Sequel: Open Your Eyes
Status: Please comment if you like it.

Just Say Yes

Dying Alone Would Definitely Be Worse, I Believe That Now

“Erin! Erin!” Ben yelled running frantically towards her the instant she walked into the house. She had gotten up earlier than the two boys she was sharing a home with and decided to take Pinkly for a walk along the beach. She bent down to unhook the dog's leash just as Ben stopped short of the blonde and white fluffy dog.

“What buddy?” Erin smiled at his wide eyes and bright smile. He was clearly excited over something, she just wasn't sure what.

“Look!” Ben exclaimed lifting the left sleeve of his t-shirt to reveal the batman logo marked onto his porcelain white skin. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Brian walk into the room, a black sharpie in his hand. “I have a tattoo like Brian!”

Erin laughed, glancing briefly to Brian who shrugged casually. “He asked for a tattoo, I'm not gonna deprive the kid. He clearly has good taste.” He reasoned, taking a seat on the couch.

“Well it looks great.” Erin complimented as Ben rolled his sleeve back down. “But I think you'll have to talk to your mom about that first.” She ruffled the young boy's hair playfully.

“Brian said he got his without his parents knowing.” Ben grabbed the X-Box controllers from the coffee table and handed one to Brian. Erin cast a glare her boyfriends way. Brian held his hands up as if claiming his innocence.

“I wasn't going to lie to him.” Erin rolled her eyes as Ben jumped on the couch next to Brian.

Just as Erin stood up there was a faint knock on the door. She smiled at the two boys on the couch, yelling and getting all too into the video game they were playing. Upon opening the door Erin was met with the smiling face of her best friend.

“Hi!” She squealed, engulfing Erin in a hug before the blonde could even open the door all the way. Erin pat her friends back as the brunette kept releasing high pitched sounds from her mouth.

“Hi, how was your weekend?” Erin asked rhetorically, pulling out of the tight embrace. She stepped aside so Lisa could come inside. “Where's Zack?”

“Fabulous and he's picking up the dogs at his parents place, he'll be back in ten minutes.”

“Mommy!” Ben jumped off the couch, bounding over to his mother. He hugged her legs as she ran her fingers through his hair. Brian joined them, leaning against the railing of the stairwell that lead upstairs. Lisa asked her son how the sleepover went to which he went on about the trip to the beach with Leana and crazy uncle Jimmy, as Ben liked to call him. He informed her on Brian's extensive collection on all things Batman which led to him showing her the Batman 'tattoo' on his arm. He explained to her that he wanted full sleeves just like Jimmy, Matt, Brian and Zacky.

Lisa laughed nervously. “We'll see about that. Um,” Lisa looked around at the three people vacating the foyer. “I have some good news.” She said with a wide and blinding white smile.

“What is it mommy?” Ben asked, looking up from his spot gripping her legs.

Lisa raised her left hand next to her face, something twinkled on one of her fingers. “I'm engaged!” She let out another squeal of excitement. Erin was surprised, but smiled happily for her friend, knowing she deserved all the happiness in the world.

Ben looked up at his mother curiously. “What does that mean?”

“It means, baby,” Lisa removed his hands from around her legs and bent down so she was at his level. “that Zacky and I are getting married and we're going to live with him in California.” Ben's mouth dropped then curved into an excited smile, he wrapped his small arms around his mothers neck.

“Congrats!” Erin praised, trying not to let her smile falter as she slowly realized she'd be going back home to Boulder alone.

She must have succeeded because no one seemed to notice her mind reeling with that thought. Instead, Brian walked over and gave Lisa a hug, also giving her his congratulations.

“We're going to Vegas next weekend to celebrate so don't you dare make any plans!” Lisa looked to both of them, pointing a firm finger to make her point known.

- - - - - - - - - - -

“So did you want to stop by and see Corinne before we go to the hotel?” Brian asked, as it was now Lisa and Zacky's celebratory engagement weekend.

“No, I already called her a few days ago. She told me she was going to stay with a friend of hers in Reno for the weekend.” Erin chuckled, “I figure I'd let her enjoy her freedom of having no grand kids around. She's spent almost twenty four years with kids around, she could use the break.”

Brian nodded, happy to have the aviator glasses covering his eyes, it was getting harder and harder to keep the secret from her. But he was reminded that he had something else to do as he shifted slightly in his seat and felt the small box in his pocket move.

“Can I ask you a favor?” Erin asked taking her eyes away from the passing scenery to the dark haired man behind the wheel.

“Of course, doll.” Erin smiled at the nickname.

“Can we make a pit stop before Vegas? There's somewhere I want to take you.” Brian nodded, reaching his hand across to lace his rough calloused fingers with her soft feminine ones.

“Anything for you, just tell me when we're close.” He kissed her hand softly before resting their hands together on top of the center console. Erin smiled softly at him then looked back out the window, a feeling of bliss mixed with some sadness, merely due to the emotional pit stop she had to make.

When the scenery got all too familiar, Erin directed Brian to take the right exit and explained where to go. The parking lot didn't give a lot away, it was heavily wooded and green. The lot was almost vacant minus a few cars, Brian parked the vehicle and hopped out almost immediately.

The air was warm and crisp, as it was only eleven in the morning and the birds chirped loudly from the trees surrounding the parking lot. Erin met him behind the SUV, and took his hand the first chance she got. She squeezed tighter than usual, and even laid her head against his shoulder. He had an eerie feeling in his stomach telling him that what they were about to do wasn't going to be a walk in the park.

He watched her take in a deep breath as her bright blue eyes drifted closed and they turned the corner. His instincts served him right as his eyes took in the sight before him.

A faint. “Oh.” left his lips before she slowly opened her eyes. Before them stood a black cast iron gate, and just in front of it there was a large stone pillar with a silver plaque that read Southern Nevada Cemetery

“You don't mind do you?” She asked softly, lifting her head off his shoulder to gaze up at him. She hoped that his faint words hadn't been those of discomfort. He removed his sunglasses and looked down at her with those brown eyes she couldn't get enough of.

“You don't even have to ask.” He half smiled, and kissed her lips softly. “Let's go.” Erin nodded and let out a relieved breath as they walked through the gate, and proceeded through the cemetery.

The sun was shining brightly over the couple and grass they walked on was thick and lush. Colorful flowers were planted near the entrance which continued well through out, with the flowers thoughtfully placed by the loved ones of whomever was placed to rest there. Various trees were scattered through out, casting shadows in their wake. If it hadn't of been for the vast array of headstones, Brian wouldn't have thought this was a cemetery at all. It was almost beautiful.

His eyes scanned over the names and dates, some dating back to the fifties and sixties, and some frighteningly current. He followed closely behind Erin, noticing that her paces were slowing down significantly until she stopped completely. The wind decided to pick up slightly, blowing some of her free falling blonde hair in her face.

He watched her kneel down to brush her fingers lightly over the headstone, clearing any dirt from the script. Brian stood back with his hands in his pockets, unsure of what to do with himself. He didn't want to intrude on the moment Erin was having with her mother.

“What do you normally do when you come here?” He asked, his voice a lower octave than usual due to the solemn nature of the situation.

“Talk to her.” She replied simply as another light breeze passed through the cemetery.

“I hope I'm not stopping you.” Brian said awkwardly. He hadn't been to very many cemeteries in his life so he wasn't positive how people normally went about things. However, something told him that Erin wouldn't be like most grieving family members.

“You aren't.” She assured, flashing a grateful smile. “Come here.” She insisted softly, sitting herself down on the grass. He slowly walked over and sat himself down behind her, keeping some distance between them. Erin didn't have to tell him she wasn't happy with that, instead she slid herself back so she was in between his legs with her back flush against his chest.

“Would your mom be okay with us being in this position?” He asked curiously, which erupted a small laugh from the blonde in his arms.

“She was even more bubbly and free spirited than my Grandma is. So I'm sure she'd be okay with it.” Brian felt that familiar twinge of guilt whenever Corinne was brought up in conversation, but he tried to put that behind him for the moment focusing merely on Erin.

“No way, I didn't think that was possible.” Erin not only heard but felt the low rumble of laughter escape from Brian's chest.

“Yeah, she spent a year in California. She always went on about how California boys were one of a kind.” Erin explained with a hint of amusement in her tone, and peeked over her shoulder at him.

“And what do you think about that?” He asked with a raised eyebrow. She laughed sweetly and leaned her body further into his but not before she placed his arms around her securely.

“I think she was right.” She spoke softly before leaning up to press her lips against his. He tightened his arms around her as his lips lingered on her mouth before she turned away, casting her eyes on the slate headstone baring her mothers name.

“I haven't talked to her in so long.” She mumbled quietly, her fingers played with the hem of her shirt. Brian noticed her apprehension when it came to her talking to her mom. He reassuringly took one of her hands in his, and placed a gentle kiss on her cheek.

“What's stopping you?” He watched her smile lazily before she cleared her throat and began telling her mom about California. Brian listened intently to her talking about all her favorite things about his hometown. She started off listing all of the fascinating shops and restaurants she had discovered and raved about the extraordinary beaches with soft sand and large waves.

He smiled at how animated she got explaining everything in full detail, racking her blonde head for anything she had missed. He was impressed that she was speaking as if her mother was sitting across from them and they were just having a normal conversation.

Ten minutes in she was informing her mother about each one of his friends, whom , over the course of the summer, happened to become hers as well. She described Jimmy as the loud but lovably crazy one who's girlfriend, Leana was basically the female version of himself. Johnny was labeled the quiet one but when he spoke he always had something interesting to say and Lacey was the studious type but always knew how to have fun.

She started on Zacky and Lisa as he took a moment to look at his surroundings, there wasn't much to look at since the cemetery was, for a lack of a better word, dead. That was, except for two figures standing underneath one of the larger trees a few yards away from himself and Erin. There was what looked to be a man in his early thirties, not much bigger than himself, who held the hand of a small girl. She looked to be a few years younger than McKenna. Silent tears were falling down her pale cheeks as she placed the bouquet of vibrant flowers in her hand next to the headstone. The man had his hand placed firmly on the back of who Brian assumed to be his daughter, she turned into the man letting her cries of agony be muffled by his shirt.

Brian was suddenly reminded why he didn't visit cemeteries all that often. For most people it wasn't something that brought them a sense of relief like it did for Erin. He knew that if he were to step foot in a cemetery that held the final resting place of a loved one, he would be too overwhelmed with emotion. He looked away from the disheartening father and daughter and back to the blonde sitting in his arms, now silent.

“All done?” He asked, his lips close to her ear. She mumbled a soft 'Yeah' and nodded her head, causing some of her silky hair to brush the side of his face. “Can I say something?” She leaned slightly to the left, just enough for her curious blue eyes to met his hopeful brown ones.

“Okay.” A happy smile spread across her lips. He shifted his body around so he was able to look at her properly.

“Close your eyes.” He told her to which she tilted her head to the side, slightly puzzled. She opened her mouth to protest but he held a finger up to her pink lips. “Just trust me, alright?” His tone was soft and reassuring, she sighed before following his request and begrudgingly closed her eyes.

Brian smiled to himself as he reached into his pocket to pull out a small square blue jewelery box. He toyed with it in his hands momentarily before speaking.

“Hold out your hand.” He instructed as her small hand came up to rest in the air between the two of them. “Remember the night we met?”

She smiled and bit her bottom lip softly. “Of course.”

“Remember when you first sat down with me and said that dying alone would be worse?” He chuckled subtly as he watched her frown slightly at the memory. A faint blush spread across her cheeks, and he imagined if her eyes had been open she'd roll them at her own comment.

“Well, you were right.” He placed the blue box in her open palm, her fingers on reflex curled around the small cube. Her brows furrowed as she tried to figure out what was placed in her hand. “Dying alone would definitely be worse, I believe that now.”

Her features softened at his words and her lips curved into a shy smile. “You can open your eyes.” He told her, preparing himself for her reaction.

Erin's eyes fluttered open, seeing Brian's face before anything else. He looked a bit on the nervous side, which was an adjective not normally used to describe the lead guitarist. Brian flashed her a cautious half smile as her eyes descended upon the object in her hand. The moment she laid eyes on it her heart began beating so fast she could hear her pulse thumping in her ears and felt her breath catch ever so slightly in her throat. Her mind instantly went to one thing, something she wasn't sure if she was ready for.

She heard Brian laugh softly, her gaze shifted to him. “Don't worry, it's not what you think. Open it.” He urged in an all too casual tone, as she narrowed her eyes.

Not completely trusting him, she hesitantly opened the box. He had surprised her far too many times since they had met for her to believe that he no longer had any left. She laughed when her eyes discovered what was inside, his words of assurance had rang true. It hadn't been the ring she was expecting to find, instead it was a necklace that consisted of a piece of twisted silver with three stones incrusted as the pendant. The craft work clearly told her it was hand made, the stones were each a different color; one was a dark blue topaz, along with a light blue and the third was clear.

“It's beautiful.” She uttered her first words in several minutes, the smile never leaving her face. Her fingers traced lightly over the silver pendant before she removed it from the box. With her free hand she brought her hair over to one side, exposing her neck.

“Can you put it on for me?” She asked softly turning around for him. Brian took the necklace in his hand, draping it around her and secured the clasp at the base of her neck. Erin turned her body back towards him, a satisfied smile on his lips.

“Thank you.” She breathed, leaning in to kiss him.

“I love you.” He muttered as she was inches away from pressing her lips to his.

Erin stopped promptly upon hearing those words escape his mouth, her heart felt like it had skipped a beat or two. Whereas Brian felt like a weight had been lifted off his shoulders as he had been waiting to vocalize his feelings for a few weeks now.

“I was gonna tell you in Vegas but clearly I couldn't wait that long.” He chuckled nervously, hoping for her to smile in response but to no avail. He rubbed the back of his neck, watching her blue eyes study him. “Sorry if this wasn't an appropriate place to--” She pressed a gentle finger to his lips.

“It was perfect. I love you too.” Her lips now curved into the same grin that he had seen the night Ben hugged him. “Now shut up and kiss me.” She instructed firmly.

His infamous and confident smirk reappeared, which he knew left her speechless almost everytime. “Yes ma'am.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I've been having a really rough week so I hope the ILY was good and not overly cheesy. It took a lot to write this when I've been the opposite of happy so let me know what you thought? Please? Lots of comments would make me feel a little better and of course help me update faster. :) Thanks to everyone.

I'll just leave you all with this to stew on... There's always a calm before a storm