Unlucky in Love

Emma

“Okay, I know you’re twins, but you guys look way too similar.” I commented as I looked across from me at Dominic and Daveigh. Daveigh had just shown up at dinner and sat next to Dominic.

“Can I take your drink orders?” the waiter asked when he walked up. He looked about twenty-two at most, and he smiled at Daveigh.

She gave a flirty smile back. “Um, I’ll have a strawberry mango margarita.”

“She’s nineteen,” Dominic interjected, and Daveigh’s eyes flashed to him and glared. After a moment her sweet expression returned as she turned back to the waiter.

“A virgin strawberry mango margarita.”

He nodded and took me and Dominic’s orders, and then left.

Dominic scoffed. “Wow, Vay, a waiter at Chili’s. Dad will be so proud.” He said sarcastically, and she rolled her eyes and took a chip and dipped it in the queso, and then salsa. Yeah, she wasn’t always the most courteous when it came to sharing food.

I just shook my head while they started bickering. They’ll just never learn. About twenty minutes later, all conversation died down as we got our food. I was starving.

“So, weren’t you supposed to have Emma by now?” Daveigh asked, and Dominic sighed. He knew all too well how anxious I was to have my own body back. Yes, I loved my baby, but I wanted to be able to bend over and to not spend two minutes just trying to get out of bed.

I took a sip of my water. “Yes,” I said, and then took another bite of my dinner. I cleared my throat. “My doctor said it that if I don’t go into labor in the next three days, that they’ll have to induce no later than the fourth.”

“Well, she needs to hurry her ass up, because I want to see her.”

“Trust me, I know.” I said irritably.

…Dominic’s POV…

“Dominic?” I heard my name, and my eyes opened. Ember was sitting up in bed, her back tense. I sat up and looked around her to see the alarm clock. It was three-ten in the morning.

“Em, you okay?” I asked, yawning.

She shook her head. “No.” she said, her voice shaky as if trying to keep calm. “I think it’s…you know,” I stared at her back, trying to figure that out in my slowly working brain. As soon as I realized what she had said, I jumped out of bed quickly and went around to her. “I think you should probably get the stuff out to the car.”

* * *

“How do you think she’s doing?” Daveigh asked, flipping through a magazine. We were in the waiting room. I had needed a little break, so I told her I was going to get her something to read. And that was about forty-five minutes ago.

I shrugged. “I know she probably wants to kill me right now.”

Daveigh laughed. “Why do all guys think that we only want to kill you when we’re in pain? We really want to kill you 24/7, so don’t think it’s because you guys were retarded and decided to make a baby.”

“She decided,” I corrected, and she gave me an oh-come-on look.

“Have you called Mom yet?” she asked.

I shook my head.

“Are you scared to call your mother?” she asked, even more condescending this time. I shook my head and leaned my head against the wall behind me and sank down in the chair. I was so tired. “You want me to call her?”

I opened my eyes and tossed her my iPhone. I closed my eyes again and went back to trying to sleep.

“Hey, Daddy…yeah, I know it’s early. Is Mom with you?…Okay…Mommy, Dominic was supposed to call you, but he was really preoccupied—anyway, um, Ember’s going to have the baby soon…yeah, I’ll call you when she’s born…okay, bye…love you, too.” Daveigh hung up and tossed it back to me. “Was that so hard?”

“Shut up, Daveigh.” I muttered, half-asleep.

“What?” my eyes popped open when I heard Ember screech.

I got up and went into the room. Ember was fighting with a doctor about something.

“Why can’t I have it?” she hissed at him.

He sighed and had a nurse take away a needle. “Because, you have a tattoo on your back, and by putting a needle through, it can give you an infection. I refuse to give an epidural to someone who has a tattoo anywhere near the spine.”

“Are you fucking serious?” she snapped. He nodded once. “Fine, then, how about a C-section?”

“I wouldn’t recommend that since there’s nothing medically wrong with you or the baby, and it’s not even time to deliver yet.” He told her, sounding more rational. Why don’t you just relax? Just lie down, take a breather.”

…Ember’s POV…

Oh, God, I hated this.

I couldn’t get any drugs, Dominic looked like he was about ready to pass out, and my head was killing me. Pain always brought on really bad headaches, and I could feel a throb behind my right eye.

This was going to be a really long day.

* * *

“She’s so tiny,” I commented, staring down at her. Dominic was sitting in the chair next to my bed, holding Emma. She was sleeping, totally content in his arms.

When I held her, she cried. When Dominic held her, she was just a quiet little angel. So, what did that say? That she was a Daddy’s girl?

It wouldn’t surprise me.

“She looks just like you. It’s kind of scary,” he said, and she stirred and woke up. Her sparkly blue eyes looked up at him.

“You think?” I asked, and he nodded.

He shifted. “You wanna try holding her again? I have to go call my mom.”

I nodded, and he slowly got up and passed her to me. “Please don’t cry,” I whispered several times in the few seconds it took to hand her to me. She fussed a little bit, and then calmed down, and I let out a sigh of relief. I guess she didn’t hate me.

She started to fuss when Dominic left the room. Okay, yeah, possibility that she hated me. I shifted her, and she looked up at me, her eyes completely fixated.

She was so much prettier than I had ever dreamed of. Her eyes were huge and pure blue. Her hair was really short, fine, and a really light brown, almost the color of mine but a tad bit lighter. She had this tiny little mouth with full lips and a small little nose. Her skin was creamy and her cheeks were a little flushed.

She was just perfect.

And she was mine. She was something I could keep forever, no matter what.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi! I think I mentioned that this will kind of progress slowly, so I'm sorry about that! I'll try to have another chapter out soon.

Oh, and here's a picture of the cutest little girl I've ever seen. She kind of inspired what Emma would look like as a toddler.