on spending the money to see me on tour?"
"Well, yeah. You can't expect me to spend the entire summer without you, can you?" Tre says nothing; he just wraps his arms around me and kisses me.

We spend the evening trying to get into bars but fail, so we all head back to their apartment where we find Billie sitting on the couch with his guitar.
"So did you win?" he asks looking up from a piece of paper he was scribbling on.
"First place." I say proudly.
"Congratulations." he says standing up and gives me a hug, "hey those look like Tre's shorts." I look down and realize I never changed back into my regular clothes.
"They are Tre's shorts. I sort of borrowed them." I say laughing.
"She likes being in my pants." Tre says smirking in a perverted way.
"Yes indeed." I say turning around to kiss his beautiful face.
"Time for the celebration." Mike says heading to the fridge retrieving a few beers. Tre heads to a little brown box and pulls out a joint. We indulge in passing around the joint and drinking beer.
"I'm going to go now." Jill says standing up and heading for the door later that evening.
"I'm going to stay a while longer." I say still way too comfortable in Tre's arms to even think about leaving.
"I'll drive you home." Mike says grabbing the keys to his truck and heading out the door with Jill.

The three of us (Tre, Billie and myself) decide to watch some movie on television. The movie ends and I realize that Mike still hasn't returned from Jill's, I think to myself I have to remember to bug Jill about it tomorrow.

"Alright love birds," Billie says looking at Tre and I all snuggled together, "I'm going to bed."
"I'm pretty tired myself" I say yawning, "Do you mind if I sleep here tonight?"
"Do whatcha want." Billie yells from the washroom.
"I insist on it" Tre says smiling evilly.
"Pervert!" I say punching him playfully.
"Hey I'll sleep on the couch, if you're going to be like that." Tre says pretending to be hurt.
"I seriously doubt that" I say walking into Tre's room. I slip under the covers of Tre's bed and moments later I feel his arms wrap around me as we fall asleep. I wake up in the middle of the night to the sound of Mike walking into the apartment.
"He came back awfully late." Tre says chuckling into my ear.
"Hmm, I wonder what happened?" I say sarcastically, "Car trouble?"
"No, no, he would've called" Tre says in a very parental way then yells. "Hey Mikey! Where have you been?"
"Flying around protecting the world from evil!" he yells back. Tre and I laugh at his response then fall back asleep.