Utopia

After-School Work

She tied her hair up in a messy bun and wrapped her apron around her waist tying it off quickly before she ran out into the dinning area. She had forgotten how busy it could get after-school when all the students came rushing in for an ice cream. It was a good thing that her uncle owned the place. It was a shop with special memories for her whole family. Her aunt refused to come near the place, but having heard the story, Willa understood why and couldn't blame the woman. If she had been in her shoes, she would do the same thing.

"Hey Willa!" she turned towards the door and smiled at the sight of one of her mentors, Richard. He was a handsome young man probably about six or seven years her senior, he was still the younger of the three brothers who tutored her. He stood a bit over six feet tall with shoulder-length black hair and bright blue eyes. It was little wonder that any girl would fall for him at just the sight of him. "The boys and I have a run to make down south this afternoon. Your uncle promised to pick you up after your shift ends."

Willa nodded and gave him a thumbs up. Internally, she as a little disappointed. She wanted it to be Richard who picked her up. She loved her uncle, but she had a serious crush on Richard. Too bad he didn't seem to notice it at all. Willa sighed and waved to Richard good-bye. There was only so much a girl could do without looking pathetic and if there was one thing Miss Willa Cox was not, it was pathetic. Instead she focused on her shift. It was unusually busy probably because it was the first day at school and kids needed the chance to unwind. She didn't get it in the same way that they did, but she did get to laugh and smile with them. That was good enough for her. It allowed her to relax in her own way.

Five minutes to five was the beginning of her break. She waved good-bye to her co-workers and skipped off to the cafe down the street. As soon as she stepped inside, she pause. She felt something...different. She cocked her head to the side curious. She chewed her lip for a moment. Her uncle and her tutors were going to kill her if they knew what she was about to do. She couldn't help it though. She found herself walking towards a booth occupied by one and plopping down on the empty bench. "You don't mind if I join you do you?" she asked with a bright smile. "I'm Willa Cox. I'm a witch. I don't think you're a sorcerer...you're alone after all. So does...does that mean you're a Necro Half-Breed?" It was an impetuous question and dangerous in the open like this, but her curiosity was getting the better of her.