Sequel: The Secret Weapon
Status: Complete!

The Sake of Hope

"We're refugees now..."

Before I could look at my Aunt’s new guests, she had taken them upstairs and I, of course, had to start the tea. I set the water to boil and put out a small teas set in the big dining room. I looked down at my hands. It was so weird to see them pink and squeaky clean. Usually I was off roaming in town or on the outskirts. Generally, I cam home a mess. Now, my hands were pink, chapped, and well near rubbed raw from the laundry water. They were so wrinkly they made me feel old, so I stopped staring at them. I’m sure I looked pretty strange anyway.

***

“Well this is your room, Mr…. uh..?”
“Mushi. Just call me Mushi,” the plump man with a long gray beard said back to Aunt Jun.
“Oh… well, Mushi, this is your room, and-” she pointed at the teenage boy.
“Lee.”
“And, Lee, your room is the one straight across the hallway. You both heard the rates, and rent is NON-negotiable,” with that Mushi nodded.
“You don’t have to worry, Miss Jun. My nephew and I will be most grateful and respectful guests,” and he smiled. He certainly was a jolly old man. For a refugee especially.
“Yes, well, breakfast, dinner, and supper are served at the same time every day- eight, noon, and six- and we take our meals in the dining room- the left doorway in the kitchen. Right now we have no other renters, so you should feel quite comfortable. However, there are a number of children running around,” and she whistled. But, see, it wasn’t just a whistle. Lee and his uncle winced painfully once she’d blown air between her two fingers. It seemed to echo for miles.
But then, out of no where, there were feet. You could hear them scramble up the stairs, across the hall, and through the front door. Pretty soon, there were nine kids in Mushi’s bedroom.
“Now, seven of these are mine starting with, Zen,” and she cupped her hand around her mouth to say, “She’ll take you down.” Zen smiled a tooth-filled grin. Lee grinned sheepishly back.
“The next in line is the one attached to my leg at the moment, Hokou. He’ll generally be here, so you won’t see much of him. Next we have the twins, Mizu and Matsu, and they’re a handful as well- watch out. Then there’s quiet little Ima, my oldest girl, Aimi, and the oldest of them all, Zakuro. The other two here are my nephews, Natsu and his older brother Botan. They’re not half the trouble mine are, so they’ll help out if you need it.”
“It’s very nice to meet you, children,” Mushi bent down and spoke to the children. In unison they all answered, “It’s very nice to meet you, Mr. Mushi.” You could tell it had been rehearsed.
“I also have a niece about your age by the looks of it, Lee,” and she eyed him up and down. Mushi elbowed his nephew in the ribs and Lee glared down at him. “Her name is Sake. She’s my best worker here, so she’ll generally be busy, but if you need anything, she’s the first to ask if I’m not around.”
“I’m sure we’ll be fine, but I’ll keep her in mind. Thank you, Miss Jun, you’re far too kind.” He bowed his thanks and nudged Lee to do the same.
“Alright, out!” Aunt Jun shooed the children away. “Give the men some peace,” and all but Hokou- who was dragged off by Ima- scampered off quickly. “Now,” she turned back to Mushi and Lee, “Sake will have that tea now, if you’d like to take it in the dining room,” and she walked out, expecting them to follow.
Mushi started but turned when he realized that Lee was not following.
“What is the matter, Prince Zuko?”
“Quiet Uncle! Never call me that again… not while we’re here.”
“Sorry, Lee. But come join me for tea, I’m sure it will be most refreshing… if it is made properly that is.”
“How can you be so eager, Uncle? We’re refugees now. You work in a tea shop. We live with an old woman and her SEVEN KIDS!”
Mushi smiled.
“Don’t forget her nephews… and niece.,” and he winked.
Lee turned away and looked out the window.
“I’m not coming, Uncle,” and Mushi sighed.
“These people are very kind and have no reason to suspect us for anything other than what we look like. Now, if you want to go around being mysterious and strange, you will give them a reason to question us. Now, come down and have some tea- it will calm you.”
Lee closed his eyes. A long sigh escaped his lips and he removed his hat. He followed his uncle out the bedroom doorway.

***

“It’s good to meet you, Mr. Mushi- Mr. Lee.”
I appeared in the dining room with a tray of cups and a kettle of tea. I bowed a little, not letting the contents of the tray slide. As usual for a guest, I put on a bright smile. My hair was a little disheveled and wisps of it escaped the pin I had it in on the back of my head. Still, I put on a green apron over my robe and I was now wearing shoes.
Even though I was well prepared and still being a “perfect” waitress, I almost dropped the kettle when I poured Lee’s tea. All across his left eye was a huge scar- no doubt that from fire. I wanted to cry out just then. I wanted to ask him when he’d met the Fire Nation warriors. But, strangely, I wanted to ask him if he knew my brother. Of course, he wouldn’t have. He looked about my age, and not yet a soldier’s age, but still… he’d been so close… So close to that destructive heat that had come flaming out of a fist…
“Sake!”
I jumped. Apparently I had poured Lee and Mushi’s tea and was now staring at the table, with a kettle in my hands.
“Sake, will you go get the roasted duck out of the sack I left in the front room, please? I need to start on dinner.”
“Roast duck?!” Mushi said excitedly. He’d stopped with his cup in midair from his first sip. Lee closed his eyes and shook his head a little. I smiled. This pair seemed to be pretty amusing already. Maybe it wouldn’t be another group of dead beat renters and refugees. Sure, they were refugees, but they seemed just fine with it… well, Mushi anyway. Lee hadn’t spoken yet.
“I haven’t had roast duck in what seems like ages. What, may I ask, will it be prepared with?” He asked, eagerly.
“Well, if I know my aunt, it will be in tjain beans and gakto broth,” and Mushi closed his eyes and licked his lips hungrily. He opened them, smiled and took a sip of his tea.
“You must excuse me,” he said. “It’s been so long since a good, hardy meal. But this tea! It is most superb. Did you make it?”
I nodded.
“It’s my usual jasmine tea with a hint of mint. Do you enjoy it?”
“Do I ever! It’s almost as good as mine,” and he let out a hearty laugh. I grinned and giggled a little and looked at Lee. His right hand was looped around his cup, but it remained on the table. His head was down and he was looking straight into the cup, as if studying the dregs at the bottom of the translucent liquid. He blinked slowly now and then and seemed to be totally oblivious to his uncle’s joke. He seemed upset, angry maybe. He certainly didn’t inherit Mushi’s cheer. Which was another thing- I wondered why it was just him and his uncle. Where were his parents? Of course… I was no different. I lived with my aunt. But, I wondered if his parents were gone… completely. Or just... out like my own. Maybe it had something to do with his scar…
I suddenly felt bad for him and I didn’t even know why. I wanted so badly to ask him about his life, but I knew that would be rude. Not only that, but I doubt he’d even want to tell me- especially with me being such a stranger to him. And, I knew how little I liked to discuss my family. But still…
“Is there anything else I can get you, Lee?” I asked, feebly.
“No,” he said simply, and he didn’t look up.