Dearly Beloved

out the window

Out the window
"MISS! MISS!" Tre screamed across the emergency room, with me in tow. He was heading toward the counter.
"Tre, for god's shake, this a hospital!" I yelled trying to shut him up. Tre never the less flew right to the counter. There was a familiar nurse there.
"Oh, you boys, again? And a head injury, again! You like to keep it interesting don't you?" she scolded. Unfortunately ever time we came to the hospital, this nurse was always here. For the past 15 years she's seen us come in here with the impossible. But with Tre Cool, nothing is impossible.
"Please miss! Mike is going to bleed to death!" Tre nagged insistently. Which was true, there was blood down my face and dripping on to my shoulder and on my shirt. It looked like I murdered someone.
"Alright, alright, I'll get the doctor." She went behind the counter and disappeared through a door.
"Thank you!" Tre yelled as she disappeared like a little kid. He was leaning his body on the counter held by his elbows and was hanging of the edge.

We had to wait for 40 minutes until we could see the doctor. As I lay on a cot, with the doctor stitching my head back together again, Tre watched intently.
"Um, by the way, doctor, what's the bill?" I asked him.
"Well, I'll just mail it to you or you can pay it now."
"How much?" Tre suddenly asked.
"15."
"A hundred? That's it?" I asked surprised.
"Thousand."
"WHAT?!" I practically jumped off the cot.
"Well, besides the stitches, there was also the vandalizing of medical equipment." I flashed a glare at Tre, who earlier had nearly cannonballed a wheel chair into some vending machines as well, as nearly trash the doctor's lounge and made unexpected stop at the blood lab.
"What?" Tre asked innocently as I glared at him.
"How much you got in wallet?"
"Hey, I'm not paying your bill!" he protested.
"Yeah, you're right, you're paying your bill!" I yelled at him.
"But Mikey... ."
"No, if's, and's or but's Tre! I've had it!"

As we came up to the counter, Tre paid most of the bill with all the cash he had in his wallet and I paid for my stitches with my credit card. As Tre reluctantly handed over a thousand dollars to the nurse, he pouted at me like a little kid.
"How come Billie doesn't have to give up any mola?" he asked me bitterly. That's when it hit me.
"Shit! I forgot all about him!" I said a little too loud. That's when I remembered how I got stitches in my head. Then I remembered why.
"Tre were leaving!" I grabbed his arm and yanked him away towards the door.
"What about the money?" Tre asked winy.
"Forget the money! We have to go!"
I dashed out of the hospital, practically leaving him behind, back to the car. I hit the gas and went reverse full throttle. As the tires screeched to a stop right in front of the emergency room, Billie went flying against the front seats. Tre quickly hopped in the car and I sped off like a thousand billion screaming fans were on loose after us.

Being panic stricken, I was driving like a drunken stoned Tre. I didn't stop for anything; I just kept my foot on the gas petal the whole time. If anything got in my way, I dodged it, cutting through yards, parks, streets, parking lots, play grounds, bus stations, and god knows what. I nearly ran over some people coming out of the movies too. Tre had his arms in the air and screaming, enjoying the ride like a roller coaster. I ran though a crowded intersection and as I tried to dodge some on coming cars I ended up doing a 360 spin on 2 wheels and sped up the wrong street. By that point I must have had like 6 police cars hot on my trail. Tre was having a blast and I was surprised Billie was missing all this; he was like a dead body rolling back and forth in the backseat.

The chase held up for about 15 minutes until I finally found a highway, I had about 10 police cars speeding after me and I could hear a helicopter overhead. Tre looked behind us.
"Isn't this awesome or what! I can't believe Billie's missing this!" I was still in shock; going 95 I didn't know what to do. Then suddenly up a head I saw a supermarket. Suddenly a plan came to mind. It was so crazy it just might work. I was possessed for a second and thought, what do I have to lose? A lot... Fuck with it, just do it!
"Tre." I said seriously.
"Yeah."
"Have you ever been in a car crash?"
"Uh, let me think... ."
"Look I don't have time, I know this is crazy but it's the only way out!" I said impatiently trying to stay calm.
"What's your plan?" I gulped.
"I'm going to ram the car into the building."
"What building?"
"That building!" I gestured to the Publix up a head. Tre looked and his eyes widened.
"Are you fucking nuts?!" he yelled at me.
"Look, we could do this all night until they catch us, or until the car runs out of gas, which will be soon if continue this pace or we could crash this baby unexpected and make a run for it!" I yelled impatiently and rather quickly.
"Ok, ok." Tre sat up right and buckled his seat belt and gave a deep sigh as he braced himself.
"Let's do this."
I nodded. I was nervous, who knew how this would turn out. I gave a quick glance behind me to see the fleet of police cars not far behind, but rather in regular highway distance. The Publix was speeding closer every second. I gripped the steering wheel.
"Okay, on the count of three... " I took a shaky breath, "One, two... three!"

I turned the steering wheel as hard as I could, making a sharp turn, the tires burning rubber, a deafening screech, as we flew off the paved highway, and what felt like slow motion as we hurled across the grass and I closed my eyes as I saw the building approaching to swallow us like a monster. The last flash that ran through my head just before we catapulted through the Publix was a pair of soft blue eyes.