‹ Prequel: Bus Stop
Sequel: So Close Yet So Far

Green Porcupine

Chapter 17

"Tre are you ready to go?" I asked as he walks out of the bedroom with his suitcase in his hand.
"Yeah, wait no!" he yelps running to the washroom. I open the door to my apartment and lug one of my suitcases into the hall.
"Bianca!" Amy calls out to me from across the hall with one of her friends.
"Hi, Amy." I say waving.
"Can I borrow a couple of CDs?" she asks pleadingly.
"Sure, just be quick." I say letting her into the apartment and she makes her selection.
"When do you want them back?"
"I'm only getting back in January, so give them back then." I say as I look over the CDs she chose. Tre walks out of the washroom holding his toothbrush in the air.
"My lucky toothbrush." He announces proudly.
"I-is that Tre Cool?" Amy's friend manages to stutter.
"The one and only." He says raising his eyebrows playfully.
"You didn't tell me your neighbor was dating Tre Cool!" Amy's friend yells frantically.
"I'm insulted." Tre says dramatically.
"Argh, I thought." Amy stutters.
"We have a plane to catch." I remind everyone.
"Wait! Can you sign my drumsticks?" Amy's friend asks as she pulls out two drumsticks from her bag. Tre pretends to try to remember how to spell his name and then scribbles "Tre Cool" on them artistically.
"There you go." He says messing up her hair.
"Thanks!" She says as she scampers out of the apartment, Amy in tow.

"Lucky toothbrush?" I ask on the taxi drive to the airport, "What exactly makes it lucky?"
"It's blue." He says smugly.
"Oh, yeah, that makes perfect sense." I say sarcastically.
"See, I knew you'd understand." He says grinning evilly.

"I-ho, I-ho, from New York to Oakland I go, todo todo todo todo, I- ho, I-ho, I-ho" I sing into Tre's ear on the airplane, causing him to laugh like a mad man.
"What's that, Snow White?" he asks, still laughing. I nod and lick his cheek.
"Ew! Gross! Do it again." I do as he demands.
"You taste good." I say laughing.
"I know." He says evilly.

The airplane food is placed before us.
"Hmm...I didn't know they served passenger vomit." I state as I poke happily at the food in the tray in front of me.
"Oh yeah, it's a vicious cycle, you it eat, you puke it and they serve it to the next flight." Tre says scientifically as he takes a scoop of supposedly lasagna.
"Mmm it's a good batch." I take a bite and swallow.
"I agree, it is a good batch, probably from a child." I say happily.
"No, no I'd say preteen." Tre says confidently.
"You're probably right, you travel way more than I do." I say nodding.

When we walk into Tre's house, we're greeted by an anxious Frankito.
"Daddy! You're back!" he yells happily.
"Yeah, now for a round of super hero soccer!" Tre says as he slings Frankito over his shoulder, making the child laugh uncontrollably.
"Is she going to play, too?" Frankito asks pointing at me.
"No, I'm fine." I say messing up Frankito's hair.
"Awe, you can be wonder woman." Tre says raising his eyebrows suggestively.
"Tempting, but I think I'll pass." I say laughing as Tre puts down Frankito. Frankito comes back moments later with two red capes and passes one to Tre. The two of them run into the backyard wearing capes and they start to play an interesting game of soccer.

"Tre didn't tell me you were coming." Claudia says walking out of the kitchen.
"Oh, I thought he did." I say awkwardly to his ex-wife.
"No problem, I guess." She says motioning me to the kitchen. "Do you want some coffee?"
"Uh sure." I say sitting at the kitchen table. She pours a couple of cups of coffee on the table and sits across from me.
"So you and Tre are getting pretty serious, huh?" she asks studying me.
"Yeah, I guess." I say sipping my coffee.
"Does me living in the same house as Tre make you uneasy?" She asks politely.
"No, I know it's for Frankito so I'm okay with it, besides, this house is huge." I say laughing.
"True," She says looking around. Ore conversation is interrupted by my cell phone, I see it's Adie who's calling.
"Hey Adie." I say as I flip open my phone.
"Hey, I was wondering if you and Tre are still coming with us for drinks tonight?" she says hurriedly.
"Yeah." I say casually.
"Okay good, we'll see you at eight." She says as she hangs up.

"I win! I win! I win!" Frankito says jumping up and down around the kitchen.
"It was a lucky shot." Tre protests.
"Nuh uh! I got five and you only got one!" Frankito gloats.
"Oh yeah, Franky is completely right, I saw the whole thing. He beat you BIG time." I say giving Frankito a high five as he runs out of the kitchen to watch cartoons.
"Meanie." Tre says sticking out his tongue as he sits next to me with his own cup of coffee.
"So true." I sass, "Oh, by the way, we're going out for drinks with Adie and Billie tonight."
"Oh, yeah let's get wasted!" Tre says raising his arms in the air.
"Let's get wasted! Let's get wasted!" I hear Frankito repeat from the living room.
"Not until you're twenty-one!" Claudia yells.
"Or you can drive to Canada and get wasted at eighteen." Tre says evilly.
"What are you talking about?" Frankito asks cluelessly.
"Nothing, you're dad's just being funny." I say as Frankito scurries back to his cartoons.
"So when do you leave for Australia?" Claudia asks as she finishes off her coffee.
"The tenth and we'll be back the twentieth." I say looking at the calendar on my cell phone.
"Frankito has his school Christmas show on the twentieth." Claudia states.
"We'll be back by mid-afternoon." I say still fidgeting with my cell phone.
"Oh good." Tre says pretending to wipe sweat from his forehead.

"Let's go drinking Irish style!" Billie yells when Tre and I get to his house.
"Meaning what exactly?" I ask as I wrap my arm around Tre's waist.
"Meaning, we drink, drink some more and oh yeah drink!" he exclaims proudly.
"Designated driver?" I ask again.
"The taxi cab guy." Tre says as if it's the most obvious option.
"I already called for a taxi to drive us there." Adie says as she joins in the entrance, purse in hand.
HONK! HONK!
"Taxi!" Tre yells happily as we leave Billie's house.

*several hours and several drinks later*
"Bye guys!" I slur getting out of the taxi with Tre. We walk up the driveway to the house. "I love your butt."
"I love my butt too." Tre says grabbing it with both hands, causing me to laugh. "You're not going to puke are you?"
"I don't puke...much." I say as I stumble up the steps. "Shhh, we have to be very quiet."
"Speak for yourself." He says laughing. He unlocks the door and we make our way to his bedroom.
"So tired." I mutter as I flop down on the bed.
"You going to sleep in your jeans?" he asks looking me over.
"Nope, I'm sleeping in your t-shirt." I say pulling it off of him. I squiggle out of my jeans and toss my shirt and on the floor. I slip into his black t-shirt, which smells so lovely of Tre. I lie in between the sheets and feel nude Tre join me.

I wake up in the middle of the night to the sound of Tre snoring heavily.
"Urgh!" I say grabbing my stomach.
"Wha, what? What's wrong?" Tre asks startled.
"Nothing, I'm going to hurl." I mutter as fall off the bed onto my knees on the floor.
"Jeez, are you okay?" he asks helping me up and taking me to his washroom. After puking sufficiently he smirks.
"History repeating." He says flushing the toilet.
"Nope, I missed the toilet this time." I say as I lean over the toilette for another up-chuck session. Tre looks over at me at the floor.
"Pleasant." He says opening the cabinet and pulling out paper towel.
"Sorry." I say rinsing out my mouth. "Argh, the mother of all hangovers is starting."
"Same here." He says wiping up the puddle of puke. "Aspirin?" he tosses me an aspirin container.
"Thanks." I say popping two in my mouth and drinking some tap water. Tre takes the bottle from me and pops two in his mouth.
"C'mon my sexy puker, let's go back to bed."