Status: Rewritten, let me know what you think!!

A Library Romance

Chapter Fourteen

*Nico's P.O.V.*

I almost blew it. I almost blew any chance I ever had of really becoming Adlar’s friend. If I’d actually succeeded in kissing him tonight then he would have been disgusted with me and would have hated me for the rest of his life. Of course initially I hated Antonio for interrupting me and dragging me home so I could get ready like the diva he knows I am. But after taking a shower and washing myself of the day, I realized how thankful I should be that he came in when he did. Any closer and we wouldn’t have been able to ignore it. Any closer and I wouldn’t have been able to stop myself from kissing him.

I have to make sure I look amazing tonight. Maybe tonight will change my life. Maybe tonight Adlar will look at me, see how amazingly gorgeous and fashionable I am, and tell me he likes me too. Or maybe I’ll attract some guy who wants to come out of the closet and he’s secretly had a crush on me for years, and then life will be perfect where I fall in love with someone else and forget about Adlar and his stupidly hot self.

But I think that’s definitely a long shot.

The first thing I have to do is shave my face; something I never got the chance to do this morning resulting in a major five o’clock shadow. Then I style my hair with gel, spiking it just enough to look like I didn’t really try even though much thought and care went in to the process of making my hair look good.

Next I give myself a generous spray of Axe to make myself smell irresistible. I pull on my black boxer briefs. I don’t know what it is about wearing black boxer briefs, but just knowing that I’m wearing underwear that makes me look good, makes me feel good.

I try on about four pairs of jeans, trying to find which one makes my ass look the best. I finally decide on a pair of light blue ones that are tighter in the ass area and looser on the legs. I choose a tight black v-neck that shows off my muscles. To finish off the outfit I slip on the cross necklace my father gave me when I was fourteen and had just officially come out.

“Hey, Fatato, you ready yet?” Antonio yells, barging in to my room.

Si, I’m just trying to find my black Nike’s,” I say, rummaging through my closet.

“You mean these ones?” Antonio asks, pulling them out from under my bed.

“Thanks,” I smile widely, pushing my feet in to them, “You got me that JD?”

“Sure did. Got a 2-4 of Bud, too.”

“Cool. Let’s go.”

-----

By the time Antonio and I get to Craig’s the place is packed. The living room is full of people grinding against each other to crappy dance and R&B music. The kitchen is half-full of people grabbing drinks and a little group of guys who are trying to look cool sharing a beer bong. On the back deck is a group that never dies down but is ever-changing of kids passing joints around.

I grab a beer and wander around, trying to find a familiar face. I see Deana in the living room grinding with the man of her dreams, her older brother’s best friend. Drake is in the hallway with a girl pressed up against the wall and his tongue down her throat like usual. Antonio is in the kitchen, easily one of the most popular guys at the party, surrounded by an adoring crowd.

“Hey, Nico!” A heavenly voice calls from behind me.

I turn to find Adlar waving me over to a table in a room just off the kitchen; I’m assuming it’s the dining room. I smile and he continues to drunkenly wave me over so I oblige and join him and a little group.

“These guys told me that you’re the champ when it comes to Flip Cup,” Adlar smirks wickedly.

“Are you challenging me, oh pale one?” I smirk back, grabbing a stack of empty red solo cups.

“I do believe I am.”

“Just don’t throw up on me,” I laugh.

“You got it.”

The small crowd we have gathered cheers and a couple guys set up our game, four cups each. Adlar has no idea what he’s getting himself in to. Abigail runs up to the table, becoming the head of my own personal cheerleading squad.

“Go Nico!” she shrieks, giggling and clapping her hands.

“Abigail,” I say sternly, turning towards her, “Ssh.”

“Okay,” she squeaks, placing her hands over her mouth.

Turning back to Adlar, I make sure all of our cups are equally full. I instruct him to put his hands behind his back and not to bring them in front of him until we’re told to. As soon as the word is said Adlar and I are rushing, trying to flip over the first cup. I try my hardest not to look at him, afraid he might distract me. The second I start to chug my last beer Adlar says something.

“You are so hot, Nico.”

I spit out my drink, my eyes bulging. Did he really just say that? In front of all these people? I look up at Adlar. He’s smirking as he pours the last sip down his throat, swallowing it. He immediately bursts out laughing.

“You bitch!” I yell, pointing accusingly at him, “You cheated! That’s not fair! I call a rematch!”

“I did not cheat. It’s not my fault you can’t hold your booze,” Adlar says smugly, holding in a laugh.

“Bull shit, Adlar. Rematch right now!”

“Fine,” Adlar grumbles.

“This time, no funny business,” I say as someone sets up our cups again, filling them.

This time around, Adlar keeps his word and doesn’t distract me. I beat his ass, of course. I finished my last drink four seconds before he did.

“How do you swallow those things so quickly?” Adlar asks, clutching at his chest.

“Honey, have we met?” I quote Samantha from Sex and the City and smirk at him, raising an eye brow.

Adlar’s face turns a bright red and I burst out laughing at the embarrassed look on his face.

“Oh, my God, that’s priceless,” I chuckle, wiping my eyes, “You should have seen the look on your face.”

“You’re sick, Nico,” Adlar mumbles.

I chuckle, slinging my arm over his shoulders as I lead him in to the kitchen to grab a couple beers. We make our way in to the living room, the alcohol allowing our bodies to dance to music that neither of us would usually dance to.

I don’t know what it is about Adlar, but I’ve never had more fun at a party, then I was with him right now. After a while the entire party morphed in to one big blur; drink after drink, the party became a blur of Adlar and I being surrounded and adored by various people that I didn’t care about remembering. It was only Adlar and I.

And then my lips touched his.

I pressed his body between mine and the wall of the hallway, savouring the minty and alcoholic taste of his lips. My fingers cling to the soft fabric of his shirt. I subconsciously press my hips to his.

Suddenly the voices of the people around me come to my attention. Shocking gasps and shrieks of horror begin to spread through the room. Realizing what I just did I back away from Adlar, seeing a look on his face that I can only assume is horror. My back hits the wall and the tears start to form in my eyes. All I can think about is the look on Adlar’s face and about how stupid I am.

Before Adlar can say anything I quickly wind my way through the crowd of people, finding Antonio in the kitchen. I grab on to his shirt, shoving my face close to his.

“We have to get out of here,” I say through gritted teeth.

“Nico, calm down, it’s a party,” Antonio laughs.

“No, we have to go.”

“Ni-”

“Antonio, I kissed him!” I yell, a tear rolling down my cheek.

“Shit, come on.”

Antonio grabs my arm, pulling me out of the house quickly.