Status: Complete! Prequel is And All Things Will End and Sequel is Shattered By Broken Dreams

Second Heartbeat

Chapter 40

“Maybe we should take a break” as much as it hurt her to say; she knew they both needed it.

“No, how can you even consider giving up on us after everything we’ve been through?”

“I didn’t say I was giving up, I only suggested we take a break”

“I don’t want to take a break” he was adamant about staying together.

“So, you’d rather we continue on like this? Never being able to trust each other?”

He ran his hands through his hair and stood up off the bed.

“Face it, Matt, every time I am in the same room with Brian, you are going to watch the both of us like a hawk. Quiet honestly, I don’t like the idea of you being around all those girls when you go on tour either. Do you even know the thoughts that go through my head when I see you talking to those bimbos? You aren’t so innocent”

He turned and faced her, his face bore anger and his eyes were stone cold.

“It’s different for me, Syd. I have a reputation to uphold when I go out there and be M. Shadows. I am Matt with you, don’t you get that?”

She nodded. “So, was it M. Shadows or Matt that cheated on me?”

He sighed… she had him there. He walked back over to the bed and sat down.

“It’s obvious that we both have some unresolved issues, but we can go to couples therapy or worth through them ourselves. I want our kids to have the family they deserve, Syd.”

She closed her eyes in frustration and shook her head. “You know, I didn’t want kids. I wanted to wait and you insisted. Don’t get me wrong, I love Lyric and Seven more than I ever loved anything in the world, but you and I both know we weren’t ready to be parents.”

“Do you love me, Syd?”

“Of course I do, how can you even ask that?” she looked offended by his question.

“Then why not try?”

“Don’t you get it? I’m telling you this because I love you. We need a break Matt, because if we continue on like this, we’re going to end up hating each other.”

She watched as he got up and walked to his dresser. He took something out of the top drawer and hid it behind his back. When he sat down on the bed again, he sat facing her.

“One hand. I win, we worth through this. You win and we take a break”

He pulled his hand from his back that held the deck of cards.
(A/N: Refer back to and All Things Will End or for this to make sense)

She huffed and moved closer, sitting Indian style in front of him. “This is stupid, but if it makes you happy, fine”

He smiled and dealt the cards. One hand determined the fate of their relationship. One hand would decide if they would be sleeping in separate beds by the end of the night. One hand would change everything.

It was the one hand that she would actually win…

It’s over…
♠ ♠ ♠
So yeah...it's Matt and Syd.
But there's another sequel Shattered By Broken Dreams