Status: Missed this?

Giving Up the World

Chapter 18

Frank
August of 1995
"Do you know when you get the stitches out and when you can take off that pad thing that's around your stomach?" Annabell asked as we sat in the basement on the recliner together.

I shrugged, "My stitches come out next weekend. The doctors said this pad thing could vary. It depends if my ribs heal correctly."

Annabell sighed and rested her head on my shoulder. "I can't believe he'd do this to you."

"He apologized and that's all that matters." I stated, defending Gerard which I found odd.

I wasn't too sure why I had chosen to defend but I did. He was my best friend's brother. Even though he bashed me up, I could tell he was really upset when he apologized. He did cry a little. Well sort of. Still, he looked so upset when he saw me in the kitchen. In a way, he looked heart broken. As if he couldn't believe what he had done.

I sat up carefully and got off the chair, pulling Annabell with me. "C'mon. Lets go see my mom at work." I suggested.

Annabell smiled and we made our way out of the basement. Before leaving, Annabell told her parents where she was going. We didn't need to be driven there. It was a short walk, probably 15 minutes. 5 minutes in a car. I could handle walking that far.

We got to the small diner and took a seat up at the 'bar'. It wasn't really a bar, they didn't serve bear but that's what it looked like. My mom worked behind the counter so I was sure to see her if I sat here.

As if on cue, my mom began to walk towards the two of us. She paused for a moment when she noticed that it was her son but continued with a smile on her face. I have to admit, I missed my mom a lot. I got off the 'bar' stool and walked behind the counter to give her a hug.

"Hey mom." I smiled as we pulled away from the hug.

"Oh, sweetie I've missed you so much." She gushed as she took a long look at me.

I smiled at her, "I've missed you too mom."

I gave her a quick hug before going back over to sit next to Annabell. My mom met me on the other side and asked us what we wanted. Once we got some food and something to drink, my mom came and sat in front of us so we could talk.

I swallowed the bite of pancakes before I began to talk. "So mom. Mikey and Gerard and their mom are leaving for the weekend... And - And I thought that maybe I could come back home?" I stumbled over a couple words as I asked.

Her smile grew wide, "Of course you can come home sweetie."

I smiled and let out a sigh of relief. I don't even know why I thought she'd say no. I was the one who left, it's not like she kicked me out. I just needed some space. Although I know my parents aren't going to get back together, I think I'll be fine now that I've had some space.

"So," My mom began, "Gerard did this to you?" She asked.

I sighed and rolled my eyes, " I don't want to talk about it... Not now."

With that, my mom shut up about the the situation. Annabell and I finished up eating. I said good bye to my mom and told her I'd see her at home. She smiled and kissed my cheek before I left. As we walked out the door, I wrapped my arm around Annabell's waist and kissed her head.

"You seem happy." She smiled as she removed my hand from around her waist and just held it in her own.

"Very." I smiled.