Status: Discontinued

You Only Get One Shot Do Not Miss Your Chance to Blow

Sixteen

After my and Brendon’s run, I stayed in my room the rest of the day. I only came out after I heard Hayley leave on her date with Ryan. I went to the kitchen, grabbed a box of graham crackers and a juice box and went back to my room.

It was almost 6:00, I had been in my room for almost ten hours and I was completely bored out of my mind. I decided to wander out in the living room. I wasn’t in a bad mood anymore, and I was completely over the whole Jon-showing-up thing. I realized that I overreacted way too much and that it was no one’s fault except my own that I was irritated. As I spent the whole day cooped up inside my room, I figured out that if I had actually thought about when Brendon said last night when he was over, I would have known Jon was here.

If Panic was practicing as a band that meant Jon would be there, because he is part of he band. I could be so clueless sometimes, just another example of me being impulsive.

I dumped myself on the couch and flipped on the TV. There was absolutely nothing on so I sat there flipping the channels, by the time I figured out something else to do I had went through all the channels at least 50 times. I decided to make a cake.

I looked up a recipe online and read the ingredients to myself, “Sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, eggs, milk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and water. Great.” The only ingredients we would have would be salt, eggs and milk. I sighed heavily and headed to the door to get my sandals and some money so I could get the stuff.

By the time I got back it was almost eight and Hayley was on the couch with Ryan, sucking face. “Face suckage alert!” I joked and ran into the kitchen with my shopping bags in hand.

After much mixing and measuring I had gotten the cake in the oven. I could still hear Hayley and Ryan on the couch and I refused to turn around because then I could see them on the couch through the archway. So I dug my cell out of my pocket and called Brendon.

“Hello?”

“Hey, Brenny!”

“Oh hey, Emmy! What’s up?”

“Weelll, I have this awesome chocolaty chocolate cake baking in my oven, but I just need someone to eat it with me, but I can’t seem to find anyone,” I replied jokily.

“Oh! Oh! Oh! Please?! I love cake!” I smiled. I could just see him jumping up and down with his phone waving his hand in the air.

“Well, I don’t know. It’s pretty big and moist,” I heard Brendon lick his lips on the other line, “and besides, it’s going to be done in a couple minutes. I don’t think you can be over here in five minutes and twenty-three seconds. Twenty-two, twenty-one, twenty, ninetee--” I chuckled and hung my phone up after I heard the dial tone. I finished making the frosting and the timer went off signaling to me the cake was done. A couple moments later there was a knock on the door and I heard a little scream from the living room and heard someone hit the ground. I rolled my eyes and looked out the archway to see Ryan helping Hayley up off the ground and headed over to the door, straightening up their clothes, before letting our guest in.

“Wow, I see two people here with sex hair. Awesome.” I heard from the other room and laughed, Brendon was so sociable and cliché. He walked past the two lovers and straight into the kitchen, “Damn. I was expecting to see a third sex hair head. That would have been hot.”

I punched his arm, “Ew, Brendon! If you must know, I had to endure listening to their face sucking the whole time I made this beauty.” I held up the cake and I saw Brendon’s eye’s glisten.

I heard a knock on the door and set the cake down and eyed Brendon and the other two who walked into the kitchen, “Don’t you dare.” And I made my way to the door.

“Hey Spence!” I reached up and gave him a hug. Personally, I thought he gave the best hugs. The hug was long, but not uncomfortable, just right. “You came just in time, I made cake!”

“Awesome!” I turned to lead him to the kitchen when I saw someone standing behind him.

I swallowed hard, “H-hey Jon.”

“Hey Emily.” We both smiled and I continued mine and Spencer’s conversation with him so it didn’t get awkward for him.

“It’s chocolate! And what boy can resist chocolate?!”

Spencer smiled and made his way to the kitchen, Jon slipped off his shoes, “Not me!”

“Then hurry your asses in here!” I heard Brendon yell from the kitchen. I rolled my eyes and followed the two in.

The rest of the evening went by quickly and before I knew it, it was past midnight and I was saying goodbye to everyone. I hugged Brendon tightly and he kissed me on the top of my head. Hayley and Ryan went back to Hayley’s room and Brendon called them out, “Yeah no need for goodbye, just finish off where you guys left off!” He laughed at his own joke.

“For the last time, Fishlips! We didn’t have sex! We were just kissing!”

“A lot.” I added. Hayley’s face got even redder from embarrassment.

“Yeah, yeah, yeah, see you all later!” Brendon waved and was out the door. Spencer gave me one of his great hugs and waved to Ry and Hayls and left, giving Jon a knuckle pound.

“So I guess I’ll see you later?”

“Of course! Night Jon.” With all of them gone I headed to my room, thankful that Ryan and Jon did the dishes for me. I laid in bed for a long while that night. I couldn’t fall asleep with everything racking around in my brain. I was pretty content knowing Jon wasn’t mad at me anymore.

---

The rest of the week went by smoothly. I busied myself with trying to find a job. Even though Hayley’s daddy might be rich, doesn’t mean I was going to take her money. I had to get some money to help pay for half of the bills and food. I wanted to get a job close by so I didn’t have drive or take a taxi. The Strip was close, but not close enough for me to walk everyday.

I closed my laptop in annoyance, I needed to find a job in the next few days or I would run out of money. I grabbed my water bottle sitting next to me, slipped of my running shoes and climbed into the shower.

After my hair was styled I pulled on some light wash skinny jeans and a teal v-neck. I put on just a little make-up and slipped on my gladiator sandals that had rainbow straps that Hayley got me, they went perfectly with my loose skinny jeans. I walked around a while, going into stores asking if they were hiring. I had gotten a couple applications but no place I actually applied was appealing to me. I went home for a quick peanut butter sandwich and hailed a cab and made my way to The Strip.

Even though I wanted my job a little closer to home, I had no choice. I spent the whole afternoon looking for a job that looked interesting. I didn’t have enough money for college at the moment and of course my parents didn’t have any money set aside for college for me and I didn’t want to accept money from Hayley or her father.

I decided I could take two jobs and save up and take a loan out for college if I go in a year or two.

I heard my phone ring and answered it, “Hello?” I was distracted by a guy staring at me from across the street.

“Hey Emmy!”

“Oh hey, Brenny.”

“Where are you?”

“Trying to find a job.”

“Oh, not going so well?”

“Ha. No, not really!” The man was still staring at me and making me uncomfortable so I made my way into the closest store.

“Well, do you know when you will be done? ‘Cause Jon just called and said that they are all going to a movie later and so I thought I’d call you and ask you if you wanted to come.”

“Umm,” I started looking around the place that I entered. I was in a bar, but only half of it was a bar and the other half was a restaurant. It was cluttered with junk which gave it a homey feel to it.

“Earth to Emily?!”

“Oh! Sorry Bren. But yeah, of course I want to go! What time again?”

“6:45, Ry and I will come and pick up you and Hayley a little before 6:30.”

“Okay, sounds great! See you then, bye Bren!”

“Bye Em.”

I closed my phone and stuck it back in my pocket while I looked around. “Can I help you, Miss?

I jumped a little and looked around to see you was talking and saw a man behind the bar. “Um, yes actually. Are you guys hiring?”

“Thank God you asked! Yes we are, actually our manager is coming tomorrow, so why don’t you come in then around two in the afternoon.”

“That would be great, thanks! Why don’t I leave my name for him?”

“Good idea,” he wrote down what he discussed with me and then handed me the paper and I wrote my name on it. It didn’t seem very official, but I went with it because I really liked this place. “Okay, here is our number,” he handed me a business card, “feel free to call if you need. My name is Kyle if you need anything. Bye Ms. Nichols,” he winked at me and I thanked him and left, ignoring a couple of the older drunk men’s cat calls as I walked past them.

Ryan came up to our apartment at 6:20, ignoring the security intercom, which we figured out was broken, and took us down to the car. Brendon was driving the three of us and Spencer, Jon and their friends would meet us there. We four were the last ones to arrive at the theater and we were introduced to Spencer’s sister and his friends and Jon introduced me to his girlfriend, Cassie. She had blonde hair and pale blue eyes and she was gorgeous. When he introduced us though, either she didn’t make the connection, or Jon never told her about me, which I doubt. If I was her, I don’t think I would make the connection either, its total irony that Jon and I met like this without planning.

But it confused me even more, because in the park, Jon said that he couldn’t stop thinking about what he said to me in the alley. If he was in that much distress, why wouldn’t he tell Cassie? The way they acted around each other made them seem like they have been dating for a while because they were so comfortable with one another.

I took a seat by Hayley, who was by Ryan. I wasn’t looking forward to them making out during the entire movie, so I leaned a little more towards Spencer, who was on the other side of me. Brendon was next to him, joking around with Cassie. And the rest of their friends, most of their names went in one ear and out the other, were seated on the other side of Jon and Cassie.

By the end of the movie, I had decided on two things. One, I was never sitting next to Hayley or Ryan in a movie ever again. And two, Jon must have told Cassie about me and the whole situation, but told her to be cool and not worry about, because we had it under control now, no more freak outs.

Brendon dropped Ryan off and then Hayley and I off at our apartment. As I crawled out of the back seat of Brendon’s car after Hayley, Brendon grabbed my belt loop and pulled me back. I landed on the floor of the car with a thud. I rubbed my tailbone and looked up at him. “Yess?”

“You looked nice tonight,” he gave me a wink, I blushed and looked down.

I tried to push myself up but my hips wouldn’t allow it. “Damn you, hips!” I finally squeezed myself up between the backseats and the front seats. Brendon was laughing the whole time but lightly pushed on my back to help me up, as he was still sitting in the driver’s seat.

“See ya later, Emmy.”

“Bye Bren.” I closed the door and he sped off.

When I walked in the door I went straight to the bathroom to wash my face and take out my contacts. I changed into shorts and a tank top and brushed my teeth at lightning speed and was turning out my lights before Hayley was off the phone saying goodnight to Ryan, which doesn’t say much.

After lying in bed for I while I heard a noise out by the dining table. I heard Hayley go to bed before, but I still ignored it. I heard it again a couple moments later so I decided to go check out what it was, so I slipped on some sweatpants and made my way out. The sound came again and I headed to the window to see someone throwing sticks up at our window.

When Brendon said see you later, I was expecting some time in the next couple of days, but not the next couple of hours. I smiled down at him when he started to wave violently.

I ran down the stairs and out the door of the apartment to him. “What the hell are you doing, you crazy?!”

“I’m here to see you silly!” he flicked my nose and I giggled. I quick covered my mouth. “Did you just giggle?”

I shook my head violently, “No!”

He laughed, “Well I thought it was cute.”

“Well maybe I did giggle then,” I said running to catch up with him as he started walking to the sidewalk. We walked in silence for a bit, passing street lights, hotels, complexes, normal people and crazy people. We were finally alone on one street surprisingly, I looked at Brendon and he looked deep in thought and like he was about to say something but I beat him to it. “You know that kiss? What did it mean?”

Brendon looked confused at my bluntness, usually I ramble on. He raised an eyebrow, “What do you mean? What kiss?”

“You know, that kiss back at my apartment last week?” I cleared my throat and mumbled out the last part, “When you pinned me to the wall.”

He gave a little exhale laugh, “What do you want it to mean?”

I slowed my pace a bit while I thought. I honestly didn’t know, I mean, I knew I was totally falling for Brendon even though I wouldn’t say it out loud.

“Okay, rewind like to seven weeks ago, when I woke up in your bed. I--”

“Well technically, it wasn’t my bed, it was the hotel’s bed and besides, we--”

“Stop interrupting!” Brendon mumbled something about how I did it too but I ignored him and continued my train of thought, “When that whole night happened, that was totally stupid.” Brendon looked taken aback a bit. “I’m not saying that I regret doing it.”

“Yes you are,” Brendon sounded a little annoyed now, “You know and I know that you wish you could have taken that night back.”

“No, Brendon, you aren’t taking this correctly.”

“Then how am I supposed to take it, Emily?!” he was started to get worked up and he raised his voice a little.

“Just let me finish and stop cutting me off,” now I was getting irritated. “I don’t regret the whole night, Bren. I regret the part where I got naked for you. I don’t regret coming to Vegas, I don’t regret getting drunk, I don’t regret running through the halls like maniac, I don’t regret landing on top of you, I don’t regret talking to you, but I do regret stumbling into your room with you. When I woke up that morning, I-I felt dirty. I felt like a tramp, I saw you lying next to me and I realized I didn’t even know your name! I meant it when I said ‘I don’t do this ever.’ Because I don’t. I’m not the kind of girl who drops someone because I know what it feels like to be ignored. But I didn’t know you at all, and I wish I had known you, because you are the most fun boy I have ever met, but just because I don’t use people, didn’t mean that you didn’t. If only I had know you! I-I-I, hhhh. I don’t know.”

Brendon stayed quiet for a bit. Then he stopped and turned to me. “You’re saying you lost your virginity to me.” He said it. How could he just say that like it was no big deal? I’m not saying it is a big deal, but it’s definitely not not a big deal.

“Yeah,” I said in defeat and refused to look up from my feet.

“Hey,” he lifted my chin, “I’m sorry.”

“For what? You were drunk too and you didn’t know.”

He chuckled a bit, “You’re rambling again.” I smiled. “I mean, I’m sorry I didn’t realize it meant more to you than I thought it did.”

“I’m not saying that I regret loosing my v-card, I just regret not getting to know you.”

“Mmhmm,” he agreed. “Well, I could say ‘let’s start over. I’m Brendon’ but I’m not going to, because it is totally cheesy. I laughed at looked up at him finally. He grabbed my hand and did a little curtsy bow and kissed the top of it. “Shall we?”

I cocked my head to the side and started to wonder what he was talking about, but before I could ask him anything he started skipping from where we came and since he still grabbing my hand, I got pulled along with him. After getting my balance from being yanked so quickly, I started skipping with him. I was in a fit of laughter when we reached my apartment again. Brendon was a faster skipper than me so I was a about a half a skip behind him when he stopped, cause me to bump into him slightly. He turned around and looked at me. Vegas wasn’t too dark at night so I didn’t have a hard time finding his warm brown chocolate eyes. They were staring deeply into my green ones. “Wanna go get some ice cream?”

“Sure!” He pulled me into the passenger’s seat and closed the door and ran around to the driver’s side and got in. Surprisingly he didn’t drive to the ice cream shop, we went back to his place. We made our way in and he went over to the freezer and pulled out a giant gallon of ice cream. I looked on the cover of it. It said ‘EMMY!’ in thick black permanent marker. I opened it up and saw it was mint chocolate chip, my favorite.

“You remembered?!”

“Of course.” I went to kiss his cheek but he turned his head so my lips met his lips. We stayed there a bit then I pulled away fast, realizing what happened.

I blushed and quickly busied myself with trying to find bowls. After we ate our ice cream we sat down on the couch and watched TV. But once Brendon turned out the lights so we could see the screen better, I was out.

Brendon’s POV

That 70’s Show ended and I turned to look at Emily, but she was fast asleep leaning on my arm and her head resting on my shoulder. She looked so peaceful and I didn’t want wake her, so I gently slid one arm under her knees and the other under her back and picked her up. I laid her down on the bed and I quick went to shut the TV off and the bedroom light off. I pulled the sheets out from under her and covered her up as I slipped in the bed beside her, snuggling closer then I probably should have.

---

When I woke up, the sun was shining right through my big bedroom window. I fluttered my eyes open when I felt body heat next to me, I looked over and saw Emily sleeping peacefully next to me.

I propped myself up on an elbow and studied her features. Her long brown hair flowed all over the pillow and the sun was shinning directly on her, making her hair glisten. I noticed Emily had really small features; small delicate nose, small ears, small eyes, and small lips. I thought back to her smile and remembered she even had small teeth. I smiled at the thought. She wasn’t wearing any make-up and she still looked flawless. Her jawbone was defined and her cheeks weren’t sunken in, but they weren’t rounded, they were perfect. Her eyelids lay over her eyes and I wanted them to flutter open so I could see her green eyes. Her eyes weren’t like any other, they like a mix of yellow-green and Kelley green and I was addicted to looking at them. Her chest rose and fell evenly and when she exhaled, I could here a little fragile breath escape her lips. She was gorgeous.
I noticed that she had kicked the covers off while she slept so I sat up so I could cover her up again. The tank top she was wearing was pushed up and her midriff was showing. Her stomach was slightly tanned and as I went to pull the covers up I noticed a mark on her side. I looked at it closer and I saw it was a scar. The scar started at her hip and continued up her side. I gently pushed her tank up so I could see the rest of the scar and saw that went all the way up to the skinniest part of her torso. My eyes roamed her flat, skinny fragile body in lust but I quickly pulled the covers over her.
I lay back down on my back and looked up at the ceiling, thinking about her scar. I pulled the covers back quick again and looked at it. It was less noticeable at the top, but it started on her hip bone and it was a thicker there.
It wasn’t the kind of scar you get from a surgery, but it looked like there was a deep cut there once. I kept wondering what happened, I finally rested on the guess that it was from when she was younger and her dad was still living with her and her mom. Whenever I thought about her father beating up on her I felt heat go to my face in rage. How could anyone do that to an innocent little girl?

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard Emily stir next to me. I looked over at her and saw her eyes starting back at me, those beautiful green eyes. “Hey, Sunshine,” I whispered.

She smiled back and started looking at her surroundings. “You fell asleep, and I didn’t want to wake you,” I admitted sheepishly.

She made an ‘o’ with her mouth and laid on her back and looked up at the ceiling for a bit. I wondered if now what the right time to ask her about the scar, or if she would think it was creepy that I knew she had a giant ass scar on her side.

“Can I ask you a question?”

She turned to me and answered, “Ask away, rock star.”

I rolled my eyes and she propped herself up on her elbow, I’m glad she didn’t think it was awkward waking up next to me again. “Well, I couldn’t help but notice that--”

“Whoa! Is that clock right?!” I look at her to see she was looking behind me at the nightstand where the clock was sitting. I turned to look at it and it was 12:41 in the afternoon.

“Yeah? Why?”

She popped out of bed and started running to the door, “Shit! I’m going to be late!”