‹ Prequel: Statues Without Eyes

Black Rose

Honestly

"Jake?" I questioned as we stood in the terminal waiting for Nick to arrive.
"What?"
"Are you going back undercover?" I tried my best to keep my voice calm as I waited for him to answer.
"Where'd you hear that?" He asked as he didn't look at me.
"There was talk that you were going back under."
"I thought about it," He mentioned as my heart raced.
"Please don't," I begged him, "You're my best friend, I can't keep losing you like this."
"I'll always be there for you," He reasoned as I didn't want to believe it.
"You can't keep coming back to me. I'm techincally a CSI, they'll start to get suspicous."
"You guys don't need me at the lab," He smiled lightly, "You've got Jesse there now and Walter and Eric's coming back."
"No, you're wrong," I shook my head, "I need you."
"Sylar, we're not talking about this right now," He sighed as I went to say something when Nick walked up to us.

"Hey guys," Nick smiled at us as I gave him a faint smile, "Is everything ok?"
"It's fine," Jake shook his head as I pushed back the tears that threatened to fall.
"Fine," I nodded.
"Well, shall we? I've got some interesting evidence," He carried his bags as we lead him out to the car.

It was a pretty silent ride back to the lab. Mainly Nick would talk to me or Jake but neither one of us were talking to each other. I knew it had to be uncomfortable for Nick but I didn't have anything to say to Jake right now, at least that wasn't going to be able to be public.

As we headed into the lab to look over evidence with Nick, the two were deep into the evidence as my mind was elsewhere. I couldn't bare to be in the same room with Jake right now, it was breaking my heart all over again. I didn't say anything as I took off my gloves and headed out of the lab and down the hall.

"What's wrong with her?" Nick asked as Jake watched me.
"She's having a bad day," He mumbled as he didn't look at Nick.

I headed out the double doors of the precint as I wanted to be by myself as I found a spot along the wall as I sunk down the side of it. I knew some people could see me but I didn't care, not right now at least. I just wanted to cry, let my river of tears fall but that wasn't happening as I heard someone approach me.

"Sy?" I heard Ryan's voice as I looked up at him, "Are you ok?"
"Yeah," I let out a small laugh, "Fine."
"You don't look fine," He squatted down to my level as I shrugged.
"It's nothing ok?"
"Hey," Ryan lifted my chin, "Whatever bothers you, is my problem now too. Ok?"
"Don't worry," I smild at him, "I'm fine."
"You know I love you right?" Ryan asked as I smiled and nodded.
"I love you too."
"You can go home if something's too much," Ryan looked at me as I shook my head.
"It's just a complication," I smiled lightly at him, "Just give me a few minutes and I'll be fine."
"Ok," Ryan kissed me quickly, "If you need anything, you know where to find me."
"Thanks," I smiled at him as he got up from his spot to head into work as I took a deep breath.

I pulled myself off the ground then headed back into the lab to find Jake and Nick working on evidence with Jesse now. Jake looked up at me as I entered the room to put my labcoat back on as I was still silent.

"Morning Sy," Jesse smiled at me as I gave him a light one in return.
"Hey," I pulled my hair back quickly before putting my gloves on.
"Wow talk about serious tension in the room," Jesse joked as I rolled my eyes.
"I thought you were supposed to be out in the field with Walter?"
"We're waiting on clearence for the vomit comet."
"Good luck with that," I mumbled as I caught Jake smirk but ignored it.

After a few hours of working on stuff with this killer, Nick went to take his break, mainly checking into a hotel, getting lunch and some rest, as Walter and Jesse left, leaving me and Jake alone again.

"We should get some lunch," Jake looked at me as I shrugged.
"Actually I'm meeting Ryan at the crime scene of this space ship thing," I had a bit of a brightness to my voice which I was shocked by, "But I'll catch you later."
"Sy, we still need to talk," Jake called out as I walked towards the door.
"Of course when it's good for you," I let the sarcasm drip from my voice as I headed to Ryan's crime scene.

As I got there, I was about to approach Ryan when the owner of this space ship was complaining about Ryan drilling holes in it. I mean how else are we going to get such a big thing into the lab? Not to mention, it was funny, Ryan's response, as well at totally hot seeing him with that evil grin upon his face.

As that guy walked off, I smiled as I flashed my credidentals and into Ryan's crime scene.

"Hey," I smiled at him as he stopped drilling again for a second.
"Oh hey Sy, you're just in time to help me take this back."
"I can't heavy lift," I pointed out as he raised an eyebrow, "Remember pregnant?"
"Yet you still can ride in competitions," He smirked as I nodded.
"Imagine that," I snickered as he rolled his eyes.
"Yeah imagine that," He mumbled.
"Relax Wolfe," I pulled some gloves on, "That's why I'm here. Didn't think I'd let you do all the hard work now did you?"
"Thanks."
"Don't mention it," I smiled at him as I got to helping with what he was doing.

A few hours later, we were back in the lab, just on a break as I sat across the table from Ryan as he ate lunch but I just wasn't hungry. Seriously, I just couldn't find anything to eat, not to mention the space. It was like my stomach was just not wanting to eat anything. So I sat across from him with my Diet coke as I kept him company.

"Are you sure you're not hungry?" Ryan asked as he looked across at me.
"I'm ok," I smiled at him, "Promise."
"Just making sure," He smiled lightly as Natalia walked into the room.
"There's the happy couple," Natalia smiled as she went to get a bottle of water.
"Hey Natalia," Ryan smiled at her.
"Hey Nat," I smiled back as I looked at her, "So how did your date go with Jesse?"
"Interesting," She shrugged.
"What happened?" I questioned as I got curious.
"Well, "She drew out as Ryan got up from the table.
"That's my cue to leave," Ryan cleared his throat as I looked at him.
"But, no," I pouted as he threw his trash away.
"Girl talk isn't my thing," He mentioned as he kissed my cheek, "I'll see you later."
"Love you," I smiled at him.
"Love you too,"He smiled as he headed out the room as I looked back at Natalia.

"So?"
"We're going out for dinner tonight," She smiled at me as my smile grew.
"And you were so against going out with him in the first place."
"I guess I should thank you, huh?"
"Eh, I'm good," I shrugged as she gave me a look.
"Huh? Sylar not wanting a thanks? What's wrong?" She questioned as I sighed.
"Jake's going back undercover," I played with the label on the bottle, "He just told me this morning."
"Aww, I'm sorry," She sato down to touch my arm lightly, "I know he's your best friend and all."
"Yeah. Plus this case isn't even done and he's leaving me with it."
"Well you'll still have Jesse and Ryan-"
"That's not the point," I interrupted her, "He's just up and leaving again like always and it's just, it's frustrating."
"He'll be back," She smiled lightly at me as I shrugged.
"I've got to get back to work."
"Talk to Ryan about it, he'll understand."
"I will," I smiled lightly as I stood up and headed back to work.

Quitting time got to me super quick which I was thankful for since I was able to leave with Ryan now and get back to Tyler. I was a bit hungry but the event of Jake leaving me was still making me not want to eat. I fed Tyler, then got him settled to play in his play pen as Ryan made me dinner which I was sorta glad that he did but still, it was a rare moment.

"Thanks," I smiled lightly as he placed a plate of pasta in front of me.
"You ok?"
"Fine," I twirled the fork as he rested his head on his hand.
"Don't lie to me."
"Jake's going back undercover," I mentioned lowly as I seen him nod.
"It makes sense now."
"What?" I looked at him.
"You not being hungry and quieter than usual."
"I'm sorry," I gave him a light smile, "I just hate the idea. I don't want him to leave."
"I know," Ryan reached out to touch my hand as I felt his thumb caress it, "I'll be here if you need me, you know that right?"
"Yeah of course," I smiled at him as I looked towards Tyler who made a noise, "And of course him."
"You'll get through it, we'll help you too."
"Thanks," I smiled at him.
"Now eat," He smiled at me then looked at the time, "I'm going to take him for a bath but you eat."
"Have fun," I smiled at him as he picked up Tyler.
"Man kid, you're getting heavy," Ryan mentioned as I went back to eating.
"Takes after his father."
"Funny," Ryan called out from his journey to the bathroom.

After Tyler got put down to bed, I decided that we should get some sleep since he'll probably wake up in the middle of the night a few times not to mention, I was just tired and had an early doctor's appointment to go to with Ryan in the morning.

I got dressed in my pajamas then crawled under the covers as Ryan walked back into the room with a sigh.

"That kid," Ryan shook his head, "Sometimes he won't go to sleep."
"Told you," I smiled as he started to take his clothes off.
"I think he takes after this mother there," He mentioned in my ear as he found things for his shower.
"Probably," I nodded.

As Ryan took his shower, I worked on new plans for new competitions and things for Caleb and a few of the new ones who were joining soon. Not to mention figuring out stuff for my competition and appearance schedule that I could do before I got too far along into being pregnant again. Ryan soon came to bed as he slid under the covers as well, running his hands across my flat stomach for now.

"Hard to believe another life is in there," He mentioned quietly as I smiled at him.
"We should really tell everyone else. Before they all think I've just gained weight."
"We will," He smiled as I sat my work down to look at him, "What do you want it to be?"
"It doesn't matter," I shrugged, "Just as long as nothing bad happens."
"It won't," I felt his hands shift as they went to my pants line.
"Ryan."
"What?" He looked at me as I rolled my eyes.
"Tyler might wake up tonight and I don't want to go into work looking like a zombie, especially since we have that appointment tomorrow morning."
"But we're newly weds still," He pleaded at me with his eyes as I pushed his hands away.
"Really? Feels like we've been together forever," I rolled my eyes as his mouth dropped open.
"Hey."
"Old man," I mumbled as he started to tickle me which I was fighting for a bit but couldn't after a while.

Soon I was asleep in Ryan's arms as I heard my phone buzz then a text say "Have you seen the news?"

I rubbed my eyes, slowly turning on the TV to see why I would get such a text and figuring the noise would help wake us up before Tyler woke us up.

As my eyes adjusted, I heard news that I swear made my heart stop. There had been a bomb explosion around the place where Kyle was stationed.