Dead in the Water

This Is The Hardest Part

(Nonnie’s POV)

I was lying in a canopy bed with sheer black fabric draped over the sides of the canopy. I looked down to see that I was only wearing a lacy black bra and boy shorts to match. The only thing that told me that this wasn’t a dream was the pain I felt in my shoulder. I tried to move it, but the pain was too much. I had over done it fighting Gerard. I looked around. I knew he would make an appearance sooner or later.

“Frank I could really use your help right about now,” I thought. Hoping that he would hear it.

“Where is Gerard?” he responded. I could hear the worry in his voice.

“I don’t know. You remember my dreams, this place looks exactly the same. He‘s…”

“He won’t be able to find it,” Gerard said coming from the shadows. “You don’t even know where you are. There’s no way…”

“Nonnie don‘t worry, I‘m coming.” Frank said. I closed my eyes and started praying that he would make it in time.

“Oh no Sugar, not this time. I’ve been trying to give you time to see reason, but I can see that you are still stubborn as ever. I’m tired of waiting.” he walked over to the bed and I started scooting away from him. He grabbed me by my left arm and pulled me into his arms. I screamed from the pain that shot through my body. Then I started hitting and kicking him but he started squeezing me. “I can stop the pain,” he said.

“Frank, I’m scared,”

“I’m coming Nonnie. Fight…Just please fight…” I didn’t hear anymore of what he was saying. Gerard was nibbling on my neck. I felt my heart rate speed up.

“Don’t be scared, this is the hardest part.” he said, then he sunk his teeth into my neck. I didn’t scream this time. I knew it wouldn’t do me any good. It started getting hard to breath and I could tell my heart was struggling to pump what little blood I still had. “Drink,” he cut his wrist and put it to my lips. I clinched my lips closed.

He pinched my nose closed so that I couldn’t breath. Tears started streaming down my face. Finally I couldn’t hold my breath any longer. I gasped for air. A metallic taste connected with my tongue and soon changed to something sweet like honey. He let go of my nose. I grabbed onto his wrist and drink as though my life depended on it. Then the pain hit. It was like no other pain I’d ever felt. My heart started beating at an impossibly fast rate and it started getting hard to breath.

“It’ll pass,” he said pulling me into his arms. Finally the darkness came.

I shot up in bed and looked around, I couldn’t remember where I was or how I got there. I couldn’t even remember my name, but I could feel pain in my stomach. A hunger was growing inside me. I needed to eat. I stumbled out of the bed I was lying in. I heard the steady beating of a heart. It was calling me toward it. I turned to see a man lying on the floor of the room. He was wearing a t-shirt and jeans and had brown hair. I felt pain in my gums and reached up to touch them. There I found two sharp teeth. I heard the heart beat start to speed up. He was waking up.

“How did I get here?” he asked I don’t even think he noticed me there. When he did he smiled as his eyes traveled up my body. “Wow,” I looked at myself. I was only wearing underwear. My hair was long past my shoulder blades. Then he looked at my face and his heart beat went even faster. He was starting to panic. I could smell his fear and it was almost more enticing than his heart beat. Within seconds I had my hand around his neck and was lifting him off the ground.

“Feed,” I turned to see another man. He was pale and had long black hair and hazel eyes. I knew what he meant, but I couldn’t do that. I couldn’t hurt this man. He walked over he seemed angry at my hesitation. He took the man from my grasp and bit his neck. The smell of blood filled the room and made my mouth water. I took a few steps back trying to get the smell out of my nose. I didn’t want to hurt the man, but I couldn’t resist that smell. I walked up to him and I tilted the mans neck and sunk my teeth into him. He struggled against me, but I just ignored it and kept drinking. I could hear his heart beat slowing, but the pain from my hunger was leaving me quickly. The slower his heart beat the worst I started to feel. Then it hit me I was killing him. I pulled away from his neck and dropped him to the ground. “Finish eating Sugar.”

“I’ve had enough,” I looked over at him and he walked over to me. Instantly his lips were on mine. I kissed him back eagerly.

“Now that wasn’t so bad was it? Do you remember me?” I shook my head no. “I’m Gerard.”

“Who am I?” I asked.

“You’re Nonnie, my love. We belong together.” Flashes of him and me rolling around in the bed I woke up in came flooding into my mind.

“Gee?” I said.

“Yes love. That’s me.” he wrapped his arms around me.

“I’m so cold,”

“You’ll get used to it,” he picked me up and carried me to the bed. “For now we should rest. We are going to have a full night.” I did as I was told and let him pull me close in the bed.