Guy With a Tattooed Neck

Understanding

As I wasn’t sure what Gerard wanted done with the garden, I just spent the next few hours pulling weeds out of the overgrown flowerbeds. By the time Bob came out of the house and called me over, my hands were already scraped and bloody in various places and dirt covered my arms and pants.

“I’m going out to get some meat for dinner. I thought you might like the break and I could use an extra set of hands anyway.” Bob said dismissively.

“Um, sure.” I replied uneasily. I think he was trying to get along with me but the air around us was thick and awkward. I watched curiously as Bob’s eyes ran down my body.
“Get cleaned up a bit before we leave, don’t want people thinking I just kidnapped you or something.” I laughed, even though I didn’t know if he was joking or not. It was a good move though, I think, because even though he didn’t smile in return, his eyes did brighten and the corners of his lips twitched slightly.

As I followed behind Bob, on the way back into the house, I glanced up to the top story of the house and saw, what I presume, was Gerard’s shadowy figure, retreat from the window.

Why was he always watching me?

The shop wasn’t that far from the house so we walked the short distance. As we shopped, Bob began to get friendlier and I felt I was able to talk to him more easily.

I decided to try and find out a bit more about the house that I was going to be living in for what seemed like the rest of my horrible life.
“So how long have you been working for the Way’s?”
“God, ages. I was a chef for Gerard’s dad before he died, so, a few years before Gerard and his wife got married and came to live here. Liked my job a lot more before they came here though. I mean no offence to Gerard or anything, always liked him. We’re more friends than anything else. But, shouldn’t be telling you this, and I’ll kick your ass if you tell anyone. It’s his wife. She really isn’t right for him. Don’t know what he sees in her. It’s just bitch, bitch, bitch.”

I didn’t know what to reply to that, but luckily I didn’t get a chance to. We had arrived at the butchers.
A tallish kid with brown, messy hair and glasses stood behind the counter, smiling brightly at me and Bob.

“Frank, this is Mikey. We always buy our meat and stuff from here. Mates rates and all.”
“Hey, what’s up?” He asked me brightly.
“Not much.” I mumbled back, this kid was way too bright for me; give me a pair of sunglasses for crying out loud.
“Frank’s the new gardener; Gerard wants the back garden to look decent.” Mikey laughed, well, more giggled, before turning to me once again.
“Good luck with that, I’ve seen that garden, it’s like a jungle.” I just smiled at him slighty, not in the mood for this type of light hearted conversation. It wasn’t normal for people to be nice to me the first time they see me. No-one ever wants to be friends with the short, weird kid.

Thankfully I didn’t have to keep up appearances much longer. We bought the meat and some other random items; I narrowly avoided smashing into Bob’s back when Mikey winked at me, and headed back to the house.

As I was walking back to the Way household, I couldn’t help but get the almost overpowering urge to grab the food and run all the way back to my old home, the orphanage.
Even though I hated most of the kids currently residing in that rat infested hell-hole, it was my rat infested hell-hole and I felt at home there. No-one looked down on my living standards because they were in the exact same situation as me, with an almost familiar sob story to match.

I wished I could go, but I can’t. Ryan would be over the moon if he could eat the delicacies that I was currently heaving through the streets. He had had some chicken wings for his birthday and almost choked, practically inhaling them. I wouldn’t mind seeing that look on his face once more.

Ryan.

Even though he was a little screwed up, he was still my best friend, only friend from that place. I felt bad leaving him there; he was just as alone now as I had once been. No-one else liked him, apart from Alison.

I got cut off from my tangent thoughts as we once again began to make the slow trek up the Way drive. I glanced up at the high windows and felt a slight sinking feeling within me as I didn’t see the familiar shadow of one Gerard Way. I quickly tried to shake it off; I didn’t understand why it was there.

As I walked into the house I heard some muffled yelling coming from the living room. As me and Bob passed its doorway, heading for the kitchen, I saw who I presumed was Ronnie standing in front of Mrs. Way, obviously trying his hardest to ignore her.
I passed slowly, curious as to what this kid was like. He was obviously a little younger than me and had longish black hair, but unlike Gerard’s it looked dyed. It was also cut at ragged points and looked as if it had been gelled in some places. He wore dark eye make-up, a red t-shirt with the arms cut off and light blue jeans that were cut at the knees.

“If I ever find something like that in your room again…” Mrs. Way trailed off before being interrupted by Ronnie.
“Then stay out of my room!” He yelled at her before stomping out of the room through the adjacent door to the one that I was now hurriedly making my way past. Somehow I don’t think spying on the family was going to go down to well.

I spent the next few hours helping Bob in the kitchen. He had reasoned that until Gerard made an appearance there wasn’t much else I could do out in the garden, therefore, I had time to help him with his duties.
I didn’t really mind. It was a nice change to be chopping nicely smelling vegetables and warm bread instead of digging up cold, disgusting smelling crap from the garden.

I was shocked that the day had gone so fast. I didn’t realise the time until Bob announced that dinner was ready and disappeared to put the food on the table.
I began to clean up the remaining food scraps, putting them in the fridge so that they didn’t go off. I stood in the doorway to the kitchen to wait for Bob to return, unsure of what was to happen next.

That’s when I saw him. A movement to my right caught my attention, and as was becoming normal, I saw Gerard’s figure looming above me. He was at the top of the stairs, not moving. I couldn’t see his face because of the light that was on behind his head. I had a massive urge to smash that light. I wanted to see his expression; I wanted to know if he was looking back at me.

He moved a few moments later, slowly making his was down the stairs and eventually passed me, heading towards the dinning room. I tried to suppress a gasp as he passed me. In those few seconds, his piercing hazel eyes bore into mine, guarded as always, hair falling across his face. My fingers tingled to brush that hair behind his ear and gaze at his mysterious face.

The gasp, however, was caused by the slight brushing contact from his hand against my side. I didn’t know if it was intentional or not, it was as if he just grazed by me slightly. But…why hadn’t he passed on the opposite side of the hall?
Why had he been so close?
Most people try so hard to avoid me.

I was pulled from my confused thoughts as Bob appeared in front of me, shoving me to the side when I didn’t move for him.
♠ ♠ ♠
AN: I apologise. I had said to some people I would have this up by friday but obviously it wasn't. Stuff happened and then I had the My Chemical Romance concert last night. *OMFG it was so fuckin kool!!* Anywho, here's the next chapter!!*

AN:Comments please!! Virtual Transformers Advent callender for all!! (or wateva callender you wish) I have one:P It's yummy!!