Status: Next update: sometime soon

The Drug Years

I Will Hold Out Just As Long As You

Lacey's point of view
====================


"What is this story about?" Mrs. Andrews asked holding up a copy of 'How To Kill A Mocking Bird.'

Tanner proudly raised his hand and she quickly called on him. "It's about a lawyer who decides to help a black man and everyone is against it."

"Correct," Mrs. Andrews said. "What else is it about?"

No one else in the class raised their hand, so she decided to call on someone at random. She scanned the class looking for someone who wasn't paying attention. "Quinton, What is the main character's name?"

He looked at her before saying, "Atticus."

"How did you know that?" She asked surprised that he knew the answer. Even though he aced every test, I believed all the teachers thought he cheated.

"I've read the book about a million times," he stated. The class looked at him, shock crossing every face except mine.

"You read?" A girl a few seats away asked, pushing her blond hair out of her face.

"Yeah," Quinton replied shrugging his shoulders.

They all acted as if the world was about to end because a known drug addict read books in his spare time. I just shook my head trying to keep laughter from bubbling out of my lips. He turned back to me and smiled as if we were conspiring to overthrow the status quo.

I returned a smile and Mrs. Andrews told the class to split up into groups and read chapter one of the book. She walked defeated to her desk.

Quinton turned to face me. "Shall we be partners then?"

"Of course," I replied.

"It seems as if my new-ness has made the class uneven. So could we be a threesome?" Tanner asked.

I rolled my eyes before saying, "Sure."

He smiled as if he was just accepted into a secret club. "It seems as if the class finds the thought of you reading impossible," he said to Quinton confused.

"Yeah. Almost like I'm some kind of criminal," Quinton responded. "Where are you from exactly?"

"I'm from across the pond, but I like to keep it on the down low," Tanner answered.

"You mean across the ocean?" I asked.

"Yes, of course. I hide my accent quite well, don't I?" He asked a faint British accent coming through.

"I would have never guessed you were from over there," Quinton stated.

"Yeah, well I didn't want to broadcast it. For some reason American girls find my accent quite charming. Now they'll have to get to know the real me because they want to, not because my accent turns them on." He winked in my direction.

I just rolled my eyes.

"So Quinton, tell me why everyone treats you like a delinquent," Tanner demanded.

"I smoke weed," he stated plainly as if it was no big deal.

"Do you also?" Tanner turned to me.

"No," I replied shaking my head. "I don't."

"I had a friend who was very much in to smoking," Tanner spoke.

"That's nice," I responded.

"He died last winter."

"That's horrible," I said a little too loudly. Thoughts of Quinton raced through my mind.

"Miss Abernathy keep it down over there," Mrs. Andrews chided. "I know you're surrounded by two boys, but you don't need to flirt so loudly."

I ignored Mrs. Andrews statement and turned back to Tanner.

"He died because he was in a car accident," Tanner added laughing. "Ironic isn't it?"

"No," I said angry because he had just made me think of things I didn't want to bring up. "It's not ironic at all. Do you even know what it means?"

"I'm British, not illiterate," he defended.

I just rolled my eyes. "So Quinton, how was your second period?" I asked trying to ignore Tanner.

"Same as usual. Boring as hell," he responded.

"You know, I don't even know what your second period class is," I stated trying to get some info out of him.

"Calculus," he stated as if it was an easy class.

"Are you serious?" I asked.

"Yeah," he replied looking at me oddly.

"Let me guess you're making an A in that class?"

"No, a B. I'm just one point away from an A though."

"You suck."

He just smirked. I frowned and a strand of hair fell into my face. Quinton reached towards me to brush it away before stopping an inch away. He then dropped his hand. "Sorry Ace. I'm not letting you win that easily."

"I will hold out just as long as you," I stated.

"Only time will tell," he replied.

"What are you two talking about?" Tanner asked confused.

"It's need to know and you don't need to know," I spoke annoyed.

"It's a bet we have," Quinton blurted ignoring my last statement. "Who ever can not touch the other the longest wins."

"That sounds intriguing," Tanner replied, resting his head on his hand. "I bet she'll lose," he said as if I wasn't even there.

"She is right here and can hear you." I rolled my eyes again. I was getting really ticked off by Tanner's presence.

"Someone needs to relax," Tanner mumbled.

I just glared at him evilly until Mrs. Andrews stood in front of the class. "Ok the bell is going to read, I hope you all read what you were supposed to and weren't talking." She glanced at me.

I just sighed deeply. Everyone seemed to be against me today.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for not updating last week.
I had the mild case of writers block. =/

Go check out my new story Imaginary because I would really like some feedback on it. =]
Thanks a bunch!

Comments make me happy! =]