Unlucky in Love

Stable

…Ember’s POV…

I was an idiot.

I was an idiot.

I was such a freaking idiot.

And now I was an idiot who was sitting at a table with people who probably hated me more than anyone.

To Leah, I was the bitch who married her boyfriend.

To Autumn, I was the bitch who got depressed and pregnant and moved away.

To everyone else—aside from Dominic and Daveigh—I was an annoyance and didn’t fit in their group.

But back to being an idiot…at least I was a married one. But, God, I couldn’t handle another baby right now—I was still getting used to Emma.

I didn’t even want to think about that.

And it’s not like I could find out tomorrow—it would take at least a month and a half.

But I was fine.

I wasn’t going to get pregnant.

Fuck I hope I don’t.

“So you guys are, what, moving up here?” Daveigh asked, getting straight to the point as per usual.

“Well, we found a few apartments and there are a lot of great schools up here, and plus, a change of scenery is pretty nice.” Leah told her.

I could feel the tension between them.

It was so loaded between Leah and Daveigh…

Hmm. How could I say this?

Daveigh and Leah had been best friends since, like, eighth grade. Leah dated her brother, and then Daveigh started dating her brother’s best friend—I’ll admit, it was freaking weird.

But, hey, it worked for them.

Daveigh and Logan seemed like the absolute perfect couple, but it was totally obvious that Logan was a player, and Daveigh was just convincing herself that he loves her and that he would never date anyone else.

Of course, we all found out she was wrong when he announced it at my wedding that he knocked up her best friend.

Thus ending the friendship and both relationships.

“Okay, but why Portland?” Daveigh pressed.

Autumn and I shared a look that brought up some comforting familiarity. She knew me better than myself, even though we don’t even talk anymore. I still cared about her, and I knew she still cared about me even though she was hanging out with a walking chlamydia magnet.

“Is it because we were already up here so you had to copy?” she continued, and I rolled my eyes.

Yeah, high school is over, I thought to myself.

“It had nothing to do with that, Daveigh,” Logan said, and her eyes were on him in an instant.

She held up her right, perfectly manicured index finger at him. “You don’t talk to me,” she hissed. “I just want to know why you all think it’s okay to start new shit now. It’s been almost a year; you need to get out of the high school phase because I won’t put up with it now. I won’t put up with fake blonde bitches or douche bags who think it’s cool to fuck their girlfriend’s best friend.” She had lowered her voice when she noticed people turn and look. “You all just need to grow up. I can’t really speak for Autumn, but the rest of you are way too immature.”

“How about you all shut up?” I suggested, not trying to sound bitchy. “You guys want to move up here? Fine, go for it. It’s not like we even have to see each other.”

“Exactly,” Autumn added, nodding to Leah. “We don’t have to hang out or even see each other. It’ll be fine.”

“Yeah,” I said. “Now, we should probably get going.” I got up and Daveigh and Dominic stood up also.

We walked outside and Daveigh took out a cigarette and her lighter from her purse. Dominic sighed.

“Where did you get that?” he asked her.

She breathed out the nauseating smoke. “I bought it before dinner because I had a feeling I’d need them.”

“I thought you quit.” He argued. Hell, I hadn’t even known she smoked to begin with.

She nodded and took in another long puff. “Again, this is for emergencies.”

Leah, Autumn, Sean, and Logan then walked out. Daveigh and Logan met eyes, and she finished the cigarette and flicked it onto the ground. She walked down to her white BMW, got in, and started it just as quickly as she pulled out.

Logan, Leah and Sean started walking off, but Autumn stayed behind.

“I’m going to go get the car,” Dominic told me, and I nodded.

She laughed to herself. “That was interesting.” She said dryly.

“No kidding.” I replied. “I thought Daveigh was about to pummel him.”

“Oh, I know. Leah would deserve it though.”

I narrowed my eyes at her. “I thought she was your best friend.” I countered.

Autumn shrugged. “She’s my friend…but she’s still a bitch. And I don’t entirely feel comfortable calling her my best friend, because she doesn’t even compare to the one I had before.”

“Why are you here?” I asked flatly. “Do you want to just come and toy with my mind or something? Because I’m over all of that. As far as I’m concerned, Daveigh is my best friend.” I sighed. “Other than that, I have Emma and Dominic. And I’m fine with that.”

“I’m not—I wish we could start over…with everything. I shouldn’t have done that to you when you were dealing with the baby and your mom and…it just wasn’t right how I handled it.”

I shrugged. “I’m over it. I have better things to do now. For the first time, I feel stable, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I have a Formspring, in case any of you wanted to ask me anything you want (and you could do it anonymously)...so yeah, just to let you know.