Status: Complete! Prequel is And All Things Will End and Sequel is Shattered By Broken Dreams

Second Heartbeat

Chapter 23

“Hey kiddo” Johnny said sitting down on the bed beside Stormy.

“If you came to bitch, please don’t”

“I didn’t come to bitch, I came because I love you and I wanted to see if you were ok. I’m not here to lecture you, but I will tell you that Brian left in tears.”

“Thanks for the guilt trip” she said

“No, no guilt. I just wanted you to know that more people care about you than you think”

“I’m tired Johnny”

“Ok, I’ll take that as my cue to leave” he winked and kissed her head before walking out.

--

Zacky sat on the edge of the bed waiting for Aubrey to come upstairs. He seemed a little off to her all day and when she asked him about it he told her he would explain later. Well, it was later and she intended to hear his explanation.

She came back with a bottle of jack and two shot glasses. “You look like you could use something stronger than soda” she said taking a seat beside him. After filling both shot glasses she handed him one and set the bottle down on the floor. He did the shot and picked the bottle back up again, drinking straight from the lip.

“Wow, worse than I thought” she said,

“You know, I had no idea what love really was until today.” He said and she looked at him blankly waiting for him to continue.

“Aubrey, I’m such an asshole.” He whispered.

“No you aren’t, what is the matter?” she asked starting to worry.

He looked at her with pain in his eyes. “When we were in Vegas all of the other guys except Matt came home. I was selfish, I didn’t want to share that part of my life with you.”

“Is that all this is about?” she asked taking his hand in hers.

“No, today I was able to open my eyes for the first time in a long time and see what was right in front of me. When we saw the news about Sydney’s mom did you see the look on Matt’s face? The fear that something had happened to her?”

She nodded “Yeah of course”

“And when Stormy blacked out did you see how Brian panicked?”

She nodded again and waited for him to finish.

“I don’t ever want to feel what either of them were feeling today. I have been such a fucking idiot taking you for granted when all you have done since the day we met was love me without giving it a second thought.”

He took another swig from the bottle of courage and continued. “I don’t ever want to know what it feels like to lose you. I never loved you more than I do right now and I’m sorry I have been so distant lately. I’ll change, I promise.”

“Zacky…”

“I love you Aubrey. Do you still love me?”

She laughed and took the bottle out of his hand and set it down on the floor. After standing she walked in front of him so that she was now standing between his legs. Her finger lightly traced a tear that fell down his face. “How could I not love you?” she smiled. He put his arms around her waist and rested his forehead on her stomach.

“Thank you” he whispered.
♠ ♠ ♠
He doesnt deserve her, but they aren't the break up.